Auto-Trail visit

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by knokinonabit, Nov 29, 2012.

1. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

In a short time time we will be setting off to Grimsby to visit some friends and have a factory tour at Auto-Trail.

We will be parking on our friends drive tonight and doing the visit tomorrow.

A report will be posted here on our return. They are going to have their ears bent on all of the faults we still have with the MH and the length of time it has taken to resolve them.
    I will be taking a particular interest in the Quality Control department, or lack of it, it would seem.

Back on line tomorrow night or Saturday am, depending on time etc.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

If there is a Scout on the production line it could be ours so tell them to pull their socks up:thumb:

3. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Our dealer took delivery of a couple of factory fresh AT's last Friday, we called Saturday and had a good look around a Hi line Mohawk with the 150 engine, we were offered a very good deal but left it at that for the weekend.

Aside from the usual sawdust in the cupboards and under bench seats (seemingly an AT trademark) all seemed well screwed together with no obvious defects and I did search thoroughly.:Eeek:

I should add we were not happy bunnies at all when our new Tracker was handed over to us in 2010, there were a lot of issues mainly cosmetic that should have been picked up by quality control (and pdi)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  4. mdixon

mdixon Read Only Funster

Woodworm????

:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. DesRes

DesRes Funster

Aside from the usual sawdust in the cupboards and under bench seats (seemingly an AT trademark) all seemed well screwed together with no obvious defects and I did search thoroughly.:Eeek:

My new Tribute was like that with the sawdust and general bits of debris. Glad to kow it must be written into the spec...:Rofl1:

6. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Have you done any minor dismantling yet! when routing some cables I found, screws, nuts, bolts, washers, electrical ods and sods and a small screwdriver?:thumb: Its been very handy:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I would love to go on a factory tour:cry:--how did you get invited?

8. DesRes

DesRes Funster

Only found a few screws that I threw in my toolbox, after checking they weren't actually meant to be somewhere.:Eeek: It sounds bad but I'm actually happy enough with the way it's all been put together for what is marketed as a "budget motorhome".

(I see that you are retired MN, well done, I'm stilll at it...)

• Like Like x 1
  9. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Email them and ask

We have done the tour - contact them and ask. They gave us a date some way into the future though but it was very interesting.

The staff are all on bonus so I am not surprised that the quality control is lacking. Our tracker was and is still coming up with little surprises.

MikeD :thumb::thumb::thumb:

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/factory-tours

10. cudleydudley

cudleydudley Read Only Funster

while your there at the factory, do us a favor

ask why do's it take 5 trips to get the decals correctly fitted, [they rolled up and one blew off] with over 200miles round trips, and 6months to get right, when thay should have been right from the factory.:Doh::Doh:
    also when i spoke to a director of autotrail about a brand new cooker not lighting up he says push the gas knob, UNTIL you smell the gas then blow [with your mouth ] the gas onto the "CLICKER" this will light it [GOODBYE HAIR AND EYEBROWS.] note clicker is my word as i dont remember the name he said:Eeek:
    also why if you buy a new tribute are you NOT part of the autotrail family ??:Angry::Angry:
    these are only some of my many moans, but you may get a better response from one of the workers
    thanks if you can find the time GEORGE

11. DesRes

DesRes Funster

That's bad George, hope you're van is sorted now but you clearly need a few more answers. It's a shame that what should be a positive experience has been tainted so badly.
    The only teething problems with ours was a defective toilet flush button, changed within 10 mins at the dealers, (they borrowed a switch off one of the show room vans.):thumb:

12. DesRes

DesRes Funster

So how was it?:Smile:

13. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

I picked up my new Commanche 3 weeks ago from a dealer and have systematically been going through all the on board items. I had a Freshlight A/C and Oyster sat dish fitted along with tow bar and electrics. I have been very pleased with the van and so far, apart from a dodgy fuse on the media pack, have not encountered any issues at all. I have not yet been away in it so could encounter issues when we spend a few nights away. We are going up to Cumbria for 4 or 5 days before Christmas so that will be the true test. Overall though the build quality and finish is absolutely fine.

14. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Go to www.auto-trail.co.uk and you can find "factory visits" and contact them and book one. :thumb:

15. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Visit Report

The tour started off in reception, where we signed in and were given a hot drink (from a machine).
    At 10 o'clock our guide, Pete, then introduced himself and gave us a brief history of Auto-Trail.
    Issued with our safety specs we were then taken into the factory and shown every aspect of producing a MH from chassis cab to final finnish.
    A very interesting tour where we were encouraged to speak to the workforce and ask as many questions as we liked.
    There was nowhere that was out of bounds and every procedure was explained fully.

I managed to get to speak about the problems we have had and have assurances that all will be put right very soon. Aftersales is an area the they are working hard to satisfy customer needs, as obviously, adverse publicity can seriously damage their reputation. I will be very interested to see the results in terms of them keeping their word.

The factory works an eight and a half hour day Monday to Thursday so that they can finish work at one on Friday. This is when the tour ends.

I would recommend anyone to go on the tour if they can, even if they are not Auto-Trail owners, or potential owners, as it is an eye opener on MH construction.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If it was not such a serious issue I would laugh out loud..

Word for word, same old diatribe year in year out..

But hey, on the positive side, Swift make them look god like ! :thumb:

17. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

YOU ARE the quality control department

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chris

Now starting to regret ordering an Autotrail:Sad:

19. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Didn't see yours on the line. Don't think there were any Scouts being built as they obviously do them in batches of the same type, usually running two or three types at the same time.

They produce 5 MHs a day and each MH is normally three days in build.

When did they say that yours will be ready?

I wouldn't worry about ordering an Auto-Trail, just give it a thorough going over when you go to pick it up, and don't be rushed on the handover. At least you can contact Auto-Trail direct and speak to them, unlike some other manufacturers. Overall we are pleased with ours, it's just the stupid niggley little things that should be easily sorted that annoy. I would fix them myself, but why should I when it's under warranty. Guess I'm just a stubborn sod.

Our guide Pete told us that he has only twice had people on the tour who saw their own MH being built. You know it's yours because they are all given an individual build number.

One thing we were told is that all Auto-Trail chassis cabs that come from Italy are brought on a transporter direct to them. when it is finished it is sent on a transporter to the dealer. So if yours has more than 10 to 15 miles on the clock when you collect it you need to be asking why and where has it been.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chris

We have been told March 2013 so a fair time yet.

We have a good dealer so hopefully they will spot any obvious faults because unless I hit my head on them, I miss them.:BigGrin: