AVG free not updating (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Have been running with AVG 8.5 free version for a few months now all perfectly ok......until today.

It's stating the av and spyware databases are outdated but when i attempt to run updates i get "Your computer system time seems to be inaccurate. This may lead to false virus database up-to-dateness reporting. Please correct your system time if possible."

Exactly what are they referring to as "system time"......the clock or what??

I tried an uninstall and re-install but it just got back to the same again.

Working 100% ok last night, but now isn't. Any ideas folks?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi,

toaccess the system time....

shut down your comruter,

restart as normal,

before it boots open the bios settings page....usually F2 or DEL button

when the bios opens look for SYSTEM TIME and SYSTEM DATE using the ARROW KEYS and ENTER to select....mouse wont work.

if incorrect then adjust the time and date, the date is in month/day/year mode and then SAVE AND EXIT.

should do the trick.

for some unknown reason mine altered of its own accord a while ago.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thanks John......you were right. :thumb:

For some weird reason the date in my bios was at Wednesday 10th June!! How or what did that God only knows. Obviously there is a 'higher power' at work other than Microsoft!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thanks John......you were right. :thumb:

For some weird reason the date in my bios was at Wednesday 10th June!! How or what did that God only knows. Obviously there is a 'higher power' at work other than Microsoft!

Keep an eye on date/time Could be your CMOS battery may need to be replaced.

Regards

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Keep an eye on date/time Could be your CMOS battery may need to be replaced.

Regards
Looks as though that could be a possibility.
Had a look in my user manual and the battery is an easy replacement.........but despite much 'googling', cannot find anyone who sells the damn thing!

The part number is XBT9E1

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looks as though that could be a possibility.
Had a look in my user manual and the battery is an easy replacement.........but despite much 'googling', cannot find anyone who sells the damn thing!

The part number is XBT9E1
Is XBT9E1 the part number for the battery or for the socket? Diagrams I've found on-line using Google aren't all that clear as to which is meant.

CMOS batteries are usually the round "coin" type, such as CR2032 CR2016 etc, these days.

If you open up your system unit you may find that such a number is on the current battery, despite what the manual says.

If not, take the current battery to a local supplier - market stalls often have a good range as well as computer shops - and they will probably be able to supply an equivalent.

Graham

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Is XBT9E1 the part number for the battery or for the socket? Diagrams I've found on-line using Google aren't all that clear as to which is meant.

CMOS batteries are usually the round "coin" type, such as CR2032 CR2016 etc, these days.

If you open up your system unit you may find that such a number is on the current battery, despite what the manual says.

If not, take the current battery to a local supplier - market stalls often have a good range as well as computer shops - and they will probably be able to supply an equivalent.

Graham
Oooo.....err. I think i've dropped a boo boo! :Doh:

Here is an online diagram of exactly what i have printed in my Dell PC user manual and what i have been looking at. It seems, as you rightly say Graham....that is the socket, not the battery! Turning a few more pages and i now find CR2032 is the battery! :RollEyes:
Obviously having another of my 'senior moments'. :Sad:

Link Removed

I only recently 'lost' the day/date and now corrected it via BIOS and 'sinbad' suggested it could be the cmos battery beginning to fail (had the pc about 6yrs from new). Would i be right in saying that the bios settings are all i need take note of before replacing the battery?

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Oooo.....err. I think i've dropped a boo bo

I only recently 'lost' the day/date and now corrected it via BIOS and 'sinbad' suggested it could be the cmos battery beginning to fail (had the pc about 6yrs from new). Would i be right in saying that the bios settings are all i need take note of before replacing the battery?

Yes you are correct just make a note of the settings in case, more probable that the setting wiill remain.( remove old and replace new in a short space of time should retain bios info)

follow the replacement method
Click here

make sure of the battery polarity + up pretty common battery even supermarkets sell them.

Regards

ps
The only settings you should need to remember are those that
are changed from the defaults

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Yes you are correct just make a note of the settings in case, more probable that the setting wiill remain.( remove old and replace new in a short space of time should retain bios info)

Click here

make sure of the battery polarity + up pretty common battery even supermarkets sell them.

Regards

ps
The only settings you should need to remember are those that
are changed from the defaults
I'll have a look at weekend when i'm in Morrisons! If they don't have any then i'll order off eBay!

Thanks for that. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back