Autotrail Frontier Gas Locker 2x13Kg

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brightspark, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

I read a remark within another thread about Autotrail Frontier Chieftan or Comanche gas locker door will not close with 2 x 13KG gas bottles fitted. In the brochure it states that 2 x 13Kg can be carried. I have just been out & tried 2 bottles & its true, 1 will fit on the left & the door closes but move it to the right & the door will not close. Has any other owners experienced this & have they approached Autotrail about this anomaly?

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I have a 2012 apache 700..
    It's been a while but when I took delivery I tried two bottles and got the door stuck..
    At the rear of the locker floor are 2 brown bottle base holders.. I removed the left one so it's easier to slide in the bottles.. Now can fit in 2 but has to be done in the right order ( which I cant remember )..

3. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Own a 2013 AT Mohawk and have 2 x 13kg Alugas bottles fitted, no problems plenty of clearance either can be removed or fitted easily.:thumb:

4. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

Sounds as though they may have made a mod since 2010 models or are the alugas bottles a touch smaller than calor propane? I shall also remove the brown bottle supports from the back of the gas box tomorrow in the daylight.

5. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

That is more than likely my thread. Auto-Trail woes.
    I am in contact with Auto-Trail and they tell me it is an isolated problem that I have, but I didn't believe them. Now I definately don't believe them.
    The person I am in contact with at the factory is Andrew Davies.
    His e-mail is andrew.davies@auto-trail.co.uk

I would be very grateful if you would contact him and complain about this and do it via e-mail so that it is recorded. I have been getting the run-around for almost ten months now and I am getting pi**ed off with them.

It is something that I can fix myself, but I want to know why it has occurred in the first place, and I am not getting any answers. Basically they don't want to accept responsibilty for it, because they can't admit they have made them wrong.

Any help would be most useful and gratefully accepted. :thumb: :thanks2:

6. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

Yes it was you knockinonabit I remember it as you also have a Comanche like mine. I will put an email together over the weekend. What age is your Comanche? & wots the fix? is it to remove the brown bottle buffers?

7. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

It's a 2011 but not registered until 2012 (when I bought it).

To fix it I had to reduce the depth of the plastic on the retaining strap mounts by shaving them down with a Stanley knife.
    Another option is to do away with the plastic altogether and screw through the straps directlty to the back wall of the locker and use large washers to prevent the screws pulling through. Not pretty, but it works.

Auto-Trail now don't use the composite material for the gas locker, they use galvanised metal instead.

I have had refillable gas bottles fitted and these are 11kg each and fit no problem. All I want from Auto-Trail is for them to say that they made a mistake and how they can put it right.

I wonder how many more there are out there who have the problem but have said nothing and/or used smaller bottles ?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Also should have mentioned that the brown locating lugs at the bottom of the locker were so far off centre that they were bent over by the bottles, as were the retaining straps.

Another myth that Auto-Trail would have you believe is that all of them are made to order. So in reality there should be none stood on dealers forecourts for customers to look at, like mine was. They go so far as to tell you that they are all delivered on a truck, so there should be no more than 15 miles on the clock. That bit could be correct.

If you ever can, I would recomend doing the factory visit, and listen carefully.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  9. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

I'm pleased it sounds as though its a DIY fix rather than wait for AT to offer a solution as I have purchased 2 x 13Kg bottles ready for our winter travels. Our Comanche was not 'new' to us but 2 yrs old so all the teething problems have been dealt with (I hope he says touching wood)

10. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

It's only a diy fix cos Auto-Trail have done sod all about it. :BigGrin:

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I take your point but WHY???? In the 'real world' this is a miniscule problem which can be solved by the owner and/or their dealer if needs be, they appear to have changed the design now anyway so what points are you hoping to score by this? :Sad:

Think of it this way, the more they have to deal with 'small' problems like this, the more people with 'large' problems have to wait to get their issues resolved. I am not making excuses as this shouldn't happen, but then we don't live in a perfect world either .... :Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  12. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Because when you pay an arm and a leg for a product, the least that you should expect is that it does what it says on the tin. It's not about scoring points, it's about getting what I have paid for. Why should I have to fix something that should not be broken ?

We have British friennds who live in America and they have taught us that as a nation we get what we deserve. The Yanks would create holy hell if they paid for something and it was defective, but not us Brits. Oh no, it's just not done to complain, is it !
    Well I'm sorry, but it is.
    That may sound harsh, but we go to a restaurant and the meal is not up to standard. The waiter comes past and says "Is everything ok?" and we all say "Yes thank you" and then we leave a tip !!!!! Why don't we say "This meat is tough" or "It's cold" or whatever it happens to be ?

Well I am not leaving a tip and I am certainly not happy with the service or the product. So I am complaining until I get a satisfactory answer. Up until now they have taken my money and offered not even an apology, so forgive me if I seem a little bitter, but I am.

I hope that explains how I feel without causing offence, but it does "wind me up" that we accept sub-standard as the norm, without questioning it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

To clarify one point, all converters make to order, ie in a batch of specific models, vans are not made for stock to be delivered as and when a dealer orders.

Once made, they are all delivered by transporter normally for a dealer to stock on his forecourt so it is possible for same vans to 'sit' until retail sold.

Peter

14. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

What has that got to do with a design fault?

15. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Something that I said in the last post on page one of this thread.

The tour guide at the factory should check his facts then.
    He said that each MH made has someones name on it as they are all built for a specific customer.
    Yes , I agree that they are made in batches, or production runs of particular models, but the guide definately said that each one was for a specific customer.
    The guide is a retired worker from the factory who comes in to do the tours.

I am not knocking the overall product, by the way, as I like our Auto-Trail, and so does my wife. We are just frustrated by small things that spoil our enjoyment of what is a good vehicle.
    How would you like it in your MH if you never knew whether the main habitation lights would turn on ? And sometimes, even more infuriatingly, they won't turn off. Just one of the "little" things that mar the product.

16. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Auto-Trail Frontier Gas Locker 2x13kg.

There is an Auto-Trail factory rally from Thursday 9th May until Monday 13th May. The venue is on Market Rasen racecourse and members will be bused to the factory on Saturday. Although it is fully booked you can still go and park your motorhome or car outside the factory and be allowed to go round and see how they are made. There are a few trade stands of suppliers such as Sargeant and Dometic.

17. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

If it is fully booked then there is no point in us going as we have already done the factory tour, but thanks for the info anyway. :thumb:

18. Deckard

Deckard Read Only Funster

I am not sure this is relevant - who cares how they are built and delivered?
    The vehicle has a design fault, however small, its causing the client immense frustration and thats the key - the factory could be more attentive, find the root of the problem and improve future designs to eliminate the problem. Its called progress. This is how designs are improved.

It cannot be an isolated case - there must be a batch (by your own admission they are made in batches) - so there will be a batch off fed up clients. imagine the PR if they said - bring it down and we'll fix it - no charge!

If it were me, I'd take my MH, park at the factory and put up a big banner...lets see how fast they respond to that! :Rofl1:

There are now many products and organisations i wont touch because of previous crappy client service over the years. If more of us did the same the bad ones would wither and die like they should

Although JC MH has good feedback here, so you'll be ok :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I did say that I got your point :BigGrin:

What I don't really understand is why you're letting it wind you up - little things can annoy you to hell but ONLY if you let them. :cry:

We had some bits and pieces on our PVC that weren't quite right, nothing major, so I just sorted them out myself. Over the years we've had some major problems on other vans, and one in particular which caused a fire due to a dealer's incompetence (extremely frightening! :Eek!:), but I try hard never to lose sight of the fact that we love motorhoming and won't let these stupid things spoil it for us.:Smile:

You are happy with your van which is great so just forget about all the annoying stuff and enjoy it. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

I have a new Comanche (2013 model) and experienced the same problem. I fitted one 13kg bottle on the right side and one 6kg on the other, when I closed the locker it snagged the opening mechanism and It took ages to be able to get into the locker again. I have left the 13kg bottle at home. I never tried it in the opposite configuration. Interesting that removing the bottom brackets that they fit, I will try that when we get home again at the end of May.