Autotrail Apache charger problem (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo all, on a rally at Muir of Ord at the mo one of our members leisure batteries have gone flat (11.5 volts) all fuses are OK but there doent seem to be any output at batteries, its a 58 plate Apached 700 anyone have any suggestions:thumb::thumb::thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
1. Have you checked the fuse in the lead coming off the leisure battery, obvious I know but some people just look at the control box. The 2008 I think is different layout to both my 2005 and 2012 model so no point me saying where to look.

2. I have heard tales of the control panel above the door throwing a wobbly and needing a re-set. This is done ( so I read once) by taking off the trim around the control panel, removing panel. Taking off the main clip in multiplug and leaving for a while. Re- assemble..

Hope any of that helps.. Have you put a multimeter across the battery and see what voltage you get with engine running? see if any charge is going in off regulator...

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
1. Have you checked the fuse in the lead coming off the leisure battery, obvious I know but some people just look at the control box. The 2008 I think is different layout to both my 2005 and 2012 model so no point me saying where to look.

2. I have heard tales of the control panel above the door throwing a wobbly and needing a re-set. This is done ( so I read once) by taking off the trim around the control panel, removing panel. Taking off the main clip in multiplug and leaving for a while. Re- assemble..

Hope any of that helps.. Have you put a multimeter across the battery and see what voltage you get with engine running? see if any charge is going in off regulator...

Thanks for that Tonka, tried disconnecting the control pane first, have checked both 20a fuses at batteries and both OK. There is a small charge going in from regulator, also told the batteries required a small top up with demineralised water last week. Batteries are Banners and 3 years old.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Another rallier has a 12v charger which we have connected up and both battery charge levels are creeping up slowly (its only a 3amp charge)

Running engine puts a charge into batteries so problem is with the onboard charger :Eeek:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Another rallier has a 12v charger which we have connected up and both battery charge levels are creeping up slowly (its only a 3amp charge)

Running engine puts a charge into batteries so problem is with the onboard charger :Eeek:

I had mine fail a couple of years back, sargent do a repair service

link here: http://sargentshop.co.uk/ thier very quick with turnaround

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Do the older Sargent chargers have an internal fuse does anyone know?

When they went onto hook up after topping up batteries charger was noisy and it's cooling fan was running for some time. Batteries will be 4 years old next month my theory is batteries are failing and this has been accelerated by topping up with water and charger has struggled to charge them and either blown a fuse or tripped an internal overload :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Do the older Sargent chargers have an internal fuse does anyone know?

When they went onto hook up after topping up batteries charger was noisy and it's cooling fan was running for some time. Batteries will be 4 years old next month my theory is batteries are failing and this has been accelerated by topping up with water and charger has struggled to charge them and either blown a fuse or tripped an internal overload :whatthe:

Ive never had mine apart as they are riveted closed and did not want to fall fowl of any reason to refuse repairs. I would not expect any fuses inside though, but the is more than probably a self resetting thermal overload switch and with all the hot weather plus duff batteries trying to pull more volts it could have easily triped out. Why not swap out both batteries with a known good one, let it all cool a bit (external fan?) and try again. At least you will know for sure before a costly repair that might not need doing.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Charging

I assume you are on EHU?

If you are there was another thread on here recently where a Autotrail leisure batteries had gone flat whilst on EHU as it was on reverse polarity.

For some reason it did not charge - might be worth checking. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back