Autotrail - any good? (2 Viewers)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Have a Tracker EKS SE 2010 and going to get another at NEC in October when the 2014 one will be out.. No huge differences, but this will be our last van so want a new one.. and it will have cantilever skirt storage locker at the R.H.R corner.. Very happy indeed with Autotrail ...
..Mitch.. :thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I think the Autotrails look really nice with some good layouts, but not any good for your skiing excursions Tony.:Eeek:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Very interesting thread, we are on our way south now to look at a Dakota. I was wondering if anyone could answer a query on "full cab blinds".

This will be our sole vehicle and will be used all year round, I believe the insulation in the habitation area is excellent, but have been told that the only form of insulation in the cab area, seems to be black-out blinds.
Do these provide proper insulation to stop heat loss from the habitation area? Or would we still need to think about buying external thermal blind?
Many thanks in advance, Bill

The blinds in the cab are more for privacy and keeping the light out, they have almost zero insulation properties.

For proper insulation you will need external thermal covers, Silver Screen or Tayler Made are the two market leaders.

I bought ours from eBay for £65, just the job...

::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I would get an external blind.

Our cab blinds don't insulate at all I don't think.

In the winter I might get one of those things that cover the engine part of the cab as well because the Ducato does seem a bit draughty in the cab area.

Turn your heater to recirc. to reduce cold air intake. Cello tape over the vent grilles, in the trailing edge of front doors. There's a non return vent hole, located near the fuel input but underneath, of course.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Also, Autotrail designs are good if you want somewhere decent to lounge, like the benefit of a fully serviced kitchen and not to be forced to climb a ladder to bed, unless you get a high-line. They are typical Brit vans built for the British climate. You takes your choice.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Also, Autotrail designs are good if you want somewhere decent to lounge, like the benefit of a fully serviced kitchen and not to be forced to climb a ladder to bed, unless you get a high-line. They are typical Brit vans built for the British climate. You takes your choice.

Ours is a high line. It's a fair climb.

My son loves it up there:thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Check very, very carefully the claim and requirements for the 10 year body guarantee.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Dakota - Delaminating floor

We have come down south to look at a Dakota.........love the van, however, we have noticed that the kitchen floor area appears to be slightly springy and we are concerned that there is a de-lamination problem:Sad:

We have spoken to the dealer and said that as it stands, we would not be interested in taking it any further. They had reserved the van for us, pending us coming down from Scotland and looking over it all, plus test drive etc. We've done a lot of searching on forums etc and this delamination of the kitchen floor area appears to have cropped up before on the 2007 model.
The dealer said he would would strap the floor and inject the affected area, (it is only the area around the sink and cooker) all the other floor areas in the van are fine.
Has anybody had experience of this in their Autotrail?
We are down for a week or so and are going back to see it again tomorrow.
Would appreciate any info "good or bad", many thanks!

Bill

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Auto-Trail - any good?

I would walk away, you would be buying trouble. At least you were on the ball to spot the delamination. I know of owners that have had to have their floors resealed over and over again. It's not just Auto-trail it can be in any motorhome. The only safe bet is a van conversion. I've been at shows and noticed delamination in motorhomes less than 2 years old. There is nothing wrong going along with a good damp meter when you are looking for a motorhome and look in particular around the wheel arch areas first followed by the area towards the rear floor where road water is thrown up in wet weather.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Auto-Trail - any good?

I was at a large dealer in Cheshire having a look round, they had a Cheyenne 740s on show, the off side rear locker area was coming away from the side wall, obviously riddled with damp and it was on a Merc 2008. It certainly wasn't doing their reputation any favours or Auto-Trails as a manufacturer. They also had a 2007 Dakota on show but I didn't look closely at it to form an opinion.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Who brought this one back from the dead??????:Eeek:

Tony and Jackie were looking at new motorhomes back in 2011!

I'm sure they have decided on, and bought one, since then!:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back