Autotrail anybody removed vertical strip between cab and habitation

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Marcus guv, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Marcus guv

Marcus guv Funster

As post says got damp behind drivers seat on my scout 2005. Right behind were the vertical strip that joins cab to hab is which has a moulding at top.
    Spoke to Autotrail earlier and this is what he said.
    The vertical strip is a two part moulding. In order to remove the white d-mould you need to deform the capping using a mallet. This will then release itself from the base profile. This part cannot be re-used so a replacement would need to be purchased from our parts department. The carrier profile will then be revealed which is simply screwed in place. This can be cleaned and re fitted. Originally it would have been fitted using a non-setting bedding sealant. Today we use an MS adhesive similar to Sikaflex. To refit the d-mould you need to clip one edge on first then carefully tap the piece in place using a rubber mallet and block to spread the force. Any slight gaps should then be sealed.
    You cannot reply to this email direct so was just wondering if anyone has experience removing the above to reseal?
    2 part moulding I'm assuming one on inside behind wall boards and one on outside?? Mallet for the moulding doesn't sound great

2. andy63

andy63 Funster

Hi.. I'm not sure I can help but I have removed the plastic trim between the cab and hab area on an autotrail apache. (@irnbru may be able to help if its the same thing you are on about )to run wires.. Some small screws removed and yes it might have needed a bit bending to get it snapped in at top but can't remember it been that difficult. .
    A picture of what you are talking about might help... worth signing up as a full member for all the useful advice alone
    Ta andy..

3. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Your having a laugh. I leave all my tech stuff to @andy63, @rupert and @Terry.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Marcus guv

Marcus guv Funster

Lol OK @irnbru. Paid up member now (y)(y) will try get some pics of what I'm on about.

• Like Like x 4
  5. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Welcome to the fun (y):)

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if as i presume you are talking about the external joining strip, then it i a 2 part cover. the aluminium cover is bonded and screwed to the wall of the van, which provides the waterproofing. the aluminium part has a slot in to accept the plastic moulding. as with all plastics, the cover strip goes brittle over years in the sun. so removing it will distort and damage it and maybe it will disintegrate
    sourcing the replacement before you start work is the key

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

T G F T!!!!!:p

8. Marcus guv

Marcus guv Funster

IMAG0833.jpg IMAG0834.jpg right here's the offending items the vertical strip and moulding with badge at top

9. f6c

f6c Funster

Snap identical problem on my 2005 AT. ill follow this with intrest

• Like Like x 1
  10. Marcus guv

Marcus guv Funster

@f6c waiting for the brains to help me out before I rip it apart. Don't own a Valkyrie do you?

11. f6c

f6c Funster

Used to Marcus & GL1100 DXB:whistle:

12. Marcus guv

Marcus guv Funster

Nice bike my mate has owned one for about 15 years. I got a Harley road king for my sins.

13. Marcus guv

Marcus guv Funster

Where is yours leaking f6c?

14. f6c

f6c Funster

15. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

Are you sure you need to remove that strip? I had damp in the bottom of the wall behind the drivers seat and I had the strip oversealed. Also had the grey trim at the bottom on the outside taken off and all the crap AT handiwork repaired & resealed. Time will tell!

16. Marcus guv

Marcus guv Funster

How did you overseas it did you use silkaflex?

17. seanoo

seanoo Funster

It's an ally profile over the wAterproof cover strip. I managed to get the outer bit off but it was totally ruined. The bit underneath was held in place by non setting mastic and crappy screws that had all come away from the timber inside. I made my own cover strip from 20 MM. flat aluminium strip and sealed it with sikaflex and stainless 30 mm screws .then bought a new length of the White cover strip and then bonded this over the flat aluminium. cleaned off the excess and it looks good as new and a lot more watertight than the original. its been on for 2 years now and hasnt moved.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Marcus guv

Marcus guv Funster

Didnt take any pics did you @seanoo sounds like a good idea to me

19. seanoo

seanoo Funster

I can't remember if I took any pics of the ally strip I made but it was pretty straight forward . After taking off all the metal you can see that they have just lapped the plastic rounded moulding over the aluminium side. It took a while but I picked out all the putty from under the lap. Cleaned it all with white spirit and then filled the gap with sikaflex. I had the flat strip that I made ready to screw into place so it held it all nicely. I drilled the flat strip every 200 MM and countersunk the holes to keep the screwheads down. I let that cure for 48 hours then cut my new cover strip to length with the mitre at the bottom then filled the back of it with sikaflex and pressed it over the other bit. Make sure you put enough sealant so it squeezes out nicely from both sides. I cleaned the excess off with some card board then finished it off with a cloth and white spirit . I can post up a photo of my finished job tomorrow. Hope this helps

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Marcus guv

Marcus guv Funster

@seanoo top man pics would be great. Will take some measurements get some flat bar and cover strip. Then pray for some good weather or a big garage and strip it down. Did you go wider on the cover strip? Did you take that d shaped moulding off at top of strip? Thanks for help this has been cooking my head for a while now. Weather hasn't helped either.