Autotrail premium prices for accessories

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brightspark, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

Well we have lived in the Comanche now for 8 weeks & have settled in nicely but thought we could do with some more shelves in the kitchen & lounge lockers. So I enquired to Autotrail via email about some shelf edging as I would make the shelves myself out of some 9mm ply & thought that they would look finished off with the correct edging. They duly offered that the correct edging was available at a price of £4.50 + vat + carriage for a 2.44mtr length which I thought was quite reasonable but then they offered to make the shelves. So I gave the measurements of 1@ 766mm x 275 + 2@ 400mm x 275. They replied that the veneered shelves with edging including VAT would be £108!!!!!!!!:Laughing::Laughing:
    So as I would only need approximately 1600mm of edging, say £3 worth, the shelves were going to be over £100. I purchased a sheet of 3 ply and a tin of stain/satin varnish @ £20 for both and I must say they look pretty good!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Always cheaper to DIY !

Peter

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

really makes you wonder where they get the prices from. :Eeek:

another member was asking about Bullfinch gas outlets and autotrail wanted £17 for the same item sold by Peter (johns cross) and on eBay for less than £8

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Not defending them in any way but....................DIY =

No Health and Safety, No risk assessment, no plans, no workshop, no 4 weeks holiday with pay, no sick pay, no insurance, no rent, no rates, no upper management, no despatch warehouse staff and theres plenty more if your running a business that has to be paid for.

Peter

• Like Like x 6
  5. pappajohn

BUT...they are doing exactly the same as you Peter....reselling a 'bought in' product for DIY use, not making or fitting it in this case.
    if your point was valid you must be running at a massive loss and awaiting the auditors and bankruptcy administrators

6. pappajohn

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Also because of most of "The Country gone crazy "things you have listed is the reason most need to "DIY" because everything is to bloody expensive by the time its come down the chain and everyone has had a cut. Not defending DIY ers in any way though.:Smile:

8. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I've just bought one from Teesside Caravans for less than 8 quid as well :thumb:

9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

As I mentioned on the earlier Bullfinch gas point post, the Autotrail prices seem expensive, but in this case, bear in mind that they would probably have made the shelves from Vohringer light-weight ply. This is used by many motorhome manufacturers as it is both light and strong and helps maximise the final payload. Unfortunately Vohringer ply is very expensive - £129 per sheet was the only price I could find in the UK.

10. Daveo2006

There wouldn't actually be alot of difference in weight in one sheet Vohringer Laminate as opposed to 1 sheet of marine, maybe just over a kilo?Not certain but i do remember a friend of mine arguing the toss on a project he took on.I think its more the lamination process your paying for.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  11. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

The thing that gets me is that all the overheads of running a business have already been taken into account & is built into the retail price of a new van. Items like the 'bullfinch gas & water fittings, shelves & other items associated to an autotrail should be offered at a reasonable price not an obscene price. A sheet of veneered 3 ply does not cost a fortune, & the employee who cuts it is already being employed to cut shelves of different sizes. So to cut 3 shelves is not going to take more than say 10 mins? & I forgot to mention in my initial post that they said it was a special order & to allow 3 weeks before delivery. I would of thought in these tough times companies would be stretching their arms out to offer a decent customer service especially to owners of their own motorhomes!

12. Daveo2006

Since i bought our motorhome in September i have uncovered alot of unsavoury things in the motorhoming world not to mention bad quality on builds and yes your right they should maybe have put themselves out to sort your shelves out at a reasonable cost.After all you spent a hell of alot of money on THEIR product.I actually admire the self builders and wish i had the time to build my own van.Damn site cheaper and no doubt better quality of work.Lets face it ,all the items fitted in to these coach built vehicles are already assembled and i would have thought a few shelves were a stock item.