Automatic or manual

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Qzx, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Qzx

Qzx Read Only Funster

Have never driven an automatic before but am going to look at an automatic auto trail Navajo, just wondered what other people's experiences of driving an automatic are and what any negatives or positives are. Thanks.

2. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave Funster

No negatives, only a much more relaxing and less stressful drive. (IMO)

Dave

• Like Like x 4
  3. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

We've had three vans, all manual, but a couple of years ago when we last changed our car, we bought an automatic diesel, 2ltr. I hadn't owned an automatic car since 1980 when I had a 3 litre Capri which drank petrol at an alarming rate (around 18-20mpg). The car we have changed my mind about autos. Mpg over 50 and so easy to drive. So when we do change this vanit will be for one with an automatic box, no question.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Same as above if we were to change MH it would be automatic this time no question.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ojibway

ojibway Funster

I had a MH on a sprinter 316 manual and loved it.
    I now have a MH sprinter 316 automatic. It's ok but I preferred the manual

• Like Like x 2
  6. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Automatic, no question.

Positives

Relaxing, comfortable, hassle-free, stress-free, less tiring. So much easier on hilly going (Highlands), navigating through fiddly unknown town centres, and in stop-start traffic.
    We have Comfortmatic which, if you want to use it this way, can easily be knocked up or down a gear, tipped into manual when you want to stay in (eg) first gear around campsites, or into the "UP" function which means it holds down a gear on steep upward hills.

Negatives

Not found any yet!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Terry

Terry Funster

Although every vehicle I presently have is manual I would swap them all for auto's in a flash-does not bother me which I drive but guess what camp I would go for ;):)
    terry

• Like Like x 3
  8. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

If you can find a decent Autobox go fr it (y)

• Like Like x 2
  9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Both cars are Automatic one proper torque converter one robotised manual with auto clutch, in a motorhome I would only have a full manual or proper torque converter auto.

Martin

• Like Like x 3
  10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

We only have autos, cars and MH's, total coverts and very pleased with all, would not buy a manual unless very special

Years ago you really needed a bigger engine for an auto to work properly, I think that still applies possibly more so for MHs, so IMO over 2500cc only :)

For all the positive comments here, when you search online as soon as you select auto only the choice plummets still appears that most built are manuals by some proportion (y) enjoy your search :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Steve can only drive automatics ( no left leg). But they are great. Much more relaxing to drive, especially in towns and heavy traffic. I do enjoy the occasional foray into manuals ( because I can) but if on my own, I would still look at automatics.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

tuck your left leg out of the way just drive with the right and you will have no problems. I have a merc sprinter based 416 with the sprintshift gearbox and love it to bits. Landrover is manual, but the van is so relaxing to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dave K

Dave K Funster

I have a VW T4 automatic that we use as a daily drive, fantastic van but the autos are not sought after anywhere near as much as the manuals. My experience is that mpg is not as good as a manual, it revs higher before it changes gear, but apart from that it's great for driving around town, saves all the constant gear changing, but on the motorway I would sooner have a manual, the response when you put your foot down is not as quick as changing down a gear when going past another vehicle. I did a fair bit of research before I bought our vw and many autos have died going around hilly areas because of the constant gear changing, it's also important to change the gearbox oil at regular intervals and fit a cooler if you're thinking of towing. I thought I'd just mention these points as you don't mention the age of the vehicle, obviously if it's brand new you won't have the same concerns as if you were buying second hand
    Good luck
    (y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Qzx

Qzx Read Only Funster

The motorhome we are looking at is two years old.

15. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

To be fair, that must be the worst auto box ever produced by any manufacturer in recent years. :D:( The T4 manual is streets better - I had cause to drive both a few years ago, sometimes on the same day. I rather like automatics in general, but I really didn't like that one.

The current VW DSG auto is a very different animal, as are the robotised manual boxes fitted to many modern vans. There are now three distinct gearbox types - traditional manual, traditional torque converter autos & then the various varieties of automatic clutch robotised manuals, of which the Fiat Comfortmatic is the commonest among motorhomes.

Each type require a slightly different driving style to get the best out of them. If you change from one to another, you have to be prepared to learn how best to drive it, otherwise you are probably better to stick to what you are used to.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Antonio

Antonio Funster

My old Hymer is auto, easy to drive. I do carry a good set of jump leads though, just in case :)

17. Triple7

Triple7 Funster

Does anybody have any experience of the Merc semi-auto (2001)? I drove one the other day(deposit placed)... it was enjoyable in manual but a bit "all or nothing"in auto.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  18. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

We have a 2002 Fiat 2.8 (Laika) with auto ... brilliant ... I am a lorry driver and have driven both manual and auto cars/busses/lorries and artics and given a choice autos all the way these days. The problems with the auto changing too much on hills etc can easily be overcome by using the manual override and holding the auto in which ever gear you prefer. Maybe not the fastest gearbox on take off .... but eh .... it's a MH not a racing car .. kick down should work well for overtaking if the set up is well configured .. MPG just done a check on ours and we are getting 23/24 mpg fully loaded to 3.5 tonnes .... as with everything it is reflected on the size of the right foot ..... pedal hard down ... glug... glug ... cruise control is also very good at returning good mpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. musson

musson Funster

Hi i drive about 30k miles per year and my last four cars have been auto I would never go back to a manual if your stuck in traffic just us brake on/off and let the vehicle move slowly.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Qzx

Qzx Read Only Funster

Thanks everyone, your replies have been very helpful, have just had a test drive and although appeared a bit slow starting off round a round about (which I am sure I will get used to) and trying to use the invisible clutch, I found the drive okay etc.

• Like Like x 3