autocruise starfire

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sheepman, Jul 19, 2016.

1. sheepman

sheepman

Hello,
    as a new comer to the motorhome scene, we are looking at a 2 berth model to purchase and have viewed a 10 year old auto cruise star fire based on the Peugeot, it has a 2.8 hdi engine and seems a clean vehicle.

I would appreciate any info on pros and cons of this model if anyone can help it appears to have some self levelling suspension? as there are 2 pressure gauges behind the drivers seat.
    It is at a dealers and we will be going back this weekend for a closer look.

Thanks

2. keith

keith Funster

It's got air assisted suspension, that's what the gauges are for.
    Gives you more payload and helps levelling but it's not automatic it has to be pumped up, I carry a tyre inflater to set mine but maybe that one has a compressor built in.
    If the layout suits you go for it. Had my Starseeker since 2007 and am well pleased with it

3. Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour Read Only Funster

At that age/era there are two factors, condition which you can see check yourself.

Then DAMP, which can be a killer to a van. If your happy with the condition I would have a damp check carried out myself and not rely on the dealer report. Other than damp most things can be fixed easily if a problem occurs. There's a good chance the van is dry and ok but for a small cost you can be sure.

The gauges are likely to be air suspension not levelling.

4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I read somewhere that having air suspension decreases your payload?

5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Morning Sheepman and welcome, we have the Autocruise Wentworth on a Peugot chassis and it has been great, just back from France and it never missed a beat.
    The gauges are for air bag suspension on the rear axle to help make a smoother ride with less crashing about over bumps and help to stop the rear end looking overweight.
    Check to see if the MGW has been raised from 3500kgs to perhaps 3750kgs or the capacity for personal items will be nearly nil.
    Good luck.

6. keith

keith Funster

No, in can increase your payload though.

7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I think what @Welsh girl meant is that it's heavy Keith. Without air the MGW is set but with it added it can be raised. Ours totally empty weighed in @3220kgs which would have been a disaster but then I checked and it had been uprated. You live and learn. :rolleyes::D

8. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Check for any signs of waters staining on the plywood under the cushions below the windows
    I have know these windows to be fitted without sealant and just silicon around the outside frame edge which is major short cutting by the builder who will be autocruise prior to their collapse and take over by Swift
    Good solid vans

As with any van be sure to witness the heating and hot water etc working
    Most likely diesel heating

Make sure you see receipts for cambelt change and any other age related work
    Tyre age too ! if they are Michelin X they are original and need replacing

9. timetochill

timetochill Funster

Great advice had a starspirit which was built like this and the wood inside the bottom of the lockers was swollen pushing the outer side out very little that can be done at this stage without major work bought from a dealer in Derby that had stored the vehicle in dry conditions over winter so no signs of damp b"""""ds

10. sheepman

sheepman

Thank you all for the tips! I have now compiled a list for when we view it again over the next week,
    will keep you posted.

11. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

We've had 2 Autocruise vans and both great. The factory HAD to fit air suspension as the rear sag was pretty bad. A case of poorly calculated weight distribution at the time. They also upgraded our vans to 3750kgs but fitting the air suspension will never increase your payload but only make for a more comfortable rude.

12. busby

busby Funster

Only if you have the van up plated..a paper exercise. BUSBY.

13. keith

keith Funster

Depends on how much you want to up-rate by. Ours is now to 3850, from 3500, but depends on which size tyres are fitted and our rear axle is now a max of 2400 on the original tyres as fitted by Autocruise.
    All information from SVTech.

14. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

We had a Starfire, good van, the only thing that got to us was making/unmaking the bed every day!
    Check the tyres are ok-no cracks-and age of tyres, damp and get as many extras as you can into the price!
    Happy motorhoming!

15. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Because its pre swift takeover of autocruise you shouldn't have many ,if any damp problems .i have a 10yr old stargazer and am very happy with it ..buy at right price and enjoy . Roy