Average speed cams do they really work?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by buttons, Jan 24, 2010.

1. buttons

buttons Funster

I would be interested to know if anyone on here has ever had an “Average Speed Camera” fine. I was travailing under the Hatfield tunnel today through the 40mph restriction. A car came past me as if I was standing still and continued over the arisen.
    [FONT=&quot]I have never heard of anyone being clocked by ASCs, have you?[/FONT]

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

never had a ticket from one and cant give a definative answer as to if they work but as nearly everyone else is doing the posted speed whats the point in trying to get to the front of the line.
    you may pass a few cars but you will get to a line of complying cars anyway with no way to pass.

there will always be someone who ignores it.

i was in a contraflow on the southbound M1.....left lane for south, center lane as divider and right lane for northbound.
    posted 50mph and a rolls royce doing about 80mph in the center divider going south.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

If you join in one lane and leave by another they apparently can't clock you.But I wouldn't try it!

4. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Considering the cost......never fancied finding out!

Being caught out by a normal 'mobile' cam is bad enough.....£60 plus three penalty points. Having those points on your licence for three years I think is a tad excessive given far more serious offences being committed. That said, most insurance companies don't penalise for SP30's.

5. wasp

wasp Funster

I tend to do the limit plus a bit especially if they are long roadworks, but there is always somebody faster I have heard that if you change lanes it cannot detect you but like another poster I would not push my luck.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:I use the 10% margin

6. pappajohn

there a lot on the web about this and evidently its a myth but i wont be trying it to find out...:Rofl1:

7. pappajohn

you could always exit the restriction sandwiched between two HGVs...if the camera cant see the van it cant read the plate...:thumb:

8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Read an article somewhere and quite a number have been clocked and fined!

Peter

9. joggerman

joggerman Read Only Funster

I'm not sure about changing lanes, as there are normally two cameras, one covering each lane !

10. pappajohn

definative answer......yes they do work...

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/SPECS.htm

Quote from the manufactures of SPECS system. "The SPECS system is so efficient and user friendly that Manchester CTO processed 2,500 offences in 6 man-hours".

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  11. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I know some who got caught at night by them on the M25.

Yes they do work.

12. dpick

dpick Read Only Funster

Hi if HGV drivers are watching the speed limit in a limited speed area then there are working cameras.

dpick

13. wasp

wasp Funster

By my working out if they all got tickets thats £150000 not a bad days work. Where does all the money go? :Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

14. wasp

wasp Funster

That`s £25000 an hour, not bad, anybody here on that sort of wage?:Laughing::Laughing:

15. pappajohn

i earn that in me sleep :thumb:......then i wake up :cry:

16. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Well they don't appear to be using it to repair the potholes in the roads :Eeek: :Angry:

17. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

I went through some the other day on the M1 when it was quiet and I was at least a couple of miles in and wasnt really concentrating when I realised I was doing 70+. I reduced speed and remembered to exit on a different lane. Will see what happens? Probably nothing I imagine.

18. buttons

buttons Funster

So the technology works but how do you set up and commission temporary road works cams. Do you set them up electronically or measure the varying distances between each camera. This measurement would have to be pretty accurate if you are measuring a couple of mph. Some cameras are miles apart and some only a few hundred yards.
    The potential variables must be a bit of a challenge to the commissioning eng. How do you measure a vehicle that keeps changing lanes? It will be interesting to fine any first had involvement on here or is it a bit like reports of gassing.
    The M25 variable speed section is different as the cameras are permanently fixed on gantries. :driving2:

19. Lincolnshire Rover

Lincolnshire Rover Read Only Funster

The speedo on a tacograph is calibrated too the exact mph so when I am in an asc control zone I just set the cruise control at -1mhp below the restricted speed but soon run up to motorists going slower because light vehicle speedo's re not as accurate as taco's useually 3mph slower there has been some debate as to whether the mph shown on a satnav is correct I can say that my TomTom is spot on with my taco but fast in my car and motorhome by about 3mph.

20. SpongeBobsDad

SpongeBobsDad Read Only Funster

Do you really care when your driving your motorhome there's no need to speed. Live life in the slow lane it`s less stressful :Cool: