AutoTrail Comanche overhang

Discussion in 'Auto-Trail' started by pizzajohn, Mar 14, 2014.

1. pizzajohn

pizzajohn Read Only Funster

Hi,

We recently ordered a Comanche at the NEC in February and were considering having E&P self levelling Jacks installed.

We went along the the SW Motorhome show today in Exeter, to discuss the jacks with Courtside Conversions and the VB Air Suspension system came up in conversation. Apparently, not only is the ride improved but, the system also levels. An added bonus was that the nose can be dropped and the rear raised so that when loading/unloading on ferries, there is no danger of the overhang grounding.

My questions are, are these Motorhomes prone to grounding? and

Does the Comanche's rid need improving?

At present I'm comfortable with the E&P system being an addition to my vehicle but, I wonder if the replacement of the coil springs would affect my warranty and, what if they develop a fault. It's one thing if a jack won't descend but no suspension......

Has anyone experience of the Air Suspension system

John

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Can't help sorry, but I am a bit worried about the overhang on our Scout when we go to Santander in April.

3. f6c

f6c Funster

I have air on the rear of mine I think its a much better ride and gives about 150mm higher rear lift:Wink:

4. Followtheox

Followtheox Read Only Funster

Never had a problem with Comanche ride or overhang. You do not need rear stabilizers, even in high wind it will not move. The overhang on the Scout is longer than the Comanche.

5. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

overhang

Hi
    This is interesting subject I am considering the E&P levelling system because we spend a lot of time by the coast and the buffeting from the wind rocks the van slightly Also I can’t be bothered to level the dam thing
    As for the grounding getting on and off ferries isn’t an issue i did ground out once coming off a site in Swanage but the ramp was about 30 degrees and the underside of the tow bar just kissed the ground but as i was aware i moved at a snail’s pace.
    I would be interested in other forms of levelling devices as the E&P system is about 5k fitted
    Regards

6. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

I have not had a problem with grounding, getting on or off the ferries. I would also consider the E &P levelling as I find the levelling the biggest chore, it is easy, but I don't particularly like using a ramp on one of the rear axles only.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

We have air suspension and never bother putting the stabilisers down,also never rock around when travelling,but was fitted when we bought it so got nothing to compare it with.