Autotrail Apache buying advise please (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Friends of mine are wanting to buy a moterhome after finally having had enough of tenting. They have seen and fallen in love with an Autotrail Apache 700 with a U shaped lounge and are looking at something circa 2009-2011.

The first one they saw sold before they could get to see it but the dealer still showed them round and they decided this was the motorhome for them. Now Travelworld have one on their books, that is out of the country with the current owner, all my friends have seen so far is photos. Travelworld have told them that they will need to pay a £1,000 deposit in order to secure the van (unseen), as apparently someone else is interested in it. Is this normal practice? It seems a bit odd to me, are these vans so rare or should they walk away?

They want to use the van for skiing trips too, so will have to get it winterised by a workshop that really knows what this means!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
NEVER! NEVER EVER! Give over any Dosh till you've seen the thing:Angry:

AND are prepared to take delivery of it RIGHT THEN!!!

IT COULD BE A CON, my advice is, WALK AWAY:Angry:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I know is seem obvious to us. I am desperately trying to calm their enthusiasm so they don't jump in with both feet without thinking it through. Are Travelworld good dealers? I know they advertise on here and I haven't read any bad reports about them, but it does seem out of order to ask for a deposit for a used van.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Can't comment on deposit issue, seems strange and against all advice, are they having cash flow problems is first question that springs to my mind?

Ours is 2010. Its a 6 belts six berth. six belts means the TV fitted is next to useless as only one person can see it properly, so be aware.

Payload is not brilliant for 6, we weighed ours just before a long trip with 2 adults, 2 smallish grandchildren, little water but full tank of diesel and were marginally over max weight, no bikes or extras other than second leisure battery and solar panel. we had 2 calor bottles then but now have one alugas so some savings there.

I have slept in bunk, 6 foot and a teensy bit over 16 stone, but would not recommend it. Dinette sleeping is really for 2 small chidren, i cant fit.

Our son has an Alsatian and when camping with him and it comes in it has great difficulty turning around, so be aware with pets.

If on electric hook ups the 240v hob ring is a godsend, but for smaller pans. watch fridge lock, breaks easily.

we needed duvalays for rear mattress as its in lots of pieces to make up the double.

Or problems have related to water connections and window leaks. Also a repair to the Sergeant electrical control unit.

Check the struts on the awning.

i have yet to meet someone whose waste water gauge works.

our spare wheel is really awkward to get in and out, even to check for air pressure.

They can sink when parked on soft ground.

grandkids love it - thank god they go to school sometime.

Also check out the Bailey, 746 model I think.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Yes Sir, I have just exactly what you are looking for coming in soon,:ROFLMAO:

Also followed by--

I have 4 other interested buyers

I have to take your money before I have even found/bought one

I will have you as a guaranteed punter as I have your 1k and sell you any old tripe

No No,
See it first, then make sure everything works ok,
Then deal the dealer Down:thumb:

Spend in haste ,regret at leisure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dont give any money up front till the van is there... Just sales patter...
I had a 2005 model for 5 years, my friend has a 2008 and I bought a new one in January 2012 so know the model quite well. The layout really works for us..

There are some issues but there are with almost every van.
After 2010 model they fitted deeper and bigger rear locker, thats a bonus..
Ref payload they changed the chassis for 3850 to 4005 and now its 4250 so depending on the year and spec, payload will vary. Mine has 730kg.
Grumps makes a few good points, Dinette beds are short. Water gauge never acurate.
Rear lounge bed, we use a large 1" memory foam mattres, get the cushions in the right order and also turn them over and it's ok.. We have spent 3 months away in ours using the bed every night.

When I bought my van, Travelworld had one in stock and REFUSED to give me a price !! Cash buy no part ex and they had the van there !! Told me to try other dealers and then go back to them first.. Yea right... Spent the cash elsewhere....:thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sandra can't comment on the company but by no means would I part with money until I had seen it in person if someone else is interested in it then as my dad used to say whats for you won't go by you

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It seems a bit odd to me, are these vans so rare or should they walk away?

They want to use the van for skiing trips too, so will have to get it winterised by a workshop that really knows what this means!

They are not rare, just a popular layout and van... A good selling point really...

Ref winterising.. You will need to look into that as the tanks are exposed under the van.. There is some lagging but I dont think it's classed as a winterised van.. Also remember if they have a tank heater fitted ( mine came with it but not specified by me) they use a bit of power so you need good batteries or mains hook up..

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Friends of mine are wanting to buy a moterhome after finally having had enough of tenting. They have seen and fallen in love with an Autotrail Apache 700 with a U shaped lounge and are looking at something circa 2009-2011.

The first one they saw sold before they could get to see it but the dealer still showed them round and they decided this was the motorhome for them. Now Travelworld have one on their books, that is out of the country with the current owner, all my friends have seen so far is photos. Travelworld have told them that they will need to pay a £1,000 deposit in order to secure the van (unseen), as apparently someone else is interested in it. Is this normal practice? It seems a bit odd to me, are these vans so rare or should they walk away?

Is this real how gullible are folks dddddoooooonnnnttttt

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If they want a properly winterised van tell them to get a Hymer!::bigsmile:

Mike

:RollEyes: I have told them just that, but they think it's because we have a Hymer. She is a great friend but her heart is ruling her head at the moment. Have been bombarding them with all your comments.....they have gone a bit quite now so I may have over done it!:Doh:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Thanks guys. I am passing all your comments on, apart from Hilldwellers:winky:

I think your wrong, his is the most valid piont:thumb:

dont forget to tell them to look at the scout models, the older scouts are the same size as the newer apachies, the newer scouts are a bit bigger again, and the arapahos are just BIGGER with the same layout:Eeek:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think your wrong, his is the most valid piont:thumb:

dont forget to tell them to look at the scout models, the older scouts are the same size as the newer apachies, the newer scouts are a bit bigger again, and the arapahos are just BIGGER with the same layout:Eeek:

I had a new scout back in 2001....
After it got smashed, repaired, not used due to work comitments
and finally sold (long story )..:Doh:

We decided we wanted another van and looked at the 700.. As they are so similar I asked the salesman "whats the difference between the scout and the 700"
Straight faced and quite serious just said "10 grand" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes, Scout a good choice. The new ones have a bit more spec but actually less payload..

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Some funsters do ski with modded Brit vans, BUT they require more energy to keep them frost free.
When off grid on an aire you need to be as energy efficient as possible. How much will these modifications cost? Does that workshop REALLY know what it is doing?
Its less hassle to just buy a winterised van. Rear u-shaped lounges DO exist on winterised Euro vans!:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Slightly bigger lounge in the new Scout compared to the Apache.

I didnt know it had less payload though:Doh:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Slightly bigger lounge in the new Scout compared to the Apache.

I didnt know it had less payload though:Doh:

Yes they have all got a bit longer and I can lie down lengthways in a Scout but to the Apache..
It's maybe because of the big fridge freezer, extra battery and solar panel that makes it a bit less...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know is seem obvious to us.

Hey, we fell for it, sort of.

Fell in love with this Burstner ( it was standing there and properly priced up ) but rushed a bit and did not haggle because "someone else is coming back tomorrow". Stupid. With hindsight we could have saved a bit. 7 years on it hardly matters.

Get them to read Jim's buyers guide.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes they have all got a bit longer and I can lie down lengthways in a Scout but to the Apache..
It's maybe because of the big fridge freezer, extra battery and solar panel that makes it a bit less...

My wife likes the big fridge freezer.

She also likes eating out.

:Doh:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
apache

Regarding the winterisation, the Apache isn`t in anyway prepared for below freezing temps.
We have just purchased a brand new model and been underneath it, all the holes through the floor to accomodate the various pipes and wiring are well oversized for the job and then had a unsightly blob of black non adhesieve applied to seal the gap, actually 3 of these large blobs had come loose in the hole and as said didn`t adhere to the floor of the M/H or the pipe leaving the exposed fllor open to any water splashes, mice or anything else that could get through.
Quite worrying when 2 off the holes are right in front of the real road wheels so no protection against road water.
The large rear locker is excellent for storage but again large holes to allow a wire and the water pipes through from the underseat lockers will also allow a small gale to blow through into the living accomodation.

The cab is a very cold place in the Fiat Ducato so we have fitted a solid removable wall to close off the cab from the living area, easy enough to do, we just pull the over cab bed into position and the boards fit underneath.

Both fresh and waste water tanks are slung under the M/H so aren`t frost protected, the drain pipes are also exposed.

Ours has the standard 2.3lltr 130bp engine and have to say it`s well underpowered compared to the 3 ltr we had in the larger Arapaho considering it`s pulling a lot less weight, we`ll definitely be getting it remapped.
The Apache is an easy M/H to live with just beware of it`s limitations, something they don`t point out in the glossy brochure.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ours has the standard 2.3lltr 130bp engine and have to say it`s well underpowered compared to the 3 ltr we had in the larger Arapaho considering it`s pulling a lot less weight, we`ll definitely be getting it remapped.
The Apache is an easy M/H to live with just beware of it`s limitations, something they don`t point out in the glossy brochure.

It’s interesting that you have gone smaller from an Arapaho to an Apache, I’m thinking of doing it the other way round and going bigger, did you have any particular problems size wise with the Arapaho? Do you find the Apache better in this respect?

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F

hi there i have known ross and annabelle for about 10yrs now and always thought that they were ok.we have bought a motorhome off them and got treated fine and got a good deal.but there is no way that i would release any cash before seeing the vechicle.that would be a big no no for me.
brian:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Tell them to look on line at FIAT X 250 reviews!!!!! I owned one for six months and 8000 miles, lovely when they are working. I sleep at night now i have sold it. BUSBY:Smile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Tell them to look on line at FIAT X 250 reviews!!!!! I owned one for six months and 8000 miles, lovely when they are working. I sleep at night now i have sold it. BUSBY:Smile:

I had my van new Jan 2012. Done 16,000 miles so far in 20 months..
3 trips to Spain and back. 1 Trip (5k) Morocco and back...
No issues and cant fault it, more like a car than the previous cab with the 2.8jtd engine.

Aware that early van had issues, water ingress, clutch judder etc.. but fingers crossed the Fiat has been good . Just let down by the Autotrail build quality :Sad:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Re deposit to secure, this is not unusual, in my experience, I was after a MH a long away from me, I could have paid a returnable deposit of £250 and the dealer would hold it for a couple days to enable me to get to view it, if I didn`t like it or it wasn`t suitable or I could have transfer it to another MH, I would get the £250 back fair enough, then we had a death in the family and didn`t know when I would be able to view it so I declined, it sold next day, such is life.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would say RUN away from any dealer that asks you for money for a motorhome that you have not seen and driven if they have that type of sharp practice then imagine how helpful they are going to be with the warranty:Doh:

I would invite comment on this from JCM well Peter what do you think ?

If your friends can afford to buy from a dealer go to one that has a good name for customer service and honesty even if it means a long trip to buy one they need to start here
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/

and have a word with these for advice they love to help people and know a happy customer is one that returns to spend again and tell their friends something sadly lacking in a lot of dealers today.(and no I am not Peters love child):ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We bought our Autotrail Dakota recently from Oaktree Motors near Nottingham. Having lost out on another Autotrail before this, it was suggested that we put a "holding deposit" on it until we drove down from Scotland. Oaktree said they appreciated that we were coming down quite a distance and tried to make it as easy as possible considering the distance.

We paid the holding deposit, but we were told that should we not like the van after seeing it, we would be given our £300 deposit back. There was no doubt about this, we wouldn't have taken the risk of losing the money, had we not liked the van when we got down.

Just another thing, we looked online at a Lunar Roadstar 786 at (Freeborn) Guildford. They didn't ask for a deposit to hold the van, but did offer to drive it up to let us see it. But after some consideration, there were several things we didn't like about it. However, despite them telling us that "someone else was coming down from Manchester" to see the van......it is still for sale several months on.

Bill

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
It’s interesting that you have gone smaller from an Arapaho to an Apache, I’m thinking of doing it the other way round and going bigger, did you have any particular problems size wise with the Arapaho? Do you find the Apache better in this respect?

The Arapaho was indeed a fanatstic M/H and we loved it, it is a tad too large to nip into town though.
A few different reasons why we changed back to a smaller M/H the size definitely was discussed, our first M/H was a Cheyenne which suited us so going back to the same layout was easy, the Apache is so open just one big room which gives that feeling that the M/H is actually bigger than it is, the lounge seat being about 8` shorter than the Arapaho.
We are thinking of driving around Europe and think it will be easier with the smaller M/H, have to say we miss the unlimited amount of storage the Arapaho had.
As we all know it`s a matter of compromise.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The Arapaho was indeed a fanatstic M/H and we loved it, it is a tad too large to nip into town though.
A few different reasons why we changed back to a smaller M/H the size definitely was discussed, our first M/H was a Cheyenne which suited us so going back to the same layout was easy, the Apache is so open just one big room which gives that feeling that the M/H is actually bigger than it is, the lounge seat being about 8` shorter than the Arapaho.
We are thinking of driving around Europe and think it will be easier with the smaller M/H, have to say we miss the unlimited amount of storage the Arapaho had.
As we all know it`s a matter of compromise.

I agree its a fab layout. We have a Scout which is the same.

I can actually walk from the cab, past the dinette, past the bathroom and into the rear lounge without obstruction.

In my old fixed bed Burstner you couldn't really walk anywhere and that drove me potty on a rainy day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back