Avoiding A63 Tolls at Muret and Castets, S of Bordeaux (1 Viewer)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
I looked at the previous "Toll Costs" thread before deciding to start this one dedicated to these two tolls.

There appears to be a short and direct route around these toll booths between (travelling south,) junctions 18/17 (Muret Toll) and 12/11 (Castets Toll), along the side of the A63. For us, over 3m high and 5.5 tons, these tolls are 15 euros each, so I traced the routes using Google Street View to search for a route traffic-signed to allow vehicles up to 7.5 tons.

The detail of the top and bottom elements of these two routes is shown in the maps (as .pdfs). The mostly straight road between the top and bottom elements is not shown as it isn't particularly relevant.

On Google Street View these routes are signed as only prohibited to vehicles over 7.5 tons. There are no traffic signs prohibiting vehicles over 3.5 tons. Has anyone got experience of the routes? The Google Streets data that I've used to look for weight restrictions is likely to be a couple of years out of date.

Attachments

• CastetsMagescqDiversionNorth.pdf
    123.8 KB · Views: 54
  • CastetsMagescqDiversionSouth.pdf
    119.7 KB · Views: 24
  • MuretLipostheyDiversionNorth.pdf
    82.2 KB · Views: 25
  • MuretLipostheyDiversionSouth.pdf
    61.8 KB · Views: 24

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As an alternative to hugging the Toll road, you could consider the D947 (Route de Dax) turning right onto the Route de Cluquelardits to Herm and then onto onto the Ave de Ocean to Magescq where you can rejoin the dual carriageway. Longer I appreciate but far better than finding yourself on an unsuitable road.

OP
OP
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Well, just arrived in southern Spain having tried these routes.

Driving south, the first route avoids the Saugnac & Muret toll booth and involves leaving the Autoroute at jnct 18. At exit ramp roundabout take first exit (north west) into Muret village (terrible road surface through village) and meet D384 on far side of village. Turn left, south, on D384 on very coarse road surface for nearly a mile (30mph max) where a left turn takes you east, under the Autoroute, and then a right, south, along the service road (good surface, 40/45mph) which is parallel to the Autoroute until Lisposthey, where you rejoin the A63, 15 euros better off. (5.5 tons and over 3 m high.) The only restrictions on this route concern vehicles exceeding 7.5tons. Time delay - maybe 15 minutes.

The route travelling south, avoiding the Castets toll booth, involves leaving the A63 at jnct 12 and, at the roundabout at the top of the exit ramp, taking the first exit through the industrial estate (not the second, which has a 3.5ton restriction through the town), to the D10E, which is the old N10. Turn left, south, onto it and continue as it runs parallel to the A63 until Magesq, where you rejoin the A63. 40/45mph mostly on a good surface, except for the last mile into Magesq which has a poor road surface (30mph). Delay - 10 minutes. The only restriction on this route is for vehicles exceeding 7.5 tons. We saved another 15 euros.

I think I would do it again in future as it saves nearly half a tank of diesel and only takes half an hour longer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I've tried variations of this heading south and it works ok for us. Apologies if its duplicated the info already given.

Leave A63 at J18 and follow D834 to Pissos, t/r onto D43 towards Liposthey and rejoin autoroute at J17.

(At Pissos there is a car park behind the church in the town that tolerates overnighting. 44.30808 -0.77610
There is also a public toilet in a small car park near the front of the church where you can empty the loo if req'd and fill up as there is a tap there as well.)

If you're not in a rush, from Pissos you can continue down the D834 to Mont de Marsan then pick up the D824 dual carriageway past Dax and rejoin at Junc 10, that way you miss 2 toll points.

(Nice aire at St Paul les Dax for an ons).

You can also avoid another toll by continuing along the D824/D810 from Dax that avoids a 3rd toll booth rejoining at Junc 7 but St Vincent de Tyrosse is a bit of a bottleneck, should be ok out of season though.

2nd hand info for toll prices on that stretch afaik are..

The toll between J18/19 is €5.30.
The toll between J12/11 is also €5.30.
The toll at J8 is also €5.30
All are for Classe 2

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread