Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Hi everyone, you are such a great gang out there.Every time I ask a question you're all there. So next question is.
I'm wanting to change my CI for one with a fixed bed, I think I've found one but its an automatic, any good? pros and cons please x:thanks2:

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
I had a CI Cipro 55 on a Merc Sprinter chassis with the Merc Sprintshift autobox and it was lovely to drive. The only "con" that comes to mind is the fuel consumption, I felt it was a trifle thirsty.

I changed it because I had had issues with the CI part of the van and not because of the base vehicle.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi everyone, you are such a great gang out there.Every time I ask a question you're all there. So next question is.
I'm wanting to change my CI for one with a fixed bed, I think I've found one but its an automatic, any good? pros and cons please x:thanks2:
It depends on the exact model. What is the base vehicle and engine?

I prefer manuals because of economy, but would (and did) go for an automatic because that is what it had. There are certain advantages, it is much more leisurely and you don't care about performance in a motorhome, only about not smashing the crockery.

However, advice should be based on the particular drivetrain you are considering. It might be a semi-automatic (robotised manual) or a particularly good or bad slushbox.

Upvote 0

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I drive an auto Fiat. Before that an auto Mistubishi base, before that an Auto Ford. I have wobbly knees and need to be able to brake with my left foot in heavy traffic. Also, the auto box is also much less work and driving is less tiring.

However, whilst the Ford was rear-wheel drive, and the Mitsubishi 4-wheel drive, the Fiat is front wheel drive and likes to dig itself into wet grass. Ok all Fiats do. It peels the grass off the soil like skin off a rice pudding, and digs in. It's very difficult to apply the right amount of power with an auto. It does not lend itself to finesse. Mine doesn't have any traction control or other gadgets. Possibly such devices might help a bit. I am sceptical.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Mine is fitted with a "Comformatic".... Fully Auto or Manual selection...

After nearly 4 K miles this winter I did a trial using the fully Auto mode... and it made the difference of approx 4 - 5 miles less to the gallon .. :Sad:

So other than that bit for a short while I used the manual side... just meant I had to flick the lever forwards and back... no clutch so no hardship.... but better MPH.. :thumb:

Upvote 0

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Weve had both Merc based and fiat based autos and been all over Europe and Morocco in them. What exactly are you considering?

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I've had a Renault and now have a Ford automatic both really good to drive not much difference in fuel consumption :Smile:
Just done a trip over to Belgium and averaged about 28 mpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
My Renault master with the robotised Auto/ manual is slightly more economical in the auto position, this I put down to the early change up to a higher gear than I would normally do it if it was in manual,
These gearboxes are not true automatics in the sense they don't have a torque converter so don't have any slippage in the lower gears,
So though they change gear for you they are really a manual gearbox and should be near identical as far as fuel consumption is concerned,

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Automatic

Didn't really want an auto but to avoid a long factory build bought the Auto that was in stock. It takes more than a test drive to 'like' the Fiat Auto change. There is a certain knack to getting the box to change earlier by using the accelerator pedal which only comes with experience. You can't rush the Gear changing so you have to drive smoothly and 'calmly' not a bad thing, you're on holiday after all. Would not go back to a manual.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Auto or naughto

We have only had manual motorhomes and always managed well, but last year when we changed our car, we bought an auto Merc and as I hadn't owned an auto for thirty five years (had a 3.3l vauxhall Viscount followed by a 3l Capri Ghia) I was amazed by the leap in refinement. Dead easy to drive and 50 plus mpg.

When we come to swap our current van I will definitely buy an auto no question. The advantages (e.g. easy control and start at uphill junctions and lights to mention but one) far outweigh the small loss in mpg. And if I can stretch to a Merc based Hymer, so much the better.

So don't be put off.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Udo is an automatic.

Sure, he's slower than his manual counterpart as these old Merc 'boxes love to shift into 2nd as soon as they're rolling. But his shifts are beattifully slurred and there's never any missing gears - something I managed to do a little with the 410 manual I drove last year.

Two of my cars are auto as well.

I find the more relaxed gait of an auto suits the fuss-free atmosphere of motorhome travelling and ownership.

Upvote 0

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I have the 3 litre fiat comfortmatic...............brilliant.

I have a Toyota auto.and a VW DSG auto...........all enjoyable.
All over ridable if you ever need to select a gear.................which is a rarity.

barry:Smile:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I have the 7 speed "dual gearbox type" auto on my VW T5 and is changes gear like a dream with no delay at all. It's superb to drive.

On gearbox has gears 1, 3, 5 and 7 and the other has gears 2, 4, 6 and reverse. So when you start off and accelerate away gears one are two are pre-selected in the two gearboxes and the clutch engages gear one. When gear two is required the clutch plates only have to move a minute distance so there is no lag. Once gear two is selected the first gearbox pre-selects gear three ready for use. Obviously when decelerating the down gears are pre-selected in the unused gear box.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I've personally got a manual and love it, for me it's part of driving :)

Fully understand why people go for autos, be it health reasons with knees etc or the ease of driving, but the only true way to find out is to test both out. Find the model you like (sounds so easy when you type it down) and try to see if you can test it. As mentioned previously, you'll not get the true feeling of an auto, until you've clocked some miles up in one, but at least you'll get the basic feel of it :)

Not 100% sure, but believe there's a premium to pay if you do opt for an auto.

Expensive mistake if you get it wrong and don't like it :)

Good luck with the search and keep us posted :)

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I had the opportunity to drive the new Mercedes 7 speed auto a few weeks ago. What a drive, so smooth and so expensive, but if I had the money it would be the one for me. The salesman told me Merc were claiming 30mpg plus on a 3880kg chassis. Still can't afford it but I can dream.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The 7 speed Merc is a great gearbox - a really great drive and my car gives me over 50 mpg on the trip computer. Love it. Sadly the van is a manual.....:(

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back