Autotrail electrics question ( again LOL !! ) (1 Viewer)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
swap the batteries around and see it the issue reverses! If it is van based the problem will stay the same. If it it battery based the issue will be reversed!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !! Great minds and all that ! Did that the other day as it was the easiest thing to try.. Thought one of the batteries might have a high resistance or some such so needed to check as they are only two weeks old !
But nope.. the issue stayed with the leads and not the batteries..

Stef Derner

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
On the current drain front, I noticed if the Obserview panel supply is not switched off using the rocker switch above the A/V selector, next to the charger, the IR LEDs on the reversing camera remain on all of the time whether or not reverse is selected.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Jaws. I was told that the EM50 box does the ( Dreaded ) rear step, so maybe the step being remotely operated by the fob is taking a draw ?? My red LED also on always..

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just as a matter of interest many X250 chassis cab Autotrail models have the batteries mounted along the front of the off side chassis behind the skirt. Recently I had to remove them for attention and check the fuse carriers and noticed the box was loose causing a pendulum type movement. Obviously I was concerned that in time the batteries could end up dropping onto the road so I've had the carrier strengthened with extra steel straps being fitted from the chassis to the steel bracket attached to the box. The nearside where the gas bottles are stored is sound and solid. Auto-Trail have been made aware about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Not getting ANY sense out of Autotrail and Sargent has promised to call back and failed.....

The system in the van seems to draw about .5 of an amp all the time, even though the panel is ( supposedly ) switched off.

Under the seat there is a secondary control box.. There is a red LED on all the time..

A) Should that red LED be on all the time ?

B) Should there be a current draw when everything is switched off according to the panel ?

I can understand a few milliamps to keep the panel clock going and of course it will effectively be in some sort of standby mode, but .5 of an amp seems a LOT !!

@Jaws Your thread has made good reading(y) We are also looking for the draw. However there seems no answer at the end of your thread. Can you give me an update on this thread please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes.. It is the control circuits in the EM50 unit.
As soon as I unplugged the unit from the system the draw went..
But I also recalibrated the panel and checked it with a meter rather than rely on the panel.
The draw is actually only .15 amps.. Still a notable amount and still sufficient to drain a battery over an extended period
I believe there to be only two reasonable solutions
Solar panel.. which would deliver enough current to cover the drain even in the worst of weather
Or
Isolate the battery completely from the hab system

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thankyou..Will get Alan to read all the thread later. I think he will find it very useful. Good old search box(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back