Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi There all you good people.
I've just bought a Autotrail Cheyenne 840D, I'm trying to learn what all the various pieces of equiptment does. Now the control panel over the door can display various things which most are self explanatory. But the one that is slightly concerning me is the battery when I think everything is turned off and believe me I've searched high and low for swithces etc. it shows -3.7Amps, I thought that the drainage from the battery should be minimal and not -3.7Amps, is that OK or do I need to do some more searching to find the culprit? and any advice as to what I might be missing would be more than helpfull.
Many Thanks Tony

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No help finding the the solution but - 3.7A is a lot. It is possible the meter is wrong of course. You could try disconnecting a lead from the leisure batteries and see what it says.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I'd suggest putting a multimeter across the leisure battery terminals & see if it's reading correlates with the onboard meter reading

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I'd suggest putting a multimeter across the leisure battery terminals & see if it's reading correlates with the onboard meter reading
Hi Mark or is it Sharon who answered or perhaps Aurora, stranger things have happened, anyway good one yes that's what I'll do not sure where I go from there if it's the same though, but one step at a time.
Thank You. Tony

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You won't measure current putting a meter across the terminals, you need to disconnect a lead then check the current flowing between the terminal and the lead you disconnected. Ensure everything is well vented as there will be a spark if the current drain figure is correct. :)

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
try pulling fuses one at a time till drain stops this will point you to the relevant circuit

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My Autotrail tracker used to pull just below 0.5 amps when at rest.

The alarm and I understand something to do with the Autotrail entertainment system accounted for this.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Hi Mark or is it Sharon who answered or perhaps Aurora, stranger things have happened, anyway good one yes that's what I'll do not sure where I go from there if it's the same though, but one step at a time.
Thank You. Tony

Using a secondary & probably more accurate multimeter will confirm, or not, your onboard meters accuracy & may be a good start

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
You won't measure current putting a meter across the terminals
Yes wish I had one of those which you clip round the cable, i did have one but don't know what happend to it.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
My Autotrail tracker used to pull just below 0.5 amps when at rest.
Hi Mike If your's used to pull .5 Amps then if mine was like that I would not be worried. That does tell me there is someone stealing my electric, I must find the perps, as the Americans say.
Thanks Tony

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Agreed, & is why I suggested it in post # 3

Yes I should have added to your quote that I agreed with you, I didn't intend to step on your toes mate.

I was daft enough to work for Powrtouch caravan movers when I retired from ambulance work & one of the biggest problems was that customers believed their on board gauges & when you showed them the reading on a multimeter they're shock was visible. I have no reason to believe that motorhome gauges are any more accurate.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
On my Autosleeper I had a similar issue but it was the Sargent control panel which needed resetting. Don't know if your van has a Sargent unit but it might be worth a look

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
had a similar issue but it was the Sargent control panel which needed resetting. Don't know if your van has a Sargent unit but it might be worth a look
Hi David Thanks for that, yes I think I have that type of system, but I will check.
Is it complicated to reset it or just a pin in a hole somewhere?
Thanks Tony

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Brakers Unless they have been changed for LED's the bulbs that come on when you have the electric locker and wardrobe door open are quite high wattage. Check the reading when they are off. I had a very similar vehicle and a similar problem. Once you have done the check feel free to PM me and I will walk you through other possibilities. David is also correct it may mean the control unit needs to be reset which is relatively easy.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi David Thanks for that, yes I think I have that type of system, but I will check.
Is it complicated to reset it or just a pin in a hole somewhere?
Thanks Tony
As far as I recall, it is a bit of a "ctrl/alt/del" sort of exercise.....

Recalibrating - resetting involves disconnections I think. Suggest to google it - the Sargent website has useful information

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Unless they have been changed for LED's the bulbs that come on when you have the electric locker and wardrobe door open are quite high wattage
Hi Dorset Driver All the 12v lights are LED's and the reading is when all light are off and as far as i can tell no light on and still reading -3.7Amps drain.
Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Do you know if you have a battery to battery (B2B) charger?
Short answer No. Brief explanation what's a battery to battery charger is please. Is it the vehicle battery charging the leisure battery?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All Iv'e found a leaflet that says my electricity services is EC200 if that means anything to anyone!
Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All just to let you know I'm shutting down now as I'm getting a migrane. So if you leave any more messages I'll answer them tomorrow.
Thanks Tony

Nov 2, 2012
southampton
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since2005
Hi Tony,
If you had a real 3.7 amp discharge your battery would be dead in about 24 hours. I think you would be able to watch the battery voltage dropping.
regards Phil

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I had the exact same thing with my Mohawk, DuxDeluxe is spot on you need to reset the panel.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Also
Link Removed

The usual think is to remove trim from around control panel, unscrew, remove the jumper cable from the back and leave out for a short while before re-connecting.. That used to cure most issues and re-set the unit..

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
There is a set way to recalibrate . I'm sure there's an old thread on about it somewhere it's a bit more involved than just unpluging repluging, if I can find in my notes tonight I will post it. But it might be worth looking on the Sargent web site or phoning them.

when I had the problem it was caused by one of the two leisure battery's going down and blowing its fuse, this in turn cased someimballace to the display, once new batterys had been installed and the fuse replaced I just had to recallabrate the system and all was well

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back