Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Hi all. Our travels continue & we're just north of Perpignan in a nice Aire by the sea, weather glorious! After the issues with the towbar electrics i had hoped for no more problems but i've discovered a crack in the waste drain pipe just before the valve on the straight length if pipe. I've taped it up with duct tape & that seems to be holding butI plan to get a piece of pipe when we get to our winter stopover. Issue is the straight bit is glued into the valve & the right angle that comes out the tank. I don't want to end up with a tank connection leak or worse so has anyone any tips on how to get a glued pipe apart? Cheers

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Heat will soften the glue but beware of fire but do you have to remove the damaged piece?

Can you not cut out the damaged section and replace it with a 1/4 turn tap or a short pice vof the same pipe with 2 straight couplers..
Or even the next size pipe up which should slide over the existsing. Cut a length to cover the crack and then cut out a piece along the length about 10mm wide. Slide this over the pipe with the crack in. Now cover the cracked area in glue and secure the short pipe over it with 2-3 jubilee clips.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would leave the glued joints well alone

As suggested above get 2 straight connectors and a short piece of pipe the same size as your existing

Depending on how long the split is, you might get away with a single straight coupler and a slightly shorter overall length, save buying the pipe

(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not clear on if it's a longitudinal or transverse crack and if it's tight to the pipe \ valve.
As there is no real water pressure on the waste pipework could you not just use PVC pipeweld on its own or to stick a scrap patch of pvc over the crack?

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
THanks guys, great ideas & thoughts. Duct tape is holding at the moment so it's all cool. The crack is near the valve so doubt I could get a coupler in the space available. Crack is about 3 inches long and is arc shaped so supports being hit by a stone or something like that. I will have to replace the pipe I think but if it holds until I get the the Algarve I'll sort it there trying the warming idea for the joints I think. Many many thanks.

marjohn

Free Member
Jun 25, 2013
lowestoft
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 years
THanks guys, great ideas & thoughts. Duct tape is holding at the moment so it's all cool. The crack is near the valve so doubt I could get a coupler in the space available. Crack is about 3 inches long and is arc shaped so supports being hit by a stone or something like that. I will have to replace the pipe I think but if it holds until I get the the Algarve I'll sort it there trying the warming idea for the joints I think. Many many thanks.
Can't you get a cheap soldering and seal the crack you never know when you need a soldering iron marjohn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I could be wrong but the joint is probably made with solvent weld which will have fused the plastic together so it wont pull apart with heat so would go down the patch or solvent weld the crack route also much easier .If you leave it will not have to empty the tank and if the leak is slow enough no-one will notice!!!!(y)

David

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You can buy a repair paste for petrol/diesel tanks which is in a tube, most car accessory shops and some large petri stations sell it. . You just cut of a length, mix by hand and apply. Sets hard as a rock and won't leak again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back