Autotrail Tracker Towbar

Discussion in 'Auto-Trail' started by MikeD, Jan 30, 2013.

1. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I have a 2012 Autotrail Tracker FB and wanted to tow a motor scooter using an Easy trail “hydra trail” trailer.

This requires a flat “drop” plate fitting on the tow bar.

I spoke with the tow bar people who advise that Autotrail do not have a type approved towbar/mounting for the Tracker FB with a Drop plate.

The rules have recently changed?

I am confused – can someone advise me :Confused::Confused:

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

you may still have to wait for the manufacturers to play catch up. the new rules say the bar must be type approved for each vehicle if built from 2012 on. before this even a local fabricator could weld up and fit a bar to a motorhome

if there is a swan neck type bar already available for yours though, it may mean that manufacturers wont rush to design a plate and ball type.

ultimately I can see an enterprising towbar manufacturer design and sell a standard chassis extension that will fit all fiats etc that is predrilled to accept their bar. currently most manufacturers each do the extending slightly differently using various shapes and lengths, so its not ideal

4. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Towbar - good news

Good news :thumb::thumb:

I have been advised that the relevant data has been released to allow an Autotrail fitting tow bar to be type approved within the next few weeks or so.

But a tow bar for a motorhome, especially a motorhome over 3500kg now appears to be a can of worms. :Sad::Sad:

5. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

There is a type approved towbar on the market. It is made in Holland but can be bought from www.watling-towbars.co.uk and www.armitagetrailers.com

The towbar is made by a company called Memo. Website www.autoproducten.com

My nephew works for PCT (towbar manufacturers) in Sheffield and he went through the process of type approval for me. It is not cost effective to make a type approved towbar for every make of motorhome on the market. This towbar is a "fits-all" and has been designed so that at the extremes of it's range it is safe to fit virtually everything, so receives type approval. It's more complicated than my abridged version of events, but it would take a long time to explain it in full, even if I got it right.
    I have one myself, but it is still sat in the garage waiting for the weather to improve before I climb underneath the MH.
    We have an Auto-Trail with an Alco chassis and it requires drop plates.
    My brother-in-law will be doing the bulk of the work and the electrics. He has his own towbar fitting business. :thumb:

Hope that is helpful.