Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
We travel 70 to 75 but restricted to 60 to 65 when towing Snowdrop our 107 pug, most speedo's are 10% fast at 70 mph, have tested this with a 5th wheel at MIRA

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hgv speed limiters still have to be set at 56 or lower on trucks first reg after I think March 1987.
And some fleet operators are setting them lower, in the interests of fuel conservation. Great when on a four lane stretch of Motorway like the A1M or M25 (in places), but not great when on a two lane stretch like the M11 or M50. :(

Cheers,

Jock.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
One thing I've noticed, is that some slower drivers driving economically do not like to be overtaken by an MH. They re-overtake and sharply pull in front. I just overtake them again if they slow down again (which they often do) and leave them to it.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
One thing I've noticed, is that some slower drivers driving economically do not like to be overtaken by an MH. They re-overtake and sharply pull in front. I just overtake them again if they slow down again (which they often do) and leave them to it.

I was very aware of this when I was a caravanner - not with trucks but with cars vans etc. and dare I say it some motorhomes. I had a very powerful, stable outfit so driving at or about 60 on dual carriageways or motorways was simple

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Hopefully around the 55 - 60 mark, overtaking excluded. Thinking mpg, especially if we have the bikes onboard, which are quite heavy (the Volvos of the cycle world)!

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
http://www.rac.co.uk/advice/fuel-prices-explained/fuel-saving-tips
The faster you drive, the greater your fuel consumption. Department for Transport figures state that you will use up to 9% more fuel driving at 70mph than you would at 60mph, and up to 15% more fuel than driving at 50mph. Travelling at 80mph can use up to 25% more fuel than at 70mph.

Generally speaking, the optimum driving speed for fuel economy is 55/56mph, which is what car manufacturers typically use to quote fuel consumption figures. However, fuel economy is dependent on a number of different factors such as tyre pressure, excess weight in the boot, presence of roof racks, driving style, etc.

While reducing speed is an effective way of reducing motoring costs, motorists are advised to slow down only when it’s practical to do so, taking into consideration the type of road, the speed limit and the current driving conditions.

The RAC has come up with the following tips to help motorists improve their fuel efficiency and save money: --- read at the link

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I stick to 80kph( 50mph) as that's noisy enough,:) Don't like to abuse the engine ,(y) It will do around 100kph + but I rarely bother.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I realised the difference cruising speed makes to consumption a long time ago and now tend to sit around 50 - 55. However, we are just back from a short trip and got the following results on the trip computer, distance 156 miles there and the same back, same roads, journey time 3:54 both ways, consumption there 33.6 mpg, back 27.9 mpg. The difference was a head wind all the way back yesterday, caused a huge difference in fuel consumption.

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
What is cruise control? is it a house brick you rest on the throttle pedal,
Used to do this in a Commer van whilst rallying with Roots in France many many years ago

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last trip , to Thetford, down to Kent then back to Suffolk, 360 miles, there were no holds ups or slow traffic.. and according to sat nav, average speed was 45 mph ..

max was 70.. that must have been when I overtook a tugger on the M25 :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back