Autotrail Windows.

Discussion in 'Auto-Trail' started by StevieBambs, Apr 13, 2013.

1. StevieBambs

StevieBambs Read Only Funster

Hi.

Have just been to where I store my Autotrail & discovered that some little sh*t has splashed what looks like blobs of paint stripper/acid down one side of the van. :cry:
    As well as the paintwork it has also gone on the kitchen & rear lounge windows !

Does anybody know where I can get get the replacement windows from (hasn't touched the frame just large blob in centre of each window).

Just what we needed at the start of the season. :Sad::cry::cry::Sad:

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Try phoning Ian or Glenn on 01-580-881288 during the week, they should know.

Peter

3. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

How deep are the marks on the windows-- some times shallow markings can be sanded down with a graded paper sander,and compounded out with a machine out so that it cannot be seen afterwards.

4. StevieBambs

Flippin Vandals

:helpsos:

I don't suppose anybody knows the paint code for the white paint, for the patches which the paint stripper/acid has bubbled up along one side ?

The van is a 2006 Autotrail Apache 700 SE.

5. Terry

Terry Funster

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ stock most sizes of windows -- Phone and ask because I am certain Mick knows where you can get just the plastic/glass bits
    joner8888 is also right you can get them polished out if you don't fancy around £300 a window :Smile:
    terry

6. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Two words spring to mind....Insurance Claim!
    Its ?hit when things like this happen,however that's what we pay premiums for.
    Let them take the hassle and sort it out!

Vlad

• Like Like x 2
  7. StevieBambs

Thanks for the help

Only problem claiming on insurance, then my premiums jump up (no protected no-claims on motorhome).

Think I'll have a go at sanding/polishing the windows, nothing to loose ?

:Sad: :Sad:

8. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I can tell you what code /mix number you will need to order any paint from a supplier in your area on Monday.
    I can then access my paint scheme mix pc for saved formulations and give you a mix number you need.
    Different paint suppliers in your area use different paint companies/ i have a cross reference list.:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  9. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear about your van. I hope it can be polished out and Joner can fix you up with the right paint..:thumb:

I would seriously think about changing where you store your can though. You could get everything fixed up then the little sh*ts strike again.....

:Smile:

10. Terry

Terry Funster

It may be worth mentioning it to your ins first stateing that you are trying the repair yourself thus not needing to claim but if you cannot fix it you may need to make a claim :Smile:
    terry

11. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Its a shame you are so far from Somerset or you could have let Joner8888 work his magic on your paintwork. He would have done a good job and even given you some funster discount.:thumb:

You could of course work a visit to him into a tour of the west country.

12. f6c

f6c Funster

Joner 8888 has done work on my van several time VERY GOOD JOB & a GOOD PRICE:Wink:

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You could try some toothpaste on the windows, gentle circular action in small circles, with a clean non-abrasive cloth, this is what hubby had done when we've had shallow and deep scratches on windows and roof vents and has always sorted them out, I also believe that Brasso is good for this too. Worth a try.:BigGrin:

14. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Pissed off for you!!!

I am so upset and angry for you, it's a good job I didn't witness it or there'd be hell to play for, it's times like this that you just want to allow public floggings again. Good luck with the repairs too:thumb:

15. StevieBambs

Hi.

Unfortunately it looks like they may have used nitromors gel paint remover? the patches on the windows have set thick & solid as though someone had thrown super glue on them ?

Will get quotes for paintwork, but looks like it's an insurance jobbie.

As soon as work has been done - IT WILL BE GETTING MOVED TO A DIFFERENT SITE.

Thanks for everybodys help.:thumb:

16. StevieBambs

I decided to go through my insurance & took the day off on Thursday to get a couple of quotes.

There is damage to the kitchen window, rear lounge window, window in the entrance door (which according to the two quotes ,it is probably cheaper to fit a new door) & needs a full respray of all the passenger side (which means new decals as well) - it looks like the cost is going to be around the £2k mark.

Just hope that the insurance company doesn't drag their feet, the van is still usable just looks a bit tatty ?

17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

What motivates people to do this sort of thing?

It's bloody sick.:Angry:

18. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Good luck with the repair and hope its sorted ASAP. Did you info plod and were you parked with other motorhomes, just in case the little buggers damaged more peoples pride and joy?:Angry:

19. G4OGE

G4OGE

Next door

Has anyone been working\painting a van\camper next to yours? what sort of site is it farm\yard why would someone have that sort of stuff with them? a bit of Sherlock Holmes needed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. StevieBambs

It is on a farm & nobody has been painting anything. I think the farmer threw somebody off a couple of months before & a month later 6 caravans were broken into (but nothing taken) they have now moved off the site, they didn't break into the motorhome (prob scared of setting alarm off?). After this I will be shortly moving mine, so it will definitely be hitting the farmer's pocket?
    I reported it to the police who said that it was obviously premeditated but there was no evidence to prove who did it?
    It has been parked there 2 years without any problems, you don't expect this sort of thing in the middle of the countryside?