Autotrail Winterisation (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Being hardy ex-caravanners we not used to this 'end of season' talk and intend to continue to use our new Tracker FB regularly through the Winter months and are used to draining everything down when we put the MH into storage.
Have any of you experienced funsters got any tips please to share on what can be done to protect against the possibility of pipes and/or tanks freezing up whilst the MH is in use?
I'm not too sure on how much the waste/fresh water tanks and pipework are protected against the elements on the MH so would really appreciate any hints and tips you can pass on.:Confused:
Thanks, Dave

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would be very surprised if there is significant insulation of the tanks and pipes on a British van - an unfortunate fact that they don't seem to address. If you search for a relevant post by 'Haganap' (Paul) he carried out a major winterisation programme on a Bessacar so that it is suitable for skiing. There will be loads of good advice there which I would have thought was transferable to an Auto-Trial.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If you leave your waste tank open and keep a fullish fresh tank you're ok,in my experience,to about -2 overnight without modifications.Your pipes are lagged and a large volume of water needs prolonged low temp to freeze.
If we use in very cold snaps we drain down and carry water on board for toilet flushing washing etc.When the heating is on you'd never know its cold outside!
As said look at Haganap's blog on winterisation if your going sub zero!

Vlad

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Not familur with your van but I use my van most weekends over the winter but I do drain down the system during the week
Internal fresh water tank so keep heating on 27/7 on low and let waste water drain into a bucket, put fridge vent covers on and that's about it

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Both tanks on Autotrails are underslung and not classed as winterised..
The only time I run with fresh water in the tank at winter is when on route to warmer climate. If we rally in Uk and it down to freezing I run empty and carry water in containers..

Be aware that tank heaters do take a large current, can be 5amps !! so watch batteries...

If you can have a lie down and look under the van, you will soon see how exposed they are.. On my 700 the fresh does have some insulation around it and the waste tank is located under it, so it has some protection and some pipes are lagged BUT only needs 1 exposed bit to freeze up and cause problems.

OP
OP
MuddyPuddle
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would be very surprised if there is significant insulation of the tanks and pipes on a British van - an unfortunate fact that they don't seem to address. If you search for a relevant post by 'Haganap' (Paul) he carried out a major winterisation programme on a Bessacar so that it is suitable for skiing. There will be loads of good advice there which I would have thought was transferable to an Auto-Trial.

Have tried to find the post from Haganap referred to but have drawn a blank unless it's the one about his diesel spaceheater?
Haganap (Paul) if you're out there can you signpost me to it please? :Confused:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
simples really search winterising posts by user haganap
Broken Link Removed

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We used our previous AT Tracker all winter in the UK including the severe one of 3 years ago, the FW drain pipe is the weakest link for freezing and if it does tends to "pop out" of the tank coupling. Wrap it well and full length including drain valve with plenty of 22 mm pipe insulation sleeving (B & Q, Homebase etc)

Keep tank level half or more the larger the mass of water the more it takes to freeze. If your not staying weeks on end in sub zero temps in one location then all should be well, once on the road the water movement stops any freezing.

As others have said grey water tank is a pain, leave drain open into a dish, waste hog or whatever.

If you already havent invest in external silver screens they are a must in frosty conditions, providing some insulation in cab area but more importantly killing condensation almost totally. (Also pull blinds closed)

Go for it there are som many benefits in the UK especially, nigh on empty campsites for starters.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We al;so insulated the side windows in our Tracker using camping sleeping mats the ones with silver foil on one side, that really made a difference in keeping van warm and cosy just cut them to suit for all windows, you'll be suprised at how effective it is. (dont forget the large skylight) :thumb:

OP
OP
MuddyPuddle
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We al;so insulated the side windows in our Tracker using camping sleeping mats the ones with silver foil on one side, that really made a difference in keeping van warm and cosy just cut them to suit for all windows, you'll be suprised at how effective it is. (dont forget the large skylight) :thumb:

Thanks We have got the external silver screen covers for windscreen and side windows - do you use these 'mats' in addition to the external cover? :Doh:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks We have got the external silver screen covers for windscreen and side windows - do you use these 'mats' in addition to the external cover? :Doh:

Cut to shape for each window and fitted between interior pleated blind and window. Ours was an EKS so the side bench seats made up the double bed and on colder frosty nights condensation and heat loss was a problem cured by the mats.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
If you're not sure you can achieve a successful drain down you could use this:
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.