autotrail rear light cluster gromets (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
on 06 backwards autotrail ( and possibly the new shape ) the rear light clusters are help on by four long screws into gromets, which seem to be rubbish, anybody found a better way of securing this?

Also at the bottom of the reccess where the light cluster fits (on the rear body pannel) theres a 1 inch hole just above the floor overhang inside the back wall. Im not sure why this is thewre? Should this hole have gromet or bung in it? it seems water could get behind the light cluster on go through the hole onto floor overhang which cant be good long term?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
please don't laugh and I know Techno will be along with his photos of the professional way but. I had to take mine off and the grommets are a waste of space.

Velcro is the way forward, And yes im serious ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
please don't laugh and I know Techno will be along with his photos of the professional way but. I had to take mine off and the grommets are a waste of space.

Velcro is the way forward, And yes im serious ::bigsmile:

Ive sppken to autotrail "after care" the sending me some so thats sorted, I asked them about the hole near the bottom and after telling me " the vans 7 years old were not sure" I pressed them for an answer and its a drain hole.

I might used some of that van selant on a roll to bed the clusters in to stop water getting in and causing more problems, seems a better idea than having a drian hole directly over the floor overhang

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Ive had problems with rain getting in behind lenses filling the cluster with water before. Wasnt keen on sealing them in with silicon or mastic, so instead drilled 2 3mm holes on the bottom edge for draining to outside. Never a problem again and solved the issue of verdegris build up in the lense at the same timeAny hole behind the light in the panel that could allow water into the van should be sealed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back