autotrail habitation door

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by third van, Dec 31, 2011.

1. third van

third van Read Only Funster

Does any one have any comments on the flimsy door retaining catch on new autotrail vans ? slight wind and someones going to get a large door in the face health & safety ?

2. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

I have a 20006 Autotrail Scout....A couple of years ago I got locked out of the van...It took a guy nearly 2 hours to get in ! It would appear that standards have dropped....Happy new year !!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

3. cloud watcher

cloud watcher Read Only Funster

Door retaining catch

We do not have a retaining catch. Due to the design of our motorhome fitting one would spoil the clean lines, and from past experience would not necessarily be secure in windy conditions.

Due to the location of our habitation door we are able to secure it with a rubber bungee to a steel strut on the wheel. We take care not to attach to just the plastic wheel cover. On a previous M/H we had a bungee from door handle to cab door.

Perhaps this is a solution for you?

Joyce

4. maxsdad

maxsdad Funster

Yes have to admit the retaining catch on our cherokee is totally usless,will
    not hold the door in even the slightest breeze and also stops the door from opening fully so it catches the breeze even more.

Shame because the rest of the van apart from a couple of minor niggles is spot on.:thumb:

Oh i forgot about the radio but don't start me on that again.:Angry:

dave e

5. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

MOST THINGS ON EURO MOTOR HOMES ARE FLIMSY ITS JUST THE WAY THEY MAKE THEM CHEAP AND FLIMSY SO THEY CAN SELL THEM FOR A GREATER PROFIT
    POOR IN THE LONG TERM AS THEY DEPRECIATE LIKE A MONEY HAS GONE OUT OF FASHION:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. third van

third van Read Only Funster

auototrail habiitation door

Glad I am not the only one to be dissapointed with the door retaining catch as you said Dave ,door wont fully open either, another thing why do away with the long storage locker (across the width off the van at the front) pre 2012 model , is it to cut cost, Butnew van prices go up. I am a autotrail fan But it seems to 2 steps forward 3 steps back .I think designers never owned one of there vans

• Like Like x 2
  7. aba

aba

thats the problem the designers don't use them.
    the way forward is to force the designer with their family to live in a pre production van for a month and then redesign it on their findings.

8. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi We have similar problem on our door (Autocruise starfire2011) we use bungee on wheel also. Terry

9. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We have a retaining bar above the door which stops the door opening fully, we had lots of trouble on the last van with it rusting and it came away from the door causing damage to the frame so we had to remove it and started using the bungee, we now use it all the time even with the new van when the door is open and affix it to the cab door handle and also to the hab door handle , works a treat especially with the rubber covered steel on the bungee so as not to cause damage to the doors.