Autotrail on a Mercedes chassis-what do you think? (1 Viewer)

life in the slow lane

Free Member
Feb 8, 2017
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am seriously thinking of buying an autotrail motorhome based on a mercedes with the 2.7 cdi engine. Any comments for or against before I take the plunge?

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
we looked at a second hand one a couple of years ago, cant remember the engine size but we researched the payload and found it was no where high enough so ended up with an Autotrail on a ducato maxi chassis

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Have had 2 A/Ts on M ercs, brill, no cambelts to renew/break, Rear wheel drive, so you can drive over wet grass, also no electric gremlins in the dash etc., to me it's a no-brainer.....
Cheers, Dave(y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
friends of ours bought a brand new AT in 2001, I am sure they paid nearly £5K extra for the Mercedes bit, but with auto as well

we love our Mercedes, but they do still have their gremlins, but maybe less than others, or are there just less Mercedes around (y)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Mercedes is better than Fiat but having had an Autotrail for three years I would not go near another one.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One of the big entertainments we had this winter in Benidorm was an Autotrail on a Merc chassis

No names no pack drill and all that.. but........................

After a few weeks of issues and chatting about the problems the poor sod was suffering from, I do feel I can offer at least a little valid advice

1) Never EVER leave it standing for a couple of months. Twice the van was left and twice it caused problems ( big enough to have to get a breakdown truck involved )
2) Never use anything bar a pucka genuine Merc diesel filter
3) If you DO have to stand it up, get your self a kit of o rings and a new one way valve for the diesel line !!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I personally used one of these Sprinters with the 2.7cc engine for frontline ambulance use, I used it for 24hrs a day (yes really) doing on-call work as well as a normal day shift. 400k on the clock when it left to be area spare vehicle, these wagons were driven by all sorts & its hard to imagine a vehicle getting more abuse. It never missed a beat when I had it, apart from a new dual mass flywheel at 230k. I drove it a year after I'd got a new VW, it still drove better, faster, better fuel economy smoother & just a bloody good drive.The service then went onto 3litre Peugeots which couldn't take the strain & are now back with Sprinters, 3.0 V6 ones (makes me wish I wasn't retired) now.
I also had a C Class Mercedes with this engine & it never missed a beat in many years of use.
These vehicles impressed me so much that I now have another Mercedes car, an R Class R350 with 265bhp with the 3litre engine.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I personally used one of these Sprinters with the 2.7cc engine for frontline ambulance use, I used it for 24hrs a day (yes really) doing on-call work as well as a normal day shift. 400k on the clock when it left to be area spare vehicle, these wagons were driven by all sorts & its hard to imagine a vehicle getting more abuse.
Yup.. driven and used as it was designed to be.. And never stood up for a couple of months.. Which an awful lot of Motorhomers do..

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Yup.. driven and used as it was designed to be.. And never stood up for a couple of months.. Which an awful lot of Motorhomers do..

Yes thats very fair comment, all I could say was what my experience is, I know nothing of the kind of usage motorhomes might try nor the available payload.

I still hope the OP finds the help received on here helpful.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Love our 316 Mohican it pulls our large trailer fine, our 2.8 fiat felt over gear'd until we had it remapped, the sprinter doesn't seem to need a remap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back