Autoroute 2010

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Phil, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Phil

Phil Read Only Funster

Microsoft have announced that the new version of Autoroute will be available from November 17th 2009.

Phil.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That's going to be "interesting".

I believe it's the only M$ program that has not been bloated to death over the years and offers just the right ease of use and functionality.

3. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

I have used AR since it first came out but had to switch to MS Map Point last year as there were no AR upgrades, it will be interesting to see how good the new version is.

4. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

It looks like they will be upgrading MS Map Point as well

5. Phil

Phil Read Only Funster

I have just checked with Amazon to see if they are going to get it. They say it's not on the books ( forgive the pun ) yet but to keep checking their website for it.

Phil.

6. Marvin Hlavac

Marvin Hlavac Read Only Funster

[​IMG]

Phil, I also checked Amazon.co.uk a couple of days ago, but AutoRoute 2010 was still not offered for pre-order. There were older versions of AutoRoute there, but not 2010. But it is coming despite the fact that Microsoft has skipped a couple of version years (no AR 2008, no AR 2009). The new Microsoft AutoRoute 2010 will have a slightly wider map coverage of Europe, 43 countries in the upcoming version 2010 versus 36 countries in the old AutoRoute 2007. There have been several software improvements, especially in the GPS functionality. There will also be a free 60-day trial version offered.

:thumb:

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We use AR with a GPS, it's the business for route planning and enroute that red circle showing you where you are is very comforting:Smile:

I normally plot the route from AR into my TomTom, Then sian follows our progress using AR and its big picture. Will definitely buy this new version:Smile:

8. ian81

ian81 Read Only Funster

Mappoint is available as a download and free 60 day trial and seems to offer little extra benefit to old version of Autoroute -except better eastern Europe coverage.

Interesting to note though that you can copy the new map data into your existing copy of Aroute -make sure you backup the old data file and you will need to experiment as a straight copy of all the may not work.

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Done that and it works fine :thumb:

10. Marvin Hlavac

Microsoft AutoRoute 2010

The software is now out, a bit ahead of schedule. :)

Review & free trial download: Microsoft AutoRoute 2010

Enjoy!

11. bushman51

bushman51 Read Only Funster

And it's also available on torrent servers - for free, of course! :BigGrin:

12. hilldweller

Not free but stolen.

13. Marvin Hlavac

Microsoft AutoRoute

Very true. If you care about the future development of any software, buy it.

By the way, the good guys working on AutoRoute just launched a blog focused on nothing else but AutoRoute:

Microsoft AutoRoute Team Blog

:thumb:

14. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

ok looks cool-looks like what we want-now point me at a post that tells me what else I'd need and how to use it :Laughing:
    I currently use navman N60i

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  15. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi, Looks like Amazon are taking orders for shipping on the 11th Dec 2009

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Autoroute-Europe-2010-DVD/dp/B002SPJE8O]Microsoft Autoroute Europe 2010 (PC DVD): Amazon.co.uk: Software[/ame]

16. hilldweller

I wonder if there is one little gotcha in V10. Activation.

I have 2007 on this PC and laptop. Has to be that way and it's acceptable use for most software.

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Great, but not on Mac

I must admit, this is one piece of Microsoft software that I really really like but sadly cannot run on PPC Mac.. :Sad:

I believe it can run on the Intel Mac using bootcamp, can anyone confirm ?

18. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi, Brian

We have been using Autoroute with GPS on our laptop as our sat nav for the last 4 years and find it invaluable.

I even upgraded to MapPoint Europe 2009 to get the later maps but its really not the same in my opinion, its more Business orientated I find, I'm sure it can do probably a 100 times more than Autoroute but as I have said its more focused on Businesses to be able to monitor there resources etc. I do know that you can migrate the later maps from MapPoint into Autoroute which helps.

I have downloaded a trial copy of 2010 from Microsoft and I must admit it doesn't feel a lot different than 2007 which in my opinion is a good thing, I think the maps are similar to MapPoint 2009 and it has the automatic rerouting that some people think was lacking in 2007,

However having used MapPoint 2009's automatic re-routing I can tell you we have turned it off on a number occasions, as when a new road has been built along side of an existing road perhaps 50 yd over to one side the auto re-routing can have a problem, albeit they may have fixed it in 2010, if they haven't then reverting back to just pressing the F4 key is in my opinion the way to go.

Hope that helps

19. hilldweller

You're preaching to the converted here. Possibly M$ finest program because they never bloated it.

I've never used it on the road because of laptop size. I've even considered building a dedicated PC but never got round to it. A cheap small tablet PC would be the way -- now I'll have to stop my fingers typing ebay.co.uk.

20. Phil

Phil Read Only Funster

I downloaded the 60 day trial version on the 4th November and have been using it every day since then for planning my winter tour of Spain and Portugal.

It is very similar to AR 2007, there are minor improvements, and the speed is much improved. The main advantage, of course, is that there are all the updated maps and more detail for the Eastern European countries.

It works very well with the gps receiver that I bought for use with AR 2007 and makes the laptop into, IMO, a very superior sat nav.

Bottom line, I like it and it is probably the best software ever marketed by Microsoft.

Phil.