Auxillary water tank DIY

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Ridgeway, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

The fresh water tank on our Laika is small for the number of people that use the van. We travel with 2 adults, 4 children and 2.5 dogs so we do need a reasonable capacity and we only have a 2/3 day autonomy range based on the vans standard 80ltr tank which we would like to extend. There was a factory option for this and the aux tank does come up on the display. I was thinking of a complete DIY rather than going down the expensive manufacturers parts, cant imagine how much theyd be, but just very expensive.

So I can source a suitable tank, Ive worked out how to secure into the space alloted for this extra tank but whats the usual method of filling an aux tank and do you normally feed the main from the aux

2. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

and before anyone mentions payload, i accept that I would be 100kgs more than I am today

3. Speve

Speve Funster

I would think you could link the two together so that the same pump serves both and the fill point would fill both.

4. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

so basically gravity fed, need to check if theres enough height for that, suspect not.

5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

If the base of each tank is at the same level a pipe linking the bottom of one tank to the other is all you need - no pump or fill connection to tank 2. If the tops of the tanks aren't at the same level the breather from the lower tank must rise as high as the top of the highest tank.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

that sounds simple enough to achieve, may have to jack up the aux tank and play about with the heights a bit but this solution should do it, thanks

7. Bart

Bart Funster

Currently thinking on doing the same in our bessacarr over the winter as 90ltrs goes wayyy to fast. That fast I near swear it's leaking ... But the only time I ever see water below it is when refilling the tank.

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Sorry but Incorrect.....
    The water entering the second tank needs to displace the air already in the second tank so a link both top and bottom required.
    Bottom to allow water in, top to allow air out....and visa versa when emptying

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Yep - I said that.:p