Autotrail half dinette

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GRC, Jul 22, 2015.

1. GRC

GRC Funster

has anybody else got this option & think it's crap ?

Just started the long winding road of registering a complaint with Autotrail,
    We have 3 main issues with it
    The single seat latts collapse when sat on
    Table is 6" short when used as bed base
    Table is unusable as your trapped in seat, when set up

I only went for this option due to salesman convincing me, future sale would be better with rear seatbelts & the half dinette allows belts,

Are Autotrail reasonable, or do you have to kick up ??
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Any advice would be appreciated.

Buy a Dethleffs

• Like Like x 3
  3. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

As with most things in life these days I find you need to kick up a fuss to get things done, new or pre-owned (n)

4. SteveB123

SteveB123 Funster

They will probably refer you to the dealer for any repairs

5. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I think he may have a point here, certainly lack of rear seat belts Would NOT help resale. I would have tried sitting at the table did you Not?

6. rosalan

rosalan Funster

What I did not understand... Is it a new van? Did you try it out before buying and accepting it? The table will not have changed since buying it (there is an article in MMM this month on how to enlarge your table).
    We once owned a dinette layout and hated it but must accept that it suits some peoples needs. It is not ideal for entertaining visitors but fine if that is how you like to eat.
    A warning to all first time buyers, always research the layout that most suits you, not what suits the dealer who wants a sale.
    I am sorry that you do not like the van and I do not see why Autotrail are responsible for what you chose to buy. They may however offer ideas as to how to overcome your problems.
    Alan

7. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Mmmmh. You must have a different half dinette set-up than in our Savannah.
    What model do you have?
    Our table is exactly the same length as the forward facing seatbelted bench.
    Table - Bed.jpg
    Once the slatted seat base is put back in place and the extendible slatted base from the side bench is pulled out it makes up a full flat area.
    What single seat are your talking about?
    Once the table is set up it is a tightish squeeze around the end from the cab seats but we're not stuck.

8. GRC

GRC Funster

Where have i said. I dont like the van ?, love the van, hate the Dinette, we were set on standard layout, as like to eat at table with friends etc, it was after deal was agreed, salesman convinced me after sale price would be better with this £800.00 option.

My gripe is Autotrail/Salesman do not explain the compromises/faults, for taking the Dinette, I drove it to dealer yesterday, as to show these problems & they agreed with me, that more explination should have taken place etc.

We looked long & hard for a year before purchase & not first time buyer, I just let the expert sway me & I get the extra seatbelts for re-sale value, but its not for us.

So are you saying we should accept a four berth van, that four can't sit at table together, 6" gap in middle of bed & a seat that collapses ?

I am fully aware the ownous is on the customer, should you not listen to the expert/sales team, maybe we are just too trusting in experts advive.

Lastly, no stupidly did not sit in the half Dinette van, as they only had standard van on show (which is what we wanted)

Oh well

9. G7UXG

G7UXG Funster

I had a 2013 AutoTrail Mohawk with a half dinette. I had previously owned a 2011 Mohawk without a dinette (a bench on both sides) and bought one with a dinette because I thought it would be more comfortable and useable (I know, I should have sat in one for longer before I ordered it).

My single dinette seat also collapsed when sat on. I had to modify it so that the slatted base didn't move from side to side and slip off its supporting rails. Not much use taking it back to the supplying dealer as they were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

The dinette/lounge area was a real disappointment and one of the main reasons why I swapped it for a Hymer with a decent, comfortable and useable lounge area.

I still cant get my head around why all British manufacturers insist on building a lounge that can be made up into a bed. That results in flat cushions with no profile which are (for us) uncomfortable to sit on.

OK, I accept it may be suitable for some who need a second bed but why not offer the option whereby they build a lounge that can't be made up into a bed but is more suitable and comfortable to sit on? After all, most people who use motorhomes are couples aren't they?

It's also very awkward to get to the storage space underneath the belted seats.

As for the dinette table, why don't British manufacturers use the same or similar table setup to the Europeans? A table on a single leg that rotates and slides in two directions.

I'm with GRC, the AutoTrail dinette is (in my opinion) poorly designed. It's obviously not been used and tested by the people who designed it.

Mike

10. GRC

GRC Funster

Thankyou, you have put it much better than me, with my sausage fingers,

I just a bit gutted, we took advice, when we had already decided on layout, most expensive non house purchase we have ever made & i've made an arse of it.

If they wont sort it, I will get the jig saw out

• Like Like x 1
  11. G7UXG

G7UXG Funster

GRC, Don't be too hard on yourself.

We did consider getting the whole thing re-upholstered with new, profiled cushions but then we got seduced by another motorhome at the Peterborough show.

All I did to secure the slatted base was fix a strip of wood to the left hand support for the base ( the panel immediately behind the driver's seat) and I adjusted the wooden rails onto which the slats are screwed so that they filled the gap between the two supports and the base couldn't twist and slip off the mounts. It took me about 30 minutes I suppose. Haven't got any pictures I'm affraid.

We also looked at buying a table similar to the European ones through one of the European accessory dealers such as Movera. You can buy the table legs, although they're expensive, and then find a suitable table top. I suppose you could bolt through the floor of the AutoTrail so long as you'd got a suitable spreader plate underneath to take the load.

I estimated that to have new cushions with leather upholstry and to fit a different table would have cost about £3500. It would have been the cheaper option but with no guarantee that we'd be happy with the end result.

Many would disagree but I think that AutoTrails are still good value for money, compared to what else is available.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  12. G7UXG

G7UXG Funster

The other thing that AutoTrail do in most of their motorhomes is put the telly in the cab. Great idea for saving space but it means you can't sit on the two most comfortable seats in the van to watch the telly. You've either got to sit on a sideways facing bench and look sideways at the telly, or sit on the uncomfortable dinette seat.

AND, I had to make a step to go in front of the dinette because the seat base is so long that when the Mrs. sat on the seat her feet couldn't touch the floor!

13. zac

zac Funster Life Member

We have a new delaware, the location of the tv is a pain as can only sit on the side seats. As for warranty repairs from Autotrail they are like so many other manufacturers a blinking nightmare to get anything approved. I have currently used approx 2500 miles since November last year travelling to and from dealer to have repairs done. Which of course brings the resale value down due to more miles on the vehicle.

My fault really as i should of brought from a more local dealer (360mile round trip). Still that said if there QC was a little better then this could of been avoided. We wont buy Autotrail again and this is for the same reason we wont by Elddis (first motorhome) as too many issues. I am sure they are all the same but i think this will be our last motorhome for quite some time. Our next one when we do decide will be brought from Europe and will be LH as we spend most of our time outside the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We are going to Auto-trail in Grimsby tomorrow to sort out a missing part of our front kitchen cabinet, the frame part of the closure was never fitted.
    We bought from Brownhills, Newark and they have been useless bordering on incompetent. We have made it clear we are not invoking the Warranty, as aware once used very,difficult to reject goods, instead insist was finished as a snag, twice Brownhills have invented fixtures to go on the frame, completely made em up.
    So I contacted Auto-trail direct and up to now they have been handling the issue in a very professional manor. We are going 1st thing tomorrow for them to fit the missing part as a snag, not Warranty.
    Will let you know how it goes, if they get in right.

Lin

15. Gellyneck

Couldn't disagree with you on that.
    I made up a bracket that mounts our 22" LED TV between the headrests of the half-dinette \ travelling seats so we can use the cab seats for watching.

• Like Like x 2
  16. zac

zac Funster Life Member

If Autotrail wern't so far away from us i would of dropped it off as well to let them sort it out. We brought ours from Brownhills as well but our experience with them has been a positive one as they have sorted out the all the previous issues. The painters that brownhills use need a lot to be desired as there finish is far from acceptable, this caused our van to have to go back a 2nd time for the same work. Brownhills did cover off the cost of picking it up and delivering it back but this added another 360miles to the total.

It is just the distance that is killing us with the additional mileage to get everything sorted out and Autotrail refusing some of the issues which Brownhills have then picked up to cover off which is not right. One of these issues is the vehicle has parts that are smooth on the outside and parts that are rough. Brownhills put into Autotrail that the van needs a full polish which they refused, not very good in my opinion even though Brownhills has offered to cover this off whilst all the other work is being dealt with.

Lesson learnt for us by a van that is either closer or has no warranty so you can sort yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Have a 2013 Mohawk with the half dinette, deigned by an idiot. I too modified the short side seat to stop it collapsing. The bed is almost impossible to use when making it up with the table, having to turn and wedge the drivers seat against it to stop it collapsing. I made up replacement insert of plywood and fitted it with a removable leg for additional support. Its a faff to set up but at least it works without fear of collapse in use.

The supplied table is a nightmare to use with next to no knee room making it necessary for those using front seats to be seated before table is put in position. We have bought a smaller table with adjustable legs which is far easier to live with. The supplied table is in a spare bedroom till we exchange the van.

I pointed all of this out to the dealer shortly after purchase and he was already aware and admitted to it being a known design weakness.

• Like Like x 2
  18. GRC

GRC Funster

I think you assume when purchased it will all work & fit together & I honestly believe you need to try & live with it for a month or so.

Which we did & guess what, it doesn't bloody work, I'm sorry for the other posters, but actually quite glad, as I was starting to think it was me just not being prepared to compromise, if they refuse to swap it back, I'm considering swapping the van,

I'm quite handy at diy & could make things & alter stuff, but with the amount of money spent on the van, why should I ?

I've already drilled hole & bolted the single seat together to support at back of drivers seat with wing nuts etc,

We spent a lot of cash on this van, it's not bloody ikea flatpack, which to be fair, is designed better than this

19. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

We have the Imala 615 with twin front bench seats. On the very few occasions that we watch TV, we are happy lounging on the bench seats to do so. Alternatively, we could set up another TV above the fridge and watch from the cab seats or we could put a TV on the cupboard bulkead and watch from the cab seats but I don't believe this to be comfortable either. It may just be me but the cab seats do not lock when turned inwards and they are obviously at an angle; fine for one person watching the TV but not so for the other. We would also end up with tangled legs, not a lot of room for two when swivelled. My preference is the way that it is currently, i.e. drop down TV in the cab. Other layouts with swivelling seats may make the cab seat TV viewing the best option but I don't believe ours is. Getting back to the dinette, the van we rented prior to purchase had a 4 person dinette and we hated it. Also sat in many others just to confirm so we avoided that lay out. Good luck with whatever you decide to do (y)

20. Gellyneck

We're in the fortunate position that our cab seats rotate fully however where we've got the TV located the passengers seat is best at a slight angle.
    We can also put our feet up on the remaining side bench and the half-dinette seating.

• Like Like x 1