Autotrail - any good?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jaygee, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Been looking at new motorhomes and quite like the layout of some of the Autotrails.
    Always thought britisj built vans were second to German etc..( we havea hymer and can't fault it other than it's getting old and we want a fixed bed!)
    What's the general opinion of these?

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Always have liked AutoTrails, had that nice feeling when I went in one, like them so much we are now the Franchised Dealer for Sussex and Kent for new ones.

We are having an open weekend October 31st with some new Euro 5 vans on display plus Pilote, come along and have a look.

Peter

3. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Autotrail Arapaho

Hi we have an Autotrail Arapaho, described by Autotrail as their Flagship motorhome, well we would say that the quality of the finished product leaves a lot to be desired.
    Autotrail quality control missed at least 25 faults, rather obvious ones like the bathroom door not fitting the door frame, infact the door catch barely touched the jam (a 12mm gap) so the door could swing straight through.

Looking down at the floor behind the drivers seat showed daylight coming from a gap were the living accommodation joined the cab.
    Doesn`t say much for the motorhomes insulation.

The tail light fittings fell out whilst travelling, the fixing holes were just too big so the screws had no chance of holding.

The accommodation step is right in front of the rear wheels, so all the road spray/mud lands on top of the step, poor design there really should be a splash guard.

The heating pipes travelling all around the van so that by the time the blown air got to the bathroom it is cold even on the fires highest setting, ther heating system just isn`t powerful enough to heat a motorhome this size.
    Poor when you consider the German motorhomes have the wet system that heats the living accommodation whilst travelling.

The list goes on hence, considering the cost of an Autotrail from new we wouldn`t buy another one.

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Not disagreeing with you but all those could have been sorted with a good PDI before handover.

From what I have gathered AutoTrail are very conscious of quality control at dealers, both Glenn and Ian from the workshop have been to their factory for training and familiarsation courses and so has Mark in Sales.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. aba

aba

i looked at autotrail before settling on my dethleffs
    similar layouts / both with 3 litre fiat engine
    build quality just wasn't the same.
    looked at a couple of second hand autotrails and the one that made the decision for me was the 07 plate scout at just 18 months old the floor in the hab door way was very spongey as was the floor in the rear u shaped lounge.
    as we were looking at a van to fulltime in.
    at 18 months old and a delaminating floor just put me off.
    the dethleffs we got has a double floor with all the water tanks etc stored between the 2 floors and heated and the main floor is 3/4 inch plywood so no fear of that delaminating to quickly.

it may just have been an abused van but it certainly put me off.

6. Gran & Rog

Gran & Rog Funster

we had several Auto Trails and liked them all

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I've had a couple of Autotrails. loved em. Had an Arapaho too, the build quality was fine. You can get similar German models but at the time we bought they were much more expensive and the extra 20k is a lot to pay for wet heating.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry Read Only Funster

We have had an autotrail for 15 months now, no problems and are very happy with everything about it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

We looked at a lot of motorhomes before we bought an autotrail.

Not perfect....some bits of bad design.but overall we still like it .

Walking around the motorhome show at shepton mallet a couple of weeks ago
    made us feel we made the right decision..didnt see anything we liked more.
    A better finish we thought than most of the uk based brands.

Still wouldnt buy a new one though...let someone else sort out the main problems...get one a couple of years old with a low milage...oh and get a 3 litre auto....brilliant:Smile:

barry

• Like Like x 2
  10. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Depends what you want. We have seriously looked at Autotrails every time we have bought, but always finished up choosing something else (usually dearer!).

They tend to be heavy - I try to keep my mgw to 3500. They, in my view, often have design flaws. eg waste water pipes with taps at the end, perfect for freezing up when its -10! We looked at one with a french style fixed bed. The bed lifted up but because of the boiler at the front, from inside it was all but impossible to get to the (limited) staorage space. Recently looked at one with a garage. The loo empied by removing the tank sideways into the garage area, and then out. I have a bad back, not a chance with that arrangement! Also it meant that a large amount of garage space had to be clear for the loo to be slid into. Most of them also do not have belted seats, we think this is essential. I could go on!

But they are very plush, always have big ovens and microwaves. But not necessarily big fridges , water tanks or frost protection for the tanks/pipes..

Cannot really comment on the quality - by which I mean how well it is built not how plush it is.

It is, of course, a personal view and some people sware by them.

But ask yourself this. When driving on the continent, how many foreign registered autotrails (or for that matter most other british vans) do you see?. And then ask how many british registered continental vans do you see in Britian?

11. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

:thumb:
    Autotrail Miami 740s Automatic Motorhome 2007

:thumb:

12. maxsdad

maxsdad Funster

bought our autotrail cherokee new in march, had half dinette layout which gives two rear seat belts overhall very impressed with everything only fault so far is radio which packed up on first trip but replaced by dealer no quibble still quite poor reception on the move though

13. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

14. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Our reception is not good, but is actually no worse than our car which has those new in rear window things. seems the old aerial was the best. I have not had the time to do any research on the best position for our aerial, where it is now and where it ideally should be - can anyone help please?

15. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Weve had our scout for three seasons now, we have had a few minor nigels but on the whole its well built, we bought it because the layout suited us, Double dinnette with extra seatbelts up front and u shaped rear lounge. We could not find this layout in a eroupean built van. We do not use the van in extream winter as we are still working and at that time of year theres not much spare time and much shorter days.

So basicly it depends on whats good for you, I know Im happy with mine I just wish Id bought the same layout but bigger arapaho, but I stiick with this one for a good while

16. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

When posting on Forums looking for opinions then that is exactly what you will get. Some for and some against. At the end of the day I am not too sure that you will find an answer.

There are pros and cons in everything one buys, and in all price ranges, Sometimes a rogue slips through and does a lot of damage to a reputation.

My belief is that unless there are numerous consistent complaints about a particular aspect of something (car/motorhome etc etc) then at the end of the day choice will come down to personal preference every time. You pays your money and as long as you stay away from what I believe to be the increasing requirement for a "Rolls Royce" at a "Mini" price and"if a deal looks too good to be true " you will get what you pay for.

Yes you may get a bummer, but there is a lot of consumer legislation and contract law on your side to protect you (even in private sales).

Use your own judgement, buy what you like, and do not agonise over the decision. Things can always be changed if you get it wrong.

I have an Auto Trail, bought second hand, and no complaints, but others have had then and have complaints,

Ce la vie

Stuart

• Like Like x 3
  17. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

One point no one has mentioned..the current autotrails look so good....from the outside.easpecially with the Fiat nose.

The exterior design of some motorhomes is apalling...I think the trainlike Burstners
    are brilliant........but some of the coloured graphics are obviously created
    by inhouse "designers".

I did a lot of designwork ( as a consultant ) for Landrover and I noticed that the inhouse designers who came up with the useless decal designs used to wear grey shoes.........I rest my case.

barry

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. billkce

billkce Funster

Had an 02 Dakota with a 2.2 Merc engine for 30 months now & no complaints. 28000 miles & goes like sh*t off a shovel. Everything works & was brilliant value for money. :BigGrin:

She's now sitting in the sun in Port Grimaud. :Cool::Cool::Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. thames airborne

thames airborne Read Only Funster

Very nice part of the world.

20. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

I bought an autotrail 2yrs old from a/trail dealer collected it January this year,against my wifes advice.I wont go into this any further at the moment .But we are collecting a Rapido this w/end hopefully.If you want to pm me i can give you more info.