Autotrail water ingress

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by raysalaugh, May 20, 2012.

1. raysalaugh

raysalaugh Funster

:Sad: My 2009 Autotrail Scout has just failed its hab check due to water ingress!,
    the sealant has degenerated down both sides allowing water to enter over the side skirts, gas locker, hookup socket and rear locker door. The estimate for remedial work is approx £700.
    I contacted Autotrails warranty manager on Friday who could not have been less interested, he explained because I had purchased the motorhome
    privately and the 3rd year of warranty is insurance backed there was nothing
    he could do.
    He suggested I should write a letter and send with my paperwork to Autotrail and they might? make a goodwill gesture.
    At no time did he seem surprised by the failure or even discuss it.

My question is has the integrity of the motorhome reached its life expectancy?. furthermore are Autotrail not concerned that there product is failing in less than three years?.

ray

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Damned disgrace. Really bad practice. Sorry I can't be of help. :Sad:

Ivy

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Ray sorry to hear of your plight but it does not surprise me about AT response.It is not the first time I have heard of AT treating customers this way ,neither (I fear) will it be the last.
    Never herd of ingress warranty being covered by insurance so I would challenge that ? Why was this not pointed out when you bought it.Anything in your paperwork ?
    You say the skirts have not been sealed correctly? have you had the floor checked?I remember both Swift and AT back in aprox 2005/6 had problems with the floors rotting out-Swift to there credit promised to fix vans as and when they turned up-but they may have stopped this now.Autotrail put up more of a block on the fix but did fix a few after customers put up a fight :BigGrin:It looks like they have either gone back to the old ways of firstly refusing the fix in the hope you go away.
    I do not know how you are fixed legally being your van is second hand but I would think 3 yrs is not long for them to refuse to fix there product.Then again it is a gamble for you -do you hope you can get the fix done by AT and wait for them to agree to fix it possibly causing more damage or do you bite the bullet and pay for it yourself preventing more damage.
    All-in it can only do damage to Autotrails reputation
    terry

4. Phill D

Phill D

I have had dealings with Autotrail in the past on warrenty issues :Angry: which i why i now own an Adria.:thumb:.
    however, my thinking is this;;; most vans may have a 2 year warrenty by manufacturer and 3rd year under insurance but most in the past 5 years have had water ingres warrenties in excess of that i.e. around 5 - 6 years.:Eeek: provided of course all relevant services were carried out.

it may be worth checking the original warrenty booklet or with a helpfull autotrail dealer what ingress warrenty actually came with your van...

my brother in law has an 06 Autotrail and i am sure his was covered untill recently as he was rushing to get checks done before warrenty expirey..

hope this helps:thumb:

5. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Having had a similar problem recently, albeit with an older van, I can advise one thisng only. If your mtorhome is letting in water, then it is not fit for purpose. Contact whoever you bought it from, let them know the situation, and ask them what they are prepared to do about it.
    A warranty MAY be a way for someone to not have to dip inntheir pocket, but thats not your problem, you have a motorhome that is not fit for use, its the sellers problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

I contacted Autotrails warranty manager on Friday who could not have been less interested, he explained because I had purchased the motorhome
    privately and the 3rd year of warranty is insurance backed there was nothing

As you bought the van privately you have no comeback against the seller unless you can prove he knew of the leak at the time. Try locating the issuer of the 3rd year insurance based warranty and contact them

I am surprised at the comment made about Autotrails present 'attitude' ont warranty as one of the reasons for appointing us for Kent and Sussex was that they wanted a good service presence in the South East and it is well known fact we don't muck about and expect good products going out the door.

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  7. MikeD

MikeD Funster

autotrail warranty

My 2012 warranty booklet states "that it has a two year manufacturers warranty supplemented by a one year insurance backed warranty to provide a three year habitation warranty for total peace of mind".

But it also states:
    "The exterior of your motorhome is offered with a ten year manufacturers body construction integrity warranty" (Terms apply).

In 2009 their brochure states "that they have extended the usual manufacturers warranty for major items for an extra period giving you peace of mind for 36 months".

That infers to me that when your motorhome was manufactured it had 36 months of makers warranty and this type of repair must be a "major item".

But it is I think quite usual for manufacturers to have insurance on warranties.

But if yours leaks and causes £700 of damage in three years what is my 10 warranty worth?:cry:

8. robnchris

robnchris Funster

autotrail

Really hope you get this sorted out, Autotrail don`t have the best of reputations, it`s a wonder they sell any motorhomes at all with that attitude.
    We are just amazed why it is so difficult in this day and age with all the tecnology and advanced techniques and materials why a motorhome can`t be built that doesn`t suffer from water ingress.

We had a boat that sat out on a swinging mooring in Holyhead harbour for 12 months of the year and never let any water in at all and that boat was 30 yrs old.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry

Terry Funster

It is simple enough your boat was made from one piece hull IE no joins/joints.in the water bit.
    I had a conversation on line a few months back with Paul (hagnap) about Sikaflex type glues not sticking to plastics very well and letting go leading to leaks,well this is yet another example of just such a thing.I have no idea why some things stay stuck for yrs yet others let go after a short time :BigGrin: All I do know is that it happens and at the time I said I now put a double seal around roof lights etc One being the Sikaflex and the other good old GP mastic which seems to work good.The problem has been around a long time (lots of self builders know of it :Wink:) probably because it happened to them,so as such they get over it as and when it happens.The manufacturers basically buy glues from Bostick etc believing they work as required ie stick plastic to plastic or plastic to ali etc.It is only after a few yrs the problems arise and it turns out the glue was/is not as good as they said.
    Every time I go to a suppliers and ask what glue to stick plastic with they all grit there teeth,suck in air and then say TRY this :BigGrin: see how you get on it has been ok on what we have used it on (if they have is anybody's guess) You can buy glues to stick plastic to plastic (very good stuff) but it takes a lot more messing than simply using a doubles sided tape or silicon type gun.Perhaps that is why they do not use it-time = money,and convenience :BigGrin:Then again you have to be sure the man using the tape/gun has done his job correctly(cleaning joins etc) and not having a bad day.
    terry

10. raysalaugh

raysalaugh Funster

Been to Leyland today to authorise the work necessary to stop the water damaging my motorhome, I was assured by Crossleys that fortunately no
    damage has yet been caused by the sealant failing. Mainly due to early detection .
    Once the new waist seals are fitted and resealing of all the locker frames has been carried out it will be better than new.
    Apparently this type of fault is not uncommon on Autotrail motorhomes and
    I would advise any fellow owners to regularly inspect these areas.
    Because time is of the essence I have agreed to pay the £700 bill to effect the
    work asap.
    Just ashame Autotrail aren't a responsible manufacturer who look after and support their customer base.

ray

• Like Like x 1
  11. robnchris

robnchris Funster

12. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

You have seen the attitude of the makers they take your money and dont care about the product

I have pointed out to them this post and asked for a response

13. Terry

Terry Funster

14. raysalaugh

raysalaugh Funster

I've been talking to Crossleys regarding the problems with the water ingress and they informed me that the top seals on the Scout will need replacing in the very near future, so another large chunk of cash to pay out to subsidise Autotrails poor build quality.
    Hopefully once this work has been carried out it may restore some of my confidence in the motorhome.
    Difficult to believe its only 3 years old.

Ray

15. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

This sort of thing is reported far to often NO excuse for it no wonder the whole industry is in such a mess when they cant make something that does not leak

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Ray glad you are getting it sorted :thumb: Have you tried writing/emailing A/T throwing yourself at there better nature (if they have one) try sending the link from here :thumb:Let them see how bad it looks for there product.There is a post on here yesterday and today on about autotrail expected MPG perhaps if the OP picks up on this they may consider buying a different make :BigGrin: you never know,bad press travels a lot faster than good :Eeek:
    terry

17. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear of your problem but not surprised, we bought 09 mohican had it a month and found damp in the floor. Lucky for us we bought from a dealer who made an insurance claim and had to replace 8x4 section of floor, floor moved after poor repair job.Sold a few months later took a big hit on price.I wouldent buy another English built van. :Angry:

18. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Hi guys i recently bought an Autotrail cheyanne 2004 my first MH, ive had no trouble with it but all the talk ive seen lately has me worried if anything is or may soon be wrong with it as all the heavy rain weve had has had me checking it for leaks every other day !
    I hope someone with a bit of clout from Autotrail hears the bad rep its getting on the forums and gets to look in here at the bad reports. Thier reputation is taking a beating and word is spreading if they ignore it to long they will end up with some major damage limitation on thier hands !!

19. Terry

Terry Funster

NO they won't they are not even honouring warranty on 3 yr old vans -just a case of sell and forget them :Doh::Wink:
    terry