Avoiding french Toll Roads

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by motorvating, Jun 13, 2010.

1. motorvating

motorvating Read Only Funster

we are off to Agde in france in a couple of weeks, and am thinking of avoiding the tolls as much as possible when we drive through France. I'm thinking of driving from calais to Rouen, Evreux, Chartres to Orleans, and then down the A20 N20 to Toulouse.

Does anybody know what the A20 N20 is like to drive?

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Its Ok,
    Like with most french roads.

The secret is prepare to toll round certain towns and then just jump back on the n roads. Make sure you have a good map, a good map reader and lob your sat nav out the window. Best way to see real France

3. motorvating

I have no chance of a good map reader becasue my wife is cartography dyslexic, so will have to rely on the sat nav set to no toll roads.:BigGrin:

4. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

not nearly as good as carrying on from orleans to clermont ferrand , then taking the free A75 motorway all the way to the med , straight to cap d'agde

of course you will have to pay to cross the millau viaduct , but you can drive through millau instead , and stay at the free aire by the gendarmerie , you get a much better view of the viaduct anyway

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

The main thing to remember if your driving an RV,is dont use the N roads to save money on the tolls.
    Its OK with a Euro camper,you will save a bit by using N roads but with an RV you will be out of pocket.
    What money you save on tolls will be used up in fuel.
    It always depends on how long your going for...if only a couple of weeks,use the tolls,otherwise your holls are gone before you get there.

6. motorvating

We drove that way to the med last year in two days, and stopped sat Billom just east of Clermont Ferrand.

7. EMS

EMS Read Only Funster

Routes to Toulouse

I have travelled this route many times as I used to work in Toulouse, I have seen the route improve over the years so that it is now mostly motorway of a very good quality.
    Large sections of the motorway are free so you need to check on the internet to find these sections, then simply avoid the other "Payage" sections, noting that around most large towns the "Rocade" or bypass is free. Or pay attention to the signs Payage and avoid these sections.
    Take care when approachingand leaving Limoge area as the motorway has some sharpish bends and steepish slopes.
    Be aware that there are often radar speed checks by gendarmes on the bridges over the motoways.
    The decision for you is wether you wish to meander to the south or to arrive in the south and then meander about, if you are not pressed for time then there is a great deal to be gained by a slower route sampling the cider in Normandy then the Loir wines before the great wines (but les well known) from Cahor.
    Seing on route Gland, Rocamadour, Figeac etc. enjoy the jouney it is not a race.....:Smile:

8. motorvating

mmmm something to think about. I did not think about all the stop starts in towns, I can't remember what we paid in tolls last year going from Calais, Orleans and down the A75, but it blooming expensive and could have filled my tank up.

How much longer would the route I suggested add to my journey?

9. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

you will probably be on the N154 from everaux to chatres you could stay on it and bypass orleans hitting the A10 around Artenay jtn13 (cuts off the corner A11/A10to orleans) then running onto the A71 and A20.

10. tonybrightspark

tonybrightspark Read Only Funster

Don't always take that sat nav as gospel, do as Haganap says.
    Went by it avoiding tolls and fastest route when it took us through the middle of Rouen last week coming home, did'nt need that aggro!

tonybrightspark

11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i,ve never used a sat nav anywhere. travel europe frequently. try my best not to use tolls .life is only a game ,the game is no tolls,motorways or dual carriageways if there is another road. doesnt matter if you cant play the game .its not real its a game. if you use n roads i think you get a better view of the country you are in. sometimes you just have to get a move on then use what ever . but enjoy your trip the journey is part of the fun. cheers alan.
    we sometimes play how slow can you go . specialy on narrow country roads if someone is pushing up your rear. have fun.

12. olley

olley Funster

Hi guy posted on another forum last week that it cost him £120 to go from Calais to St Tropez, and that was only as class 2. If your over 3.5t you should be class 3, and thats around another 25% more. :cry:

Olley

13. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

I go N1 to abbeville
    free motorway to rouen
    N154 to orleans ...I go through the town to shop etc so don't know if you pay for the rocade , the trucks go on to the motorway where this route crosses the A10 north of orleans
    N20 to salbris
    D944 to bourges
    N144 south to montlucon then clermont ferrand
    A75

total tolls paid ...zero

the only variation on this route is picking up the A75 north of montlucon if I am in a hurry , as the N 144 from there to clermont ferrand is twisty ...last time I did that it cost €7 for a class 2 motorhome , can't say what it is today

14. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We were there too last Wed and for the same reason :Rofl1::Rofl1: Fun wasn't it.:BigGrin:

Mike

15. madbluemad

madbluemad

Were going next week. We havent been with the mh before so we have planned a route on the sat nav and another by using the map. I think that we will only use the sat nav if were lost.

June is an excellent navigator and Ive got every confidence in her, I trust her map reading before the sat nav.

At the end of the day I dont care. Wherever we end up we will enjoy it.

Looking at google sreet view the the signposts predominantley give place names rather than road numbers so as long as we have a rough idea of where were going we will be fine.

Jim

:Wink:

16. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

My sat nav (which I love) sometimes has trouble with the tolls/no tolls bit. Long parts of some of the big roads are free and it makes sense to use them sometimes. If set to no tolls the sat nav will not let us near them. We have a decent map that shows which bits you pay for and which you do not. Very useful indeed! Hope that helps a bit. Jane :Smile:

17. madbluemad

madbluemad

I agree, use a good map. If you end up somwhere that you didnt want to be, just pretend that its exactley where you wanted to be and enjoy it. Its not like its a package deal holiday to Tenerife or something.
    Jim
    :Smile:

18. georgio

georgio Read Only Funster

Morning all,

We always avoid the toll roads now we have the class 2 van except for getting round big cities to void traffic lights and making a wrong turning.
    Two years ago it cost us £150 from callais to spanish border.

georgio

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the only dead line you need is the ferry and that can be changed .you are on an adventure. you may never get where you thought you were going .thats the adventure.
    every where is nice if you take time to see it. even the cities and towns. pretend no body as been there before so you have to find the way .its your your turn to be livingstone who is your partner cant remember. have fun slow down its a big world you dont want to miss anything.
    cheers alan.

20. Wintonian

Wintonian Read Only Funster

Quite agree. If the only point is getting from A to B it is usually better to take a plane and hire a car at the destination. With a MH that is not what we are doing, is it?