LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We are staying on a block pave driveway tomorrow night. Our hosts have asked whether there is a risk of damage to their drive.

We have a Merc Sprinter 312 (weighing in at around 2900 kg loaded up). What is the likelihood that a driveway will be damaged by 1) driving over it and 2) parking on it?

I have cut some boards to put under the tyres in case we are likely to damage the drive when parked up but they won't stop damage as we maneuver onto it and I don't really want to lug them about if the risk is minuscule. If they are needed, what size do they need to be?

Cheers

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We are staying on a block pave driveway tomorrow night. Our hosts have asked whether there is a risk of damage to their drive.

We have a Merc Sprinter 312 (weighing in at around 2900 kg loaded up). What is the likelihood that a driveway will be damaged by 1) driving over it and 2) parking on it?

I have cut some boards to put under the tyres in case we are likely to damage the drive when parked up but they won't stop damage as we maneuver onto it and I don't really want to lug them about if the risk is minuscule. If they are needed, what size do they need to be?

Cheers

Block pavoir is as solid as houses once set and sanded in, Roman roads were built that way and some are still around:thumb:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
If you had a LandRover Discovery would they be asking if that would damage the drive? With 4 passengers and some luggage this would virtually equal the weight of your van. Think they may be being over cautious.

Weight of LandRover Discovery excluding passengers:

Kerb weight5,333 lb (2,419 kg) - 5,426 lb (2,461 kg)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have mine (4500kg semi-loaded) on our block paving and it is no problem at all. If it was constructed properly then I don't think there will be a problem.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My 5 ton camper lives on block paving when at home with no problems.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
If it been laid correctly then no
But on ours I park on 2 by 2 ply under each wheel just in case
With a load of 1 ton each wheel works out at about 2.8 ton per square meter as against about 70 ton per square meter on tyres
Big difference ?

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
mine is based on a 315 sprinter & weighs in at 3.85t, we have a block paved drive which it stands on when not in use (since 2009) No signs of damage to the drive as yet

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I park mine on my dads when i want him to wash it and so far no problems apart from he cant reach the high bits but thats to do with his height not the paving :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks for all of your quick replies - reassuring to hear. I also think that they are being over-cautious but wanted to check.

On a similar note, I'm trying to get hold of some old bread crates but no luck so far. Any suggestions as to sources? We've spent a few nights on grass pitches / fields and sunk slightly - we want to avoid that particularly when it is wetter.

Cheers

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Thanks for all of your quick replies - reassuring to hear. I also think that they are being over-cautious but wanted to check.

On a similar note, I'm trying to get hold of some old bread crates but no luck so far. Any suggestions as to sources? We've spent a few nights on grass pitches / fields and sunk slightly - we want to avoid that particularly when it is wetter.

Cheers

Back door of morrisons :ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I got a couple from my local baker as he had a few broken ones, so pop in and ask him or if your up early and see the delivery driver ask him im sure for a couple of pound he might help you out. if not you can buy them on ebay.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger

Cheers
If constructed properly no problems I have a friend who has a works van and has clearly damaged his driveway

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'll see if I can get to a bakers - the only ones on Ebay that I have seen are in bulk lots - too many for my needs and too far to drive to try and arrange just to buy a couple.

Our neighbours' drives have damage caused by vehicles but we live on almost solid clay so there is loads of natural movement of the soil and it is not uncommon for drives to get deformed. I hope that our hosts have been a bit more selective with the people that built their drive as well (we have suspicion that one of our neighbours was tempted by the "special offer" given by the door-to-door sales person offering to do the work for them) but will use the wooden boards just in case.

Thanks

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Block drive ways

I have had a 20 ton Grab lorry on mine along with it turning round when I built an extension and not a single block broke, turned or showed any sign of damage.
So if a drive has been put down correctly you should have no problems at all.

Also my Rapido gross weight 3800Kg lives on the drive without problems.::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a Land Rover discovery that is 2.7 tons loaded and that is always parked on our block drive. Don't worry about it, if properly laid you could park anything on it.:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I have a Land Rover discovery that is 2.7 tons loaded and that is always parked on our block drive. Don't worry about it, if properly laid you could park anything on it.:thumb:

Right that's it I bringing the jumbo jet around next week. So clear the road so I can get in !! :ROFLMAO::Blush::RollEyes::Doh:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

Cheers

No probs. I once drove a Chieftain tank over a block paved shopping precinct in Germany. OK, so they weren't too chuffed about it, but hey, no damage occurred. Admittedly the ground to weight ratio of a Chieftain is pretty low, 1 & 1/2lb per sq inch, but it does weigh in at 52 tons. The secret, I think, is not to move the steering whilst stationary, just in case you shove the paving to one side. Drive on straight, and off the same way. ::bigsmile:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It's not really much good when people say that they have parked on block paving with no problem. Unless you know how the drive you are going to was constructed then you have no idea until you park on it.
If the block paving was done when the house was built then there's a good chance it was done properly and you will not have a problem, if it has been done by jack the lad at a later date then who knows.

Mike

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Block drives are just that drives, we have one no problems, if it was done as a drive it should be up to the job.my MH is 3.300k

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back