Auto Trail Scout SE water pump (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
Afternoon.

Being quite new to my (2nd hand) Motorhome I'm still getting all the niggles sorted.

On a couple of occasions my pump seems to have stopped working. Water level indicator says 25% so added more water to 50% and same issue. Then later it's whirred of it own accord then worked once then stopped again. I've also experienced very low pressure on my toilet which feeds from the same pump from the main water tank (no header type tank I can find anyway - correct me please if I'm wrong).

Has anyone experienced any of these type issues and was it the pump at fault. Also what type pump do people recommend as I was checking the connections on it and noticed they were slightly corroded and when removing the connector the lug snapped off the pump so I need a new pump anyway. The pump I had fitted was a Shurflo 2095-204-112 (no way of knowing without your help if this was the original or if it has been changed by the previous 2 owners) but when searching for a replacement I keep getting offered the 2095-204-412. All the details seem the same so assume this would be fine but they also have 30psi offerings and I didn't know if I would be able to upgrade to this or if the piped system was rated to take the extra psi or if there would be any benefit in doing so.

Any advice greatly received.
Thanks.
Dave.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Hi Dave, I believe the -412 pump is the updated version of the old -212, thats all.
The corroded contacts certainly wouldnt have helped and may have indeed been the problem. When you fit the new pump, give the contacts a smear of vaseline, it prevents corrosion, however you will need to clean the old push on connectors or better still replace them with new crimp connectors.
The water tank level indicators are not very accurate, certainly below half a tank so don't rely on that.
You mentioned that once the pump started by itself, these work off pressure and in these circumstances, if all taps were closed could mean a small leak somewhere, hence drop in line pressure and pump stepping in to bring water system back to pressure. It may be worth checking the water pipes and connections, back of sinks and around taps etc.
As for upgrading 20 psi to 30 psi, I wouldn't think it would damage the system as the pipe connectors lock to the pipes harder the greater the pressure I believe, but maybe someone else with more experience may advise differently. That said, is there really any need to upgrade, highter pressure means faster output at the taps but also increses back plash from the sinks, I personally wouldn't bother.
The last thing you mention is toilet flush, yes its supplied from your main fresh water tank hence no header tank. Also no facility for the pink basin freshener. I usually mix a bit of the pink freshener with water in an empty kitchen spray bottle ( glass cleaner, mr muscle, disinfectant bottle or similar) and spray the toilet basin with that before and after flushing, find its alot fresher than just plain tank water.
Hope this assists,
Lance(y)

OP
OP
Dave Flegg
Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
Cheers Wickolad.

Nice to know I'm on the right track and good idea re the spray bottle. Think I will stick to the 20psi model and will have a look for leaks although I've not noticed it do it other than this once. Maybe it was the pump just giving up. It's last breath so to speak. I will change the spade type connectors as it makes sense to know they are all new when I put it back together. I have heard the diaphragms can perish so it could be that if it's the original pump it will be 10 years old nearly.

Thanks for replying.
Dave.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi dave , the pump on my scout cycles from time to time on its own and generally means i have a little bit of air in the system or i shut the tap off just before it was going to re-pressurise after running the tap slowly. you probably havent got any leaks buts its worth having a look around on the boiler saftey valve which vents to outside , its a plastic tee with a clear tube going down through the floor . mine used to dribble sometimes and the pump had to top up the pressure . very easy to fit and only a couple of quid.
with the loo , if you look in the cassette locker on the left you will see the toilet feed pipe and a jubilee clip. right near this clip you will see either an orange or blue restrictor inside the pipe. if you disconnect this pipe you can squeeze out the restrictor with pliers and your toilet will work much better , it was one of the first things i did when i bought the van. all the best sean

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I can only echo the above replys, I did have my pump go last year wilst touring, the only pump local fitters had in stock was higher pressure, I was assured it would be better?, a year on, its worked fine no problems with sligtly faster output.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
I've fitted a Fiamma A20 expansion tank to the outlet of the pump & now the pump doesn't cycle when small amounts of water are used. Also don't get that odd cycle of the pump just when you're dozing off at night! Seems to be a good investment

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back