Autogas filler point on Apache (1 Viewer)

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Just getting ready to fit an external gaslow filler point to my 2007 Apache 634U has anyone done this and where did they fit it. I would prefer a bit higher than in the skirt to avoid back problems also not wanting to start a long discussion on fitting it inside the locker,its going outside.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
getting through the sidewall is the easy bit with careful planning and measuring but you then have to consider how to get the fill pipe from filler point into the gas locker, unless you're having an underslung tank fitted.
Fitting to the skirt could be as simple as routing through the gas locker drop vent.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Read the guidelines on the Gaslow web site to make sure you are safe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've fitted an external fill to @irnbru apache and I put it in the skirt after fitting a couple of bracing struts... I'm sure she posted a couple pictures on a thread but I wouldn't have a clue how to find them..
Fitting in the side wall of the van is a lot more difficult due to the depth... involves two different diam holes which have to be concentric,and if it communicates with the van internal space a rubber housing has to be fitted round the hose to prevent the gas release when disconnecting entering the van....
I don't know if it's even acceptable now but a few years back they still gave instructions on how to do that and sold the rubber boot I mentioned above...
The skirt is really your best option....
Andy

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The service dept manager at our local dealership said they're only allowed to fit them to the gas locker door now. Not sure if that's a national thing or just their company's policy.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
I did see an Apache with one around half way up the gas locker and between the locker and fuel filler but at that time I didn't take a lot of notice.
The service dept manager at our local dealership said they're only allowed to fit them to the gas locker door now. Not sure if that's a national thing or just their company's policy.
Thats interesting the Gaslow installation instructions that came with it says do not fit to door.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Thats interesting the Gaslow installation instructions that came with it says do not fit to door.

I'm looking at the Gaslow instruction booklet the service dept left behind in the MH, and it says fitting to the door is OK but only if you use a right-angled adapter (part no. 01-4210) to avoid putting stress on the hose. Think I'll be double checking for that next time I've got the MH home.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Neither.....its the easiest for them...direct from door to bottle in the same compartment.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
IMG_20170308_200652472.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if you use a right-angled adapter .

Ideally you would mount the filler at one side so you the biggest possible horizontal "U" in the pipe for the minimum twisting.

We have a two tank locker with one tank so the other side stores the BBQ which means it is opened regularly, I'm glad the filler is through the wall.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've fitted an external fill to @irnbru apache and I put it in the skirt after fitting a couple of bracing struts... I'm sure she posted a couple pictures on a thread but I wouldn't have a clue how to find them..
Fitting in the side wall of the van is a lot more difficult due to the depth... involves two different diam holes which have to be concentric,and if it communicates with the van internal space a rubber housing has to be fitted round the hose to prevent the gas release when disconnecting entering the van....
I don't know if it's even acceptable now but a few years back they still gave instructions on how to do that and sold the rubber boot I mentioned above...
The skirt is really your best option....
Andy
This is the only one I remember of your handy work, Andy, but it only shows the bottles and locker hoses not the filler. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/gas-on-while-driving.110299/page-2
Maybe I missed another one?

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
The Apache 634u door is an top hinged door so would need a long hose which I would not like to fit to the door.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

The leaflet I'm reading was published in March 2015 and has an additional section above the one titled 'Do NOT!.' on your sheet. Its title is 'Fitting the Filler Point in the door' and it explains how the 90 degree adapter should be used.

Above the section I've mentioned, Gaslow have added a red warning panel (not visible on your leaflet) stating "IMPORTANT Opening the locker door to fill up may cause some stations to refuse filling". The filler was fitted in the door of my MH within the last three weeks.

In the end it's up to individuals to choose how they have the thing installed - I'm just repeating what was said to me at the dealership, which was door or nothing. As the Gaslow cylinder fitting was part of the trade in deal on my last MH and wasn't costing me anything for parts or labour I went with the door. I will however check for the 90 degree adapter next time I open the locker.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
This is the only one I remember of your handy work, Andy, but it only shows the bottles and locker hoses not the filler. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/gas-on-while-driving.110299/page-2
Maybe I missed another one?
Hi Grant... thanks.... that's not the one I was thinking of...
It showed the external fill and the bracing brackets...
One day I'll make an effort to learn how to use the search facility...:)

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
My instructions may well be an older version and they have changed their mind on the door fitting.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If your gas locker is at the front like this:

5656521-auto-trail-apache-634u-se-1.jpg

You could do this:

or this

Or if you want it higher you could see if you can get it up higher than the fuel filler but that could prove difficult!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The Apache 634u door is an top hinged door so would need a long hose which I would not like to fit to the door.

Yes, our Burstner is the same, it's a long way for the pipe to move. I originally fitted it in the locker, a nice safe easy place but moved it when there was news of filling stations not accepting it there.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Grant... thanks.... that's not the one I was thinking of...
It showed the external fill and the bracing brackets...
One day I'll make an effort to learn how to use the search facility...:)

image.jpeg image.jpeg (y)

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Minxy girl That is around where I want to fit it but mine is a 2007 model and its not the same as the photo that must be a much newer Apache,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minxy girl That is around where I want to fit it but mine is a 2007 model and its not the same as the photo that must be a much newer Apache,
Ah, it came up when I searched for a 2007 model but yours must be a late registered older style model like this I assume:

$_86.JPG

If so, you could run the pipe out through a drop vent in the locker and up to the rear between the moulding and the back of the MH wall.

Picture1.jpg

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Ah, it came up when I searched for a 2007 model but yours must be a late registered older style model like this I assume:

$_86.JPG

If so, you could run the pipe out through a drop vent in the locker and up to the rear between the moulding and the back of the MH wall.

View attachment 151288
No mine is the newer cab its a November 2007 I will post a picture tomorrow of the area around the gas locker that I am considering fitting the filler point

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
One good reason for not fitting it in the locker door is that you are less likely to be refused a fill-up in France. Some Funsters have reported problems when a forecourt attendant sees gas bottles and assumes the customer is trying to refill standard 'calor-type' bottles. If all they see is a filler point, they assume you are filling an lpg tank for the engine.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
One good reason for not fitting it in the locker door is that you are less likely to be refused a fill-up in France. Some Funsters have reported problems when a forecourt attendant sees gas bottles and assumes the customer is trying to refill standard 'calor-type' bottles. If all they see is a filler point, they assume you are filling an lpg tank for the engine.
Go along with not using the locker door as a mounting for the external fill but shouldn't be a problem seeing cylinders as there would be no need to open the locker door on the forecourt.
Andy

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As yours is a modern van, it probably has a travel-safe regulator. If so, do you keep the gas on whilst travelling? In this circumstance you would need to open the locker door to turn off the valve before filling? Just a thought.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would never fit a filler in the vans bodywork on our travels have seen vans that have been damaged as the weight of those filler hoses are lot more than a normal pump hose.
I think in the locker door it is down right dangerous, not good practice a high pressure hose in a moving door.
From a filling point of view I don't like it in the skirt (I have back problems) but it is the best and safest place.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
From the point of view of a robust mounting point, without 'damaging' any body-work, this is a good location in older Hymers (not sure about the newer versions). Perhaps an idea for any other vans that have a similar front plate at the bottom of the locker door? It hinges down to allow bottles to be removed which, of course, mine never is. The only downside is that I still have to open the locker door to re-fill with lpg.
Gas locker.jpg

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
I now have a photo of the area I am thinking of fitting the filler point it is next to the fuel filer on the flat area just to the right of it. As the fuel filler is recessed the panel I am thinking of using should be rigid due to the 90 degree bend in it. I was hoping someone has already fitted one there and could offer some advise especially rear access to this panel.

Attachments

• IMG_20170309_080318980.jpg
    IMG_20170309_080318980.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 23

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Its a case of getting out an old cushion and a good torch, laying on your back with your head under the camper and having a shuftie/feel to see how much space there is behind the panel as that's the only way you'll be sure.

If you want to keep the hole as small as possible go for the square type filler rather than the large round one - you can always spray paint the filler cover/surround white before fitting it to match (they only come in black). Also as you can get them with the 90 degree angle they aren't so 'long' as the large round ones either so are more likely to fit as I suspect there wouldn't be sufficient space behind the panel for the depth of the larger round one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back