Automatics? Are Autochange, Ok Or Just A Compromise For A Real One. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have started to think about an automatic van as the last trips have been killing my left leg in heavy traffic. The auto change types on Seval vans seem to work but I think they may just be a bit heavy on clutches, A real automatic box as the MB have would bee better but really expensive. Am I justified in worrying about the auto change ones? I have never tried one as it would be a hell of a neck to ask a testdrive just to find out. Do you that have one actually like them or are there downfall to the system, likely to cost a lot in the future.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Semi-automatic - Comfortmatic Gearbox - couldn't (wouldn't want to) do without it.
Can be used as fully automatic or knocked into manual for eg delicate manouvering around a campground.

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've got to say I had a comfortmatic and didn't like it at all. Awful lag in low gears so much so that I drove if in manual mode about town. The advantage to you, of course, is even in manual there is no clutch to worry about but I think it is essential that you try one. I think I may have been spoilt because I came from a VW DSG. Now driving a manual Fiat which I much prefer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I got a test drive before buying ours, but I sort of knew what to expect and it was fine. If you are new to the idea there may be a learning curve which could put you off but I strongly suggest sticking with the concept!

Last month we sat at Santander waiting to board while lot of trucks disembarked. The police pulled over every big truck just next to us and went through their paperwork. When finished we watched each truck drive away, going up through the gears and in nearly every one the drivers' hands were both on the steering wheel. They were almost all automated gearboxes, which is what you are talking about. The technology is well proven and I suspect they use less clutches than manuals as the electronics, on our comfortmatic at least, produce silk smooth changes, with the exception of second to first which can be jerky sometimes, but it doesn't need to do this often and with a bit of experience you will learn when to knock it into manual and anticipate this awkward change.

First to second is slow but this is easy to anticipate and it makes you drive more safely, especially when pulling out at junctions. :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Have a look at the auto clutch, I had one fitted and it worked really well.... And for about £1500 it means you keep your van..

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Picked up a new Carthago on Thursday which is my first experience of a comfortmatic box. I normally drive a Range Rover which has a lovely smooth automatic change. The comfortmatic was not my original choice but now I've driven it for a couple of days it's fine. There is a lag as it changes gear but I quickly got used to it and after only a couple of days I'm glad I ended up with it. Next time it will definitely be on the must have list of options.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sooty 10

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nelson, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
c Class
Exp
Since 1999.
I had an Auto Clutch fitted, took a bit of getting used to but never think about it now. Not good in reverse but I guess you could use your left foot for that. They can be turned on or off with a button on dash board.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We have the sprintshift and love it to bits, easy relaxed driving even up mountains and around numberous hairpin bends. A must have for future vans.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back