Autotrail from Brownhills

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BOND, Mar 27, 2014.

1. BOND

BOND Read Only Funster

Ever heard the saying "In at the deep end"?

We've just collected our 1st ever motorhome, it's an Autotrail Comanche from Brownhills - brave or stupid??
    After reading about both product & supplier we stayed well away & embarked on a few long trips last year up & down the country viewing all sorts of new & s/h motorhomes upto 38ft RV's. We ended one day at Brownhills & viewed a new Comanche they had in stock, it wasn't the spec we wanted but it gave us a good idea of size/layout. we were both very impressed, the staff were the complete opposite to what we'd read & the Autotrail was as good as any we'd seen. A trip to the Autotrail factory tour was arranged.
    After the trip I went back & had a decent deal with Brownhills, a brand new order with every extra available & below the screen price.
    We waited a few months for the order to be built & when we collected stayed overnight to iron out any faults, we met some of the service staff, some very good, some average. I kept the names of the good ones!
    A few issues that coudn't be sorted on the day that should of been picked up on the PDI means we have to go back, simple stuff thats all over most forums (don't these guys ever go on the net??)
    It's a lot of money & yes both Autotrail & Brownhills could have done a little better but on the whole we're pretty impressed with both SO FAR! First proper trip next week so watch this space :BigGrin:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

All the best with your new van, I wish you many happy miles with it. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Enjoy your new toy :Smile:

4. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Nice to read a satisfied write up ,enjoy many happy days in your NEW Adventure,:thumb:

5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Pleased to see a positive Autotrail thread:thumb:

We are really happy with ours.

The only gripe I have ( and it's a minor one) is that there are lights everywhere in the van, but the switches which operate these lights are in the most stupid places ever. We have had the van a year now and I still don't know which switch operates which set of lights. :Doh:

• Like Like x 7
  6. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

7. plumbomb

plumbomb Funster

Same here, we have had our van a year love it to bits, no problems at all (yet) but like you say lights switchs everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Light switches, what are they and should we have some too :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 3
  9. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Good luck and I really hope you enjoy your new AutoTrail. :thumb:

Remember to post feedback, good and bad, on your experience with the motorhome and the dealer. :active:

10. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Yes, that's a good point. It's all too easy to post in anger when things don't go well so it is good to balance things by posting good experiences too. :thumb:

Wyn

• Like Like x 2
  11. BOND

BOND Read Only Funster

I noticed all the different light switches but were given a remote control presumably to combat this - I'll let you know how I go.:Smile:

12. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:Smile:Hi Bond, so pleased you are happy with your purchase. Hope you have many miles of happy memories ahead.

Brownhills has had some pretty dire postings about them on here, but I bought my last, not current, van from them and I just loved it.... I was really pleased and the showroom staff were brilliant and helpful if I had to phone up to ask about switches and fuses etc.... They had a couple of open weekends for past customers .... free food and drink, overnight parking and entertainment and these, too, were great.

My big issue came with the service and garage experience when I took the van in for servicing, or small jobs i wanted doing. They were awful and returned my van with fuses missing ... that hadn't been missing when it went in .... and more things going wrong than had been when I drove in.... BUT that branch has now closed down so you shouldn't have that problem.

If they have an open weekend might be worth you trying..:thumb:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

Autotrail

Hi
    I hope you enjoy your new home as much as we do ours, there will never be a van without faults or little niggles, but we are happy with the build and quality bearing in mind if it were built like a battleship it would be close to ten Tonnes, everything in motorhomes are a compromise :BigGrin::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  14. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Spot on....... not forgetting that some of the faults experienced is due to equipment such as (e.g.) the fridge which is supplied and warranted by an outside supplier, even though the responsibility is the dealer....... It can get complicated when things go wrong. I was lucky with my last new van. only major fault was the electric step failing. I knew it was the relay not working properly but as the step was under warranty itself, it had to be replaced in its entirety to go back to the step manufacturer. Crazy? yes...... but that is how it works sometimes

All the very best with it. Nice looking van - someone local has one parked in their drive and it looks really good

15. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Yes, we have got a remote controller but I haven't tried that.

I found it the other day looking for change on the Dartford crossing:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Reckon Brownhills have had a good talk to themselves a wee while ago.. Lots of good reports about them nowadays !!

Swift and Autotrail need that same talking to now !

• Like Like x 4