May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi everyone, can you help please?
My dearest friend from The Wirral has a 2008 Autocruise Startrail and is totally disgusted with both it, the dealer and Swift.
He is a weathered traveller and has had several motorhomes but this one is the pits. During the 16 months of ownership he has travelled over 1200 miles for so called warranty work shared between Peugeot and the dealer.
His list so far looks like a vehicle that has been cobbled together with scrapyard parts.
Two habitation doors, 5 boiler repairs and one renewal, new control panel, new shower door (glass shattered on old unit), bonnet repaint, windscreen reseal and new scuttle, new rear wheel spats (old ones cracked).
These are the major repairs but the list goes on to include all the other minor problems. It is so bad he dare not venture abroad and now carries a very comprehensive tool kit with loads of fuses to feed the hungry electrics. Both the dealer and Swift have messed him about since last July to the extent that both his and his wife's health are suffering.
Does any funster own an Autocruise (Swift variety) and is experiencing problems??
Please let me know direct if possible at jwilfnicholson@hotmail.com
Many thanks, I'll keep you posted,
Wiljoy:thumb:
PS At this moment we are only compiling a report of vans WITH PROBLEMS.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
PS At this moment we are only compiling a report of vans WITH PROBLEMS.

Do a trawl through this site and the dark side and you'll find enough swift problems to fill a book.

Mr Doug on here will certainly accompany you to drive a wooden stake through the heart of swift should you feel it.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Yes I have a few AutoCruises and a new 2010 Startrail arriving soon and to be absolutely honest I have experienced very few problems with the AutoCruise range.

In all fairness the van was unlikely to have been actually made by Swift as they only bought the AutcCruise name and not the liabilities for product not manufactured by them before the takeover.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
We have a Starspirit on a 58 plate and also live in Wirral. Only owned it a month but so far so good. The previous owner had problems with the awning light but that is all. I was under the impression that pre 2009 Autocruises were not built by Swift and that Swift absolved themselves of any warranty liability by financing an independent warrant through another company - that's certainly the case with our van. Did your friend get the van from Discovery in Cheshire? That's where ours started out.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi, Our friends is a Swift effort, most pre swift are fine as mine was. It appears Swift burnt the build quality and customer care book when they took over Autocruise.

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Willjoy,

I am sorry to read this. If you don't mind asking your friend to email me their details and van details I will look into this with our Head of Customer Services on Monday and see what needs to be done and get back to them,

Thanks
Andy
aspacey@swiftleisure.co.uk

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
Willjuy

HI,Can i ask which one you have as we are thinking of PX urs for a Gleneagle if we can find one,we have bed at the back and thinking do we need it?.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I am currently the owner of a Startrail however it is up for sale (check the classified) not because of any build quality or any other issues..we are emigrating so this sale will help fund our move

We did have a couple of probs with the van bits of trim came off, the charger packed up,but all of them really were minor based probs..and all done by the dealers we bought it from..(Richard Baldwin Motorhomes)who I can't praise enough...As for mechanical probs none at all the Peugeot Boxer has been a good un no judder no water ingress in the engine bay

The Startrail we bought has been excellent and I'm not saying that cos I'm selling it...It took us round France for 7 weeks this year no worries....would I buy another if I wasn't emigrating..You bet I would

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi,

Yes I have a few AutoCruises and a new 2010 Startrail arriving soon and to be absolutely honest I have experienced very few problems with the AutoCruise range.

In all fairness the van was unlikely to have been actually made by Swift as they only bought the AutcCruise name and not the liabilities for product not manufactured by them before the takeover.

Peter

Thanks Peter, Yes Swift are the numties and dozens of phone calls to there part time staff proves it. It appears we need an appointment to make an appointment to talk to anyone who has half a jot about customers.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
What warranty does the van have, Swift or Dealer Insurance based?

Peter

The warranty is a Swift but it doesn't make much difference.
I bought a pre Swift Gleneagle and after three claims the dealer has had to pick up the bill, all the same really, just words that mean nothing.
Wilf

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
HI,Can i ask which one you have as we are thinking of PX urs for a Gleneagle if we can find one,we have bed at the back and thinking do we need it?.

We have the Gleneagle with the large lounge. Swift no longer make these now but there are a few second hand about.
Wiljoy

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The warranty is a Swift but it doesn't make much difference.
I bought a pre Swift Gleneagle and after three claims the dealer has had to pick up the bill, all the same really, just words that mean nothing.
Wilf

If it is a pre Swift van, then it is nothing to do with Swift, they did not make the van.

As I understand it the van was bought from the old AutoCruise who went bust, the dealers had to put an insurance based warranty on the vans at their cost.

Swift supplied spares at cost price where they could as a goodwill guesture, the appliances were covered under the various separate manufactures warranties as are all new vans.

This all happened before our time as AutoCruise dealers, we only took on AutoCruise when they became Swift owned.

I believe that because the old AutoCruise went bust, dealers with vans on stocking plans could have ended up with a very good price and a good earn so they have nothing to grizzle about. Could be wrong but.....................

I think Swift have acted honourably on these vans not made by them.

Peter

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
If it is a pre Swift van, then it is nothing to do with Swift, they did not make the van.

As I understand it the van was bought from the old AutoCruise who went bust, the dealers had to put an insurance based warranty on the vans at their cost.

Swift supplied spares at cost price where they could as a goodwill guesture, the appliances were covered under the various separate manufactures warranties as are all new vans.

This all happened before our time as AutoCruise dealers, we only took on AutoCruise when they became Swift owned.

I believe that because the old AutoCruise went bust, dealers with vans on stocking plans could have ended up with a very good price and a good earn so they have nothing to grizzle about. Could be wrong but.....................

I think Swift have acted honourably on these vans not made by them.

Peter

Thanks Peter,
The van is SWIFT BUILT and NOT original Autocruise. Do you think the old Autocruise management would build something of such poor quality. Even if they did the problems would be sorted after one phone call. This has gone on for nearly 18 months with several letters and telephone conversations with Swiftand still no further forward.
Wilf

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back