Free Member
Dec 31, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1998
Does any one have any comments on the flimsy door retaining catch on new autotrail vans ? slight wind and someones going to get a large door in the face health & safety ?

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I have a 20006 Autotrail Scout....A couple of years ago I got locked out of the van...It took a guy nearly 2 hours to get in ! It would appear that standards have dropped....Happy new year !!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

cloud watcher

Free Member
Oct 25, 2009
Chiltern Hills
Funster No
MH
Low profile C/B
Exp
since 2000
Door retaining catch

We do not have a retaining catch. Due to the design of our motorhome fitting one would spoil the clean lines, and from past experience would not necessarily be secure in windy conditions.

Due to the location of our habitation door we are able to secure it with a rubber bungee to a steel strut on the wheel. We take care not to attach to just the plastic wheel cover. On a previous M/H we had a bungee from door handle to cab door.

Perhaps this is a solution for you?

Joyce

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Yes have to admit the retaining catch on our cherokee is totally usless,will
not hold the door in even the slightest breeze and also stops the door from opening fully so it catches the breeze even more.

Shame because the rest of the van apart from a couple of minor niggles is spot on.:thumb:

Oh i forgot about the radio but don't start me on that again.:Angry:

dave e

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Does any one have any comments on the flimsy door retaining catch on new autotrail vans ? slight wind and someones going to get a large door in the face health & safety ?
MOST THINGS ON EURO MOTOR HOMES ARE FLIMSY ITS JUST THE WAY THEY MAKE THEM CHEAP AND FLIMSY SO THEY CAN SELL THEM FOR A GREATER PROFIT
POOR IN THE LONG TERM AS THEY DEPRECIATE LIKE A MONEY HAS GONE OUT OF FASHION:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
T

third van

Free Member
Dec 31, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1998
auototrail habiitation door

Glad I am not the only one to be dissapointed with the door retaining catch as you said Dave ,door wont fully open either, another thing why do away with the long storage locker (across the width off the van at the front) pre 2012 model , is it to cut cost, Butnew van prices go up. I am a autotrail fan But it seems to 2 steps forward 3 steps back .I think designers never owned one of there vans

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Glad I am not the only one to be dissapointed with the door retaining catch as you said Dave ,door wont fully open either, another thing why do away with the long storage locker (across the width off the van at the front) pre 2012 model , is it to cut cost, Butnew van prices go up. I am a autotrail fan But it seems to 2 steps forward 3 steps back .I think designers never owned one of there vans

thats the problem the designers don't use them.
the way forward is to force the designer with their family to live in a pre production van for a month and then redesign it on their findings.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi We have similar problem on our door (Autocruise starfire2011) we use bungee on wheel also. Terry

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have a retaining bar above the door which stops the door opening fully, we had lots of trouble on the last van with it rusting and it came away from the door causing damage to the frame so we had to remove it and started using the bungee, we now use it all the time even with the new van when the door is open and affix it to the cab door handle and also to the hab door handle , works a treat especially with the rubber covered steel on the bungee so as not to cause damage to the doors.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back