Autotrail Startraveller Advice please. (1 Viewer)

grin factor

Free Member
Jul 4, 2013
sunderland
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
i'm a newbiw
Had a look at an 05 plate startraveller today priced at £23. Looks nice & clean, but noticed speedo in kph. Dealer could give no explanation for this. I had a test drive abd for a 2.8 it felt a tad underpowered. The dealer took it out with me, and revved it quite hard to get the speed up. Maybe its me but I thought a 2.8 TD would not need to be revved so hard? I've driven many diesel cars and the torque is normally low down.
So, 2 things I would like help on, the speedo & engine please.
Oh, is this a reasonable price? had 30k kilometers on.
Thanks

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Have you seen the V5 (log book) yet as it may give more clues to the history.

The 2.8 TD normally has a fair bit of grunt, and hard revving sounds a bit overkill. Are any of the brakes stuck for example, which may account for the slugishness.

Are you sure it is an Autotrail, as I do not recall that model in the range.

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
As for Kph, just add the little stickers for mph as a heap solution.

Normally the 2.8 is a decent motor, though the non turbo ones may feel a bit sluggish, but they will just keep pulling if serviced ok..

Post a link to the van if you have one, you will get lot's of opinions then.....:roflmto:

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

grin factor

Free Member
Jul 4, 2013
sunderland
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
i'm a newbiw
Have you seen the V5 (log book) yet as it may give more clues to the history.

The 2.8 TD normally has a fair bit of grunt, and hard revving sounds a bit overkill. Are any of the brakes stuck for example, which may account for the slugishness.

Are you sure it is an Autotrail, as I do not recall that model in the range.

Sorry, just checked the photo on phone, it is an autocruise.:Blush:
I'm inclined to walk away from this van, it looks nice, size is perfect, but salesman couldn't explain why speedo in kph either/
Thank you.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
it would be unusual to have a KPH speedo on an autocruise as this is a UK van. I wouldn't give up on it though, just try and have a look at it's history and find out why its in KPH.

You need to find out if it was Exported and then re-imported
Speedo changed? if so why?

As for the power, I had a 4.5t van on the 2.8, at 2005 it should be the JTD and that is a stonking engine and pulls all day like a train.

I had mine re-mapped as it was used to tow sometimes after the remap it was awesome, so much so in fact that Jerry Clarkeson himself would of commissioned it for some top gear racing. :winky:

However, if you have never driven a Motor Home before, it could be just that your expectations are too high? It won't perform like a car, the journeys are long enjoyable and fruitful in a MH but most of all they are part of the "getting away" experience. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back