autotrail apache water igress/ damp

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by shakeytits, Apr 24, 2014.

1. shakeytits

shakeytits Read Only Funster

My 2008 700se apache has bad damp in front habitation area under front seat and side of cushion ( mould ) anyone had any issues. Thanks

2. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

I've owned 3 Autotrails, the 03 on a Merc chassis was perfect in every way. Then I bought a brand new 09 on a Fiat chassis which was a sponge on wheels then an 11 reg which was even worse. The water ingress should never have happened and there were many other problems all caused by poor quality control management. I might add that the later models have a different design of skirt which is very flimsy. In the past they were known as a premium well built motorhome but because of my experience my view of their products leave much to be desired.

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I did post earlier from my ipad BUT it seems to have dissapeared ???

Have heard mention of a few Autotrails with ingress problems around the windows, also some where the outer sides started to crack on the corners..

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObHXPnTtMho"]AUTOTRAIL APACHE 700 SE 2008 WATER INGRESS - YouTube[/ame]

4. shakeytits

water ingress.

5. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Last year our 2010 developed a dinette window leak with identical symptoms,largely due to not using it and not discovering it quickly. We have so far had 3 of our windows resealed because of leaks.

6. shakeytits

water ingress.

Yep seems to be a problem as this motorhome has been stood for some time. It only seems to be the front dinette window.i think I will have a go at sealing it myself..has anyone done this or is it a dealer issue.

7. PAGR

PAGR Funster Life Member

We had exactly the same problem with our 2008 Arapaho last year. Took the window out surprisingly easily as we found the sealant was originally on the frame but was too low at the top to meet the body. We had changed the angle at which it is parked up and water was finding a new route down the side.
    Cleaned it all up, resealed, and no problems since. Also resealed the capping behind the drivers door at the same time as I thought that may have been letting water in.
    Ran a dehumidifier focused on the damp patch for a while after.

8. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Ive never had a problem with damp but there must have been one at sometime before I owned my van around the rear top l think it was caused by the screws holding the top of the ladder there now seems an excess of sealant over them which looks like a warraty repair. I had some cracking of the sealant on the joints around the van and I saw the same on loads of vans. I had it completely y resealed professional ly by uk campers lincoln Allthough it could be diy job if you have the time and the skills

9. Steve304

Steve304 Read Only Funster

This is very unusual for a Motorhome of this vintage, more to be expected on older vans. Especially those which have been subjected to extreme weather differences over time, i.e. hot summers abroad then cold winters at home.

Good news is it should be a relatively simple fix, but if it's still under warranty, get your dealer to sort it out. This might help to show how it's put together? http://www.leisurespares.co.uk/files/repair_s4-top_hung_window.pdf

Steve

PS Great username by the way:Smile:

10. shakeytits

water ingress

cheers steve, looks pretty straight forward, as i dont need to strip the window just seperate the inner and outer frames and fit some new sealing compound, so now lets wait for a dry day ? lol