Automatic Or Manual (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we are about to order a carthago c line xl cant decide on aoto or manual geerbox i got told by my local adams moray not to have the auto box but most larger fiat motorhomes seem to be auto any thoughts

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I know nothing about the Cathago or Fiat but for me the comfort of an automatic especially in slow moving traffic is a must.
My car has a six speed box and its like stirring a pudding , far prefer driving my RV with its auto .(y)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Been driving autos for over 15 years so it was a must for me on my new van. Hired a manual van before deciding to buy and the winding, up and down roads in Scotland confirmed my suspicions that gear changes would be frequent. Some will say that you will spend a lot of time on motorways in top gear so why would you need an automatic. Fair enough, however, there will be many miles done in traffic, winding roads, small country roads etc and that, in my humble opinion, could lead you regret not paying that little bit extra for the auto. I have only had my van for a month but so far, I have loved the comfortmatic box. I also upgraded the engine to 150BHP and I suggest you consider that also but if I am looking at the correct van you are about to order, I woud go with the 3.0L 180BHP. BTW, what explanantion did your dealer give you for not choosing the auto. Good Luck(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
Auto every time, my first bus with an autobox is the rapido,its a 7 speed coupled to a merc diesel turbo, the gearchange is seamless there is no longer any stress about which gear to select going up hill, this coupled with cruise control allows me to leave the ferry at santander and arrive in the algarve in one sitting only stopping once for fuel.
Its heaven sat in a connelly hide armchair, ankle deep in wilton carpet, i sometimes drive in my slippers and wear my smoking jacket :).
Seriously though, auto with cruise the most stress free way to travel.
Cheers
Andy.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The merc proper 7 speed auto box so probably yes. but fiat not a proper auto, so not so sure, personally I dont think I would like it from what I have read, plus I quite enjoy driving and selecting my own gears. Just try before you buy it's a lot of money to get it wrong!:(

I live in london but most of my camper driving spent on the open road in high gear on cruise.... So always manual for me unless fiat introduce a proper auto box, then I could be tempted....

A friend went for it without trying it and remains unconvinced, I trust his opinion

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have found that auto boxes, as you get older, allow your mind to concentrate on the things happening around you rather than the gearbox?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have found that auto boxes, as you get older, allow your mind to concentrate on the things happening around you rather than the gearbox?

Oddly, I find exactly the opposite !
Chasing gears keeps me awake and alert on long hauls

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
i like my auto box hymer but it brings the GTW down on sprinter against same model manual

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Comformatic box is excellent and there is no way I would buy another motorhome without one.
My feelings exactly, but if you do take a test drive just be aware it may feel odd. It has taken me quite a while to really get used to and appreciate it. Initially my instincts were telling me it was wrong to just bowl up to a junction with nothing for my feet or hands to do. Now it feels normal, but it took several thousand miles to get there! However, some folk find change difficult to adapt to and if you are one of those it may not be for you.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Personally, I have always preferred manual gearboxes, having said that I bought a Ford Scorpio once, had an auto box, very smooth and nice. I was a tugger then and the first time we towed the van we had a fire under the bonnet. Apparently the gearbox got too hot and the wiring loom ignited. Bit un-nerving, called it a "Scorchio" after that and soon went back to a manual. Never driven an auto or comfort motorhome so will just have to get on with changing gear when I want to, not when the van want's to..... What I call real driving...:winky:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Mart grump

I love Autos for cars but I am happy to have manual in the van at the moment, if we ordered new I would most likely go manual but torque converter Auto not robotised.

Just to explain in case you dont know, some Auto boxes are actually manual boxes operated automatically (robotised) and they have a clutch as well, comfortmatic is one of these designs and is the only "Auto" available on the Fiat chassis. The other design is usually found in Mercs (not Sprintshift), Americans and the IVECO 8 speed from the start of this year, they are often called "full Auto" they rely on a torque converter to send the drive to the box and then the box itself is made of sets of gears switched in and out by clutches or bands.

I would say a "full Auto" is smoother and has no clutch to wear out but lots of people have the Fiat Comfortmatic and love it so if I was in your boots I would try the Auto first and if you like it order it but just remember it has a clutch.

EDIT When I say clutch, it is an automated clutch not a pedal.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My car is auto and I love it, the trouble is that anything else I bought with an auto gearbox would have to live up to that.

The motorhome is manual and that's fine too. I enjoy driving it.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Modern auto's are designed to lock up the torque converter at cruising speeds, making them almost as efficient as manual boxes when driving on motorways. Auto for me everytime.

Ian

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Modern auto's are designed to lock up the torque converter at cruising speeds, making them almost as efficient as manual boxes when driving on motorways. Auto for me everytime.

Ian

Yes but thats only if they have a torque converter in the first place, you are right about the efficiency but its also down to the fact that "Autos" are now getting the same number of ratios as the manual equivalent.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Comformatic has a couple of quirks, but overall it's a great box would never have a manual van again.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Young me."I don't want an auto box"..... Old me."With auto please" LOL. Todays traffic is easier to cope with,with an automatic,another plus is,with the Renault we have,it changes down of its own accord going down hill,sensors in the gearbox "Do" something,love it.
"Chasing gears ?" Been there,done that and yes,it does focus your mind and/or... Keep you AWAKE LOL. It is your choice,mine would be the biggest lump under the bonnet,with auto box,sorted. Best of luck with your choice.
Tea Bag

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have auto on my car, 6 speed, and manual on the mh, also 6 gears.
I prefer the auto in towns but mountain passes much better on manual. The auto can be locked down when descending hills but still needs excessive use of the brakes compared to the automatic. I suppose on balance that I am fairly neutral on the matter.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I prefer the auto in towns but mountain passes much better on manual. The auto can be locked down when descending hills but still needs excessive use of the brakes compared to the automatic. I suppose on balance that I am fairly neutral on the matter.
yes i have that same view .
auto,s do seem to require more brake use.
friends use much more braking than me .
mind i,m lucky my little mitsubishi comes with an exhaust brake .
great bit of kit.
have had them on several trucks over the years but now going down mountain roads in spain or morocco i hardly press the brake pedal.
give me manual and exhaust brake every time .
fiats and cummins dont have much engine braking at the best of times i found .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not with a Comformatic if anything it selects too lower a gear when descending hills, often flick it into manual and change up a gear, don't need to touch the brakes.

Reactions: DBK

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Post-purchase rationalization..I see a lot of this when this topic comes up. that why I trust my mates opinion and remain unconvinced as far as Fiat go....

and how some can just tick the options box when buying a van beggars belief, try before you buy :)

"Post-purchase rationalization, also known as Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome, is a cognitive bias whereby someone who has purchased an expensive product or service overlooks any faults or defects in order to justify their purchase. It is a special case of choice-supportive bias.

Expensive purchases often involve a lot of careful research and deliberation, and many consumers will often refuse to admit that their decision was made in poor judgment. Many purchasing decisions are made emotionally, based on factors such as brand-loyalty and advertising, and so are often rationalized retrospectively in an attempt to justify the choice."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Again it depends on the type of "Auto" box a traditional torque converter will have a bit of slip so will need more brakes but a robotised manual is just a manual without a clutch pedal or direct gear linkage so no different.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Post-purchase rationalization..I see a lot of this when this topic comes up. that why I trust my mates opinion and remain unconvinced as far as Fiat go....

and how some can just tick the options box when buying a van beggars belief, try before you buy :)

"Post-purchase rationalization, also known as Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome, is a cognitive bias whereby someone who has purchased an expensive product or service overlooks any faults or defects in order to justify their purchase. It is a special case of choice-supportive bias.

Expensive purchases often involve a lot of careful research and deliberation, and many consumers will often refuse to admit that their decision was made in poor judgment. Many purchasing decisions are made emotionally, based on factors such as brand-loyalty and advertising, and so are often rationalized retrospectively in an attempt to justify the choice."

Broken Link Removed
How is your expression when you look in the mirror :envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy:. What's this about really, is it that you wish you hadn't trusted your mate and bought a comfortmatic, bet it is ;). Ticking boxes is great fun, all of those toys to play with(y)(y). I once ticked a box for sunroof on a convertible ;) . I am sure the OP will review the replies and do his own bit of due diligence. Whatever he chooses, I wont be posting any judgement, each to their own eh ;)

Reactions: DBK

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Re auto boxes / manual boxes and braking et al

I still remember my driving instructor ( I only had a couple of lessons ) asking me what was cheaper and easier to fix, a clutch or brakes.. I was 17 and just guessed at brakes..
Correct says he says.. along with a lot of other griff !!!

I believe what he was trying to say was brake until you are at the required speed then select a suitable gear.. This was London driving in the mid 60's so most of the time it was either 30ish or stop .. little real point in going up and down the box as it just wore stuff out

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
How is your expression when you look in the mirror :envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy::envy:. What's this about really, is it that you wish you hadn't trusted your mate and bought a comfortmatic, bet it is ;). Ticking boxes is great fun, all of those toys to play with(y)(y). I once ticked a box for sunroof on a convertible ;) . I am sure the OP will review the replies and do his own bit of due diligence. Whatever he chooses, I wont be posting any judgement, each to their own eh ;)

A bit contradictory that, but never mind..as you seem to be advocating the same as me. Far from regretting anything i like the 6 speed manual once its worn in and that takes a while. Actually I'm selecting next van now, if it was a Merc base with proper auto I would consider it, but Fiat no way...but that is just me:coffee:

while its OK to canvas opinion, it is what it is...opinion.....Tried simply to point out some opinion more biased than other:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back