Autotrail Apache buying advise please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Armytwowheels, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Friends of mine are wanting to buy a moterhome after finally having had enough of tenting. They have seen and fallen in love with an Autotrail Apache 700 with a U shaped lounge and are looking at something circa 2009-2011.

The first one they saw sold before they could get to see it but the dealer still showed them round and they decided this was the motorhome for them. Now Travelworld have one on their books, that is out of the country with the current owner, all my friends have seen so far is photos. Travelworld have told them that they will need to pay a £1,000 deposit in order to secure the van (unseen), as apparently someone else is interested in it. Is this normal practice? It seems a bit odd to me, are these vans so rare or should they walk away?

They want to use the van for skiing trips too, so will have to get it winterised by a workshop that really knows what this means!

2. rangitira

rangitira Funster

NEVER! NEVER EVER! Give over any Dosh till you've seen the thing:Angry:

AND are prepared to take delivery of it RIGHT THEN!!!

IT COULD BE A CON, my advice is, WALK AWAY:Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Armytwowheels

I know is seem obvious to us. I am desperately trying to calm their enthusiasm so they don't jump in with both feet without thinking it through. Are Travelworld good dealers? I know they advertise on here and I haven't read any bad reports about them, but it does seem out of order to ask for a deposit for a used van.

5. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Can't comment on deposit issue, seems strange and against all advice, are they having cash flow problems is first question that springs to my mind?

Ours is 2010. Its a 6 belts six berth. six belts means the TV fitted is next to useless as only one person can see it properly, so be aware.

Payload is not brilliant for 6, we weighed ours just before a long trip with 2 adults, 2 smallish grandchildren, little water but full tank of diesel and were marginally over max weight, no bikes or extras other than second leisure battery and solar panel. we had 2 calor bottles then but now have one alugas so some savings there.

I have slept in bunk, 6 foot and a teensy bit over 16 stone, but would not recommend it. Dinette sleeping is really for 2 small chidren, i cant fit.

Our son has an Alsatian and when camping with him and it comes in it has great difficulty turning around, so be aware with pets.

If on electric hook ups the 240v hob ring is a godsend, but for smaller pans. watch fridge lock, breaks easily.

we needed duvalays for rear mattress as its in lots of pieces to make up the double.

Or problems have related to water connections and window leaks. Also a repair to the Sergeant electrical control unit.

Check the struts on the awning.

i have yet to meet someone whose waste water gauge works.

our spare wheel is really awkward to get in and out, even to check for air pressure.

They can sink when parked on soft ground.

grandkids love it - thank god they go to school sometime.

Also check out the Bailey, 746 model I think.

hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Yes Sir, I have just exactly what you are looking for coming in soon,:Rofl1:

Also followed by--

I have 4 other interested buyers

I have to take your money before I have even found/bought one

I will have you as a guaranteed punter as I have your 1k and sell you any old tripe

No No,
    See it first, then make sure everything works ok,
    Then deal the dealer Down:thumb:

Spend in haste ,regret at leisure

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Dont give any money up front till the van is there... Just sales patter...
    I had a 2005 model for 5 years, my friend has a 2008 and I bought a new one in January 2012 so know the model quite well. The layout really works for us..

There are some issues but there are with almost every van.
    After 2010 model they fitted deeper and bigger rear locker, thats a bonus..
    Ref payload they changed the chassis for 3850 to 4005 and now its 4250 so depending on the year and spec, payload will vary. Mine has 730kg.
    Grumps makes a few good points, Dinette beds are short. Water gauge never acurate.
    Rear lounge bed, we use a large 1" memory foam mattres, get the cushions in the right order and also turn them over and it's ok.. We have spent 3 months away in ours using the bed every night.

When I bought my van, Travelworld had one in stock and REFUSED to give me a price !! Cash buy no part ex and they had the van there !! Told me to try other dealers and then go back to them first.. Yea right... Spent the cash elsewhere....:thumb:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/Carava...van-classifieds/details.aspx?id=647036&page=1

http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_caravans.asp?car=TT8YZ6MSA3I8

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  8. Armytwowheels

Thanks guys. I am passing all your comments on, apart from Hilldwellers:Wink:

9. lorger

lorger Funster

Sandra can't comment on the company but by no means would I part with money until I had seen it in person if someone else is interested in it then as my dad used to say whats for you won't go by you

• Like Like x 1
  10. tonka

They are not rare, just a popular layout and van... A good selling point really...

Ref winterising.. You will need to look into that as the tanks are exposed under the van.. There is some lagging but I dont think it's classed as a winterised van.. Also remember if they have a tank heater fitted ( mine came with it but not specified by me) they use a bit of power so you need good batteries or mains hook up..

11. Xabia

Xabia Funster

If they want a properly winterised van tell them to get a Hymer!:BigGrin:

Mike

12. bailey

bailey

Is this real how gullible are folks dddddoooooonnnnttttt

13. Armytwowheels

:RollEyes: I have told them just that, but they think it's because we have a Hymer. She is a great friend but her heart is ruling her head at the moment. Have been bombarding them with all your comments.....they have gone a bit quite now so I may have over done it!:Doh:

14. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I think your wrong, his is the most valid piont:thumb:

dont forget to tell them to look at the scout models, the older scouts are the same size as the newer apachies, the newer scouts are a bit bigger again, and the arapahos are just BIGGER with the same layout:Eeek:

15. tonka

I had a new scout back in 2001....
    After it got smashed, repaired, not used due to work comitments
    and finally sold (long story )..:Doh:

We decided we wanted another van and looked at the 700.. As they are so similar I asked the salesman "whats the difference between the scout and the 700"
    Straight faced and quite serious just said "10 grand" :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Yes, Scout a good choice. The new ones have a bit more spec but actually less payload..

16. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Some funsters do ski with modded Brit vans, BUT they require more energy to keep them frost free.
    When off grid on an aire you need to be as energy efficient as possible. How much will these modifications cost? Does that workshop REALLY know what it is doing?
    Its less hassle to just buy a winterised van. Rear u-shaped lounges DO exist on winterised Euro vans!:thumb:

17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Slightly bigger lounge in the new Scout compared to the Apache.

I didnt know it had less payload though:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  18. tonka

Yes they have all got a bit longer and I can lie down lengthways in a Scout but to the Apache..
    It's maybe because of the big fridge freezer, extra battery and solar panel that makes it a bit less...

19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Hey, we fell for it, sort of.

Fell in love with this Burstner ( it was standing there and properly priced up ) but rushed a bit and did not haggle because "someone else is coming back tomorrow". Stupid. With hindsight we could have saved a bit. 7 years on it hardly matters.

Get them to read Jim's buyers guide.

20. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

My wife likes the big fridge freezer.

She also likes eating out.

:Doh:

• Like Like x 1