Autogas 2000 vs Gaslow (1 Viewer)

dooney

Free Member
Apr 11, 2008
Northants
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
We are looking to go along the refillable gas bottle route, mainly for europe, there appears to be autogas 2000 and gaslow.

The autogas bottles seem to be half the weight of the gaslow ones, are there any other pros and cons between the two systems or companies?

Thank you in advance

Jerry

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
if it is mainly for europe , why would you fit refillable bottles as gas is easily and cheaply available there ?
what countries do you visit ? do you have on board or on the bottle regulators ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The autogas bottles seem to be half the weight of the gaslow ones, are there any other pros and cons between the two systems or companies?

Thank you in advance

Jerry

Can't beat light weight. I've never seen the Autogas ones before. I have Gaslow. It works a treat except in Spain where filling stations are not so common.

My only comment is the Gaslow filler looks better. The UK bayonet is built in whereas the Autogas one you screw in an adaptor. However, on the continent I have to screw in the appropriate adaptor anyway.

It seems a better solution to anyone touring many countries than trying to organise a local cylinder in whatever country you run out in. It wins here where we get ripped off exchange cylinders and if setting off on a long trip you might exchange a half full one to be sure you have a full one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jerry

Refillable is definitely the way to go. I have a fixed LPG tank and it's a lot easier to get that filled than look for exchange bottles and faff about with different regulators.

However, if your going to do an extended stay or tour in Spain there are only about 50 or so LPG refilling stations, sounds a lot, but Spain is a big country and you may be many miles from an LPG station when you need to refill, so exchanging bottles may be more convenient ..

Courtesy of Olley Spain Map LPG Stations

I have no experience of either refillable systems, but as you say, the Autogas have lighter bottles , if pay load is a consideration, (which for most it is), it would make sense to go for them

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
It seems that Dave Newell is an agent. See at the bottom of this page:-

Link Removed

Certainly sounds good. Are there not restrictions in France? - i.e. not allowed to refill at filling stations?

John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
reimo used to do a very light aluminium bottle for refilling. there are several options for refillable gas bottles .cheers alan
ps. no comment as to my sugestions ,ha ha .

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No

Link Removed

Certainly sounds good. Are there not restrictions in France? - i.e. not allowed to refill at filling stations?

John

Have had no problems refilling at filling stations in France and seen nothing to say its not alowed.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Link Removed

John

Always fill in France before crossing into Spain, saves the hassle of looking for a Spanish one. :thumb:

Not a problem in France all the service areas seem to have GPL (their name for LPG). ::bigsmile:

If you have an external filler it looks just like a car that's been converted to LPG so I don't see how anybody would know if it fills a Gaslow/Autogas 2000 type tank or an under-slung one like the RV's and LPG powered cars have.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you have an external filler

I didn't have the courage to cut through the side - especially with no experience of Gaslow so my filler is on a bracket in the locker. No problems so far. But then in 2.5 years I've only filled up half a dozen times and it's all been in the UK.

The one time I was desperate I got a bum steer to a place in Malaga that had no hint of an LPG pump. So 3 weeks panic in Morocco on a part full tank and no problem. Panicked for nothing.

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
We have the Gaslow system in the 'van and it has certainly prooved less expensive and more convenient than refill bottles. For some countries, Scandinavia for instance, you have to plan ahead a bit because the gas stations are some distance apart. We would have liked larger bottles but the gas bottle locker in our Bessacarr E560 is just a fraction too small.
I cannot see the system ever recovering the high initial cost (about £500 in 2008) but, with it being transferrable to another 'van should we sell, I am more than happy so far.
Anyone with a dodgey back will appreciate the convenience of refilling at a pump.
GeoffM :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure how much the Autogas costs but from memory I think it's a fair bit more than Gaslow.

We decided to go for just a single 11kg bottle which we've had for around a year now and haven't emptied it yet! We decided we couldn't see the point of having 2 bottles at the time - and still don't ... unless we were planning on touring in far away places where you can't get top ups for months! Having only one bottle has turned out to be a good thing as our new motorhome won't take more than one anyway! :RollEyes:

From memory the whole set-up cost in the region of £220-230 which included the bottle, filler point & SS long hose, filler bracket, SS hose for bottle to regulator, plus 3 adaptors for various pumps. I got the lot fairly locally as they price matched within about £5 to the best price I could get on the web.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Yes we are agents for Autogas 2000, the lightweight bottles are marketed as "Alugas" and will save you around 6 KGs per 11KG cylinder. Alugas cylinders now include a float level gauge. We are also agents for Gaslow, the only major difference is you don't save 6KGs per 11KG cylinder. Cost wise they are broadly similar with only a few pounds difference in cost.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back