Automatic versus Manual gearboxes?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Johns_Cross_Motorhomes, Sep 3, 2011.

?

Your preference

1. Yes I would have an auto

65.4%
  2. No I want a manual

19.8%
  3. Not bothered

4.9%
  4. Prefer a manual but would have auto if available

9.9%
  1. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

What are your preferences, would you buy an auto or not? assuming noo price difference.

Peter

2. wasp

wasp Funster

I prefer auto box then SWMBO would drive it

3. kickstart

kickstart Funster

Well Peter, I drive over 40,000 miles a year in my job as a rep in a manual car,but when we go off in the motorhome I'm so pleased we chose an auto.

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

RV was auto , present car Honda CRV is also auto .. love them.. :thumb:

in saying that, I would buy a manual if it was the van I wanted ... so not a deal breaker

• Like Like x 1
  5. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Manual..... then I am in control:thumb:.........(I have had many autos in my past about 8 to 10 on the larger cars we have owned... 2800cc to 3500cc, and a nice drive they were ) but on the Motorhome I prefer MANUAL..a friend of mine has the Renault auto box a Burstner Dolphine 7m motorhome couple of years old.....WELL if you could see his performance every time he is trying to get on the blocks/wedge's :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: No way would I have Auto

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

That's a hard one. When I am driving long distances auto would be nice but the rest of the time manual wins..... I had auto cars for my distance driving but manual for my little sports cars. Really hard choice.....

7. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Fuel economy wise, I'd probably favour a manual, BUT, like everything else, it depends how the box performs. Ive just finished driving a Scania HGV with autobox, nice drive, matched the speed and power request's nicely, not sudden scares or show offs. A Volvo auto i drove earlier in the year, was a nighmare on r-abouts, it'd go into first, then.......slump.........THEN pick up second, just as a car had assumed i was letting it in front of me:Eeek:...scary.
    If i am doing a lot of hill driving, then i'll have manual thanks, dont want it changing up and down as the hills level for a bit, then go steep again,....so I suppose, on balance, it'd be a manual for me.

8. tofo

tofo Funster

Wish i had of bought an auto couldnt find one
    Bought eeyore then saw loads :Doh::Doh:

Looked at L reg hymer on a mercedes auto
    Mrs t wouldnt have left hand drive

It had been butcherd though
    speakers amps and bits and bobs

This one will do now :thumb:

9. welshbois

welshbois Read Only Funster

Automatics all the way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Had Auto work Vans when working in Sydney City because of the traffic, BUT, M/h ? I like to "drive":thumb:

11. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I would advise anyone to try a comfortmatic fiat motorhome before deciding you will be very surprised just how well they drive.I payed a lot more for mine and up to now am happy

12. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Agree.I have the 3 litre and its just fabulous. Waited a while to find an auto
    and wouldnt have anything else. If you ever need to select a gear ,ost are "tipronic" these days allowing you to drive in a manual mode.

Have this on my cars too.....never use it .

The fiat is superb to drive.

barry

13. maz

maz Funster

Before I bought The Beastie I was quite keen on an automatic gearbox as I thought it would be one less thing to deal with while trying to get used to driving a 'small bus' instead of a Honda Jazz. But now I'm quite happy that it's manual - like knowing that I decide which gear we're going to be in and when. :BigGrin:

14. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Rubbish.. getting on the blocks is easy

I have a winnebago 24'9" long hooked to a 20' James May car transporter.. so overall 45' long. I am automatic with 5 speed box. I go up and down hill including the French mountains. I regularly climb on to the Fiama ramps .... Sue ..SWMBO uses the hand held CB and a whistle and that is all I need.. I climb the ramps. She puts a commercial wheel chock behind the front wheel or rear dependant on which ramps I have climbed. Hand brake on (Footbrake on a yank) then place in park (gear) and there I stay until I am moving off... I am just under 7.5 tons all up with the car on the trailer. It comes down to driving skill not the automatic gearbox.

I have had automatics for years.. even the Smart is a triptronic, the Hyundia (which we tow) is automatic. So easy to drive... especially if you use cruise control, let the gear box do the work.

Bob:Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  15. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I have had numerous automatics, and never once did i feel i wasn't in control. I fail to see what is hard about climbing onto ramps/wedges with an automatic.
    When power steering first came out, people would say, "i don't want it cos you can't feel the ice"! What a load of $hite!
    Same with auto, people who don't know how to drive them say they prefer manual.

Give me automatics everytime.

Craig

• Like Like x 2
  16. suenmike

suenmike Funster

Automatic with cruse control, you can't beat it.:Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  17. keith

keith Funster

Given a choice auto every time, with cruise control. If you feel you are not in control you have not mastered the art of driving an auto.

My van is manual my car auto, that's why I stall the van van when I stop. :Rofl1:

So far the vote shows a big yes for auto, so why are most cars in the UK manual?
    I recon it's down to the high cost to buy it on a new vehicle.

• Like Like x 2
  18. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

A man i used to work with would never have an automatic. And he was atrocious at driving a manual, wrong gear all the time, never bothered with 5th (top) gear, stalling constantly. If ever anyone should have an automatic it was him. But no, he liked changing gear. Pity he couldn't do it properly.

Craig

Craig

19. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Given the choice auto every time, cars have been auto for years even for cabbing. Would prefer old auto not electronic version, and cruise control.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I have voted Auto but mine is a sprintshift which is really a manual with hydraulic changing, best of both worlds really a supurb drive.

• Like Like x 1