Autotrail Toilet fan (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
How does the fan extract the smells away, there is a filter that makes it smell better, but then does get blown outside? As I cannot see a hole from the filter to the outside. It's a 2013 700 apache.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I hate to say this but I think it vents under the bathroom floor - it does in our Apache 634. I suspect we'll know when its time to change the filter ;-)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
On my 2012 tracker the filter is on the underside where the cassette sits. I have always assumes it exhaust to the underside of the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It " filters" but only to the outside of the van so I can see little point in it myself. The handbook says something like change every 90 days and they are not cheap. !! Mine's almost 4 years old now. No one has complained about the smell yet.. Lol. :)

Nov 23, 2015
cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
IH630RL
Exp
10 years
took my comanche to autotrail in grimsby for its annual habitation , 2012 plate sowent away in it the following weekend and found that the fan wasn't working . After emptying the cassette i found that someone had taken the filter out and disconnected the wires to the little fan.wasnt very happy with what i found.i only live down the road at cleethorpes so paid them a visit on the monday, got a crap explanation from them saying it was took out because the smells don't go anywhere . my toilet system sits on top of the wheelarch,there is no vent pipe coming out from the fiter housing, it would need a vent pipe fitting simular to a sog unit for it to work properly. i didnt say to much about the build quality as the vehicle had to go back for damp issues .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
took my comanche to autotrail in grimsby for its annual habitation , 2012 plate sowent away in it the following weekend and found that the fan wasn't working . After emptying the cassette i found that someone had taken the filter out and disconnected the wires to the little fan.wasnt very happy with what i found.i only live down the road at cleethorpes so paid them a visit on the monday, got a crap explanation from them saying it was took out because the smells don't go anywhere . my toilet system sits on top of the wheelarch,there is no vent pipe coming out from the fiter housing, it would need a vent pipe fitting simular to a sog unit for it to work properly. i didnt say to much about the build quality as the vehicle had to go back for damp issues .
Regardless of how/if it worked I would insist it was reinstated at their cost......it wasnt up to them to remove/disconnect it without your consent.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My fan failed at about 13 months old.
It was already booked into Autotrail to fix the damp issues so i left it until I went back to the factory.
When I collected it they had fitted a brand new toilet !!!!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Or Adria has the Thetford with extractor fan. When we got it the fan didn't work so the dealer replaced it.
Trouble was they put the fan in upside down so it blew fresh air into the toilet forcing the smell out into the van.
Bloody Muppets.
Ours vents underneath too but I have seen them with a pipe venting through the roof.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Is there not some models that vent through the roof ?
Or was that merely an option doe those fitting a SOG ?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@laurieash We had a 2013 Tracker and the vent looks like t goes through the floor but it does not vent anywhere I took mine apart as it was noisy only to find the fan just blows straight onto the floor of the cassette compartment.I decided to fit a SOG as it only entailed drilling the door to the cassette compartment it worked a treat you just need to disconnect the fan at the back of the toilet flush switch.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
S
@laurieash We had a 2013 Tracker and the vent looks like t goes through the floor but it does not vent anywhere I took mine apart as it was noisy only to find the fan just blows straight onto the floor of the cassette compartment.I decided to fit a SOG as it only entailed drilling the door to the cassette compartment it worked a treat you just need to disconnect the fan at the back of the toilet flush switch.
So do Sogs blow it to the outside of the van.
If so ideal if the frogs park to close.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The extract fan is a Thetford add-on to their toilets. Had one on my previous van and have another one on my new van. Both do as they should - they vent through a pipe in the floor to the outside.

They appear to do exactly the same as a SOG unit. And they are easier to use than a SOG, which requires you to take off the vent pipe every time you empty the cassette and put it back on again. The Thetford version is easier with the vent opening automatically when you slide the cassette in and closing as you slide the cassette out.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Only entered this thread as I was interested to see who was a fan of Autotrail toilets?

Needless to say it's about an AT fault on a fan that I never knew existed!

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Never heard of a Thetford Toilet Fan and please tell what is a SOG
This link shows how the Thetford ventilator works and how it is fitted. A SOG is similar AFAIK but needs more installing. Both provide ventilation to the cassette. Keeps smells out or motorhome while you have the flap open and, if you switch on before you open the flap, prevents the dreaded blow back on opening. It is also said to allow better breakdown of black waste by allowing oxygen in. Not sure about that latter bit given the short period they run.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
So I should have a hole under the fan and filter so it can blow it out side.
If so I have no hole.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If so I have no hole.
No nor did we so it just rattles on the floor and wafts it around under the cassette that's why I did the SOG easier to drill door than floor and risk damp problems.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If so I have no hole.
If so it is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
No nor did we so it just rattles on the floor and wafts it around under the cassette that's why I did the SOG easier to drill door than floor and risk damp problems.
Can't see any damp problems occurring. Certainly no problems in either of my vans. Both had a sealed tube running through, in the case of the new one it runs through the double floor.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If so it is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Can't see any damp problems occurring. Certainly no problems in either of my vans. Both had a sealed tube running through, in the case of the new one it runs through the double floor.
That's just it we had a brand new Tracker 2013 no hole in floor so drilled door just a personal choice and I think SOG are a better unit than the poorly fitted unit and I forgot to mention when asking Auto trail they told me it didn't have to vent(what a load of twaddle) as the charcoal filter took out any smell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back