Auto top up of van battery system (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Occasionally ( due probably to me being paranoid and having THREE alarm systems fitted ! LOL ) my van battery has been a bit low..
After taking advice from the good folk on here, I contacted C A K Tanks and bought a handy little widget that tops up the van battery from from the leisure batteries once they have reached peak charge.
Total inc postage was £28.55, and it took less than 20 minutes to fit :Smile:
+VE and -VE to the leisure battery(s) and the remaining wire off to the van battery +ve

The product number is BCM12 and they call it a:

Battery Charger Manager Prime/Second Battery Equaliser unit !! ( say THAT when you have had a few !!! )

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Often referred to as a "Battery Master" although that is the trade name for a similar product costing quite a bit more @ around £80 squids:Eeek:
Good find:thumb:
Geo

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Maplins also do one IIRC its £10 or £20 and feeds 1amp to the cab battery when the hab battery is full

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
A Question

Hi Guys,
A question which is slightly off topic - but related,
I have looked at these devices before but have been unsure of the following points.
Up to what level of charge is it NOT necessary to disconnect the battery to prevent damage to the alternator diodes?
Will a device such as this have much beneficial effect on a 120AH start battery?
Sorry if I've hijacked this post.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

I fitted the CAK unit too, but only after discovering that the 3 x 100 amp leisure batteries were connected to the solar panel, but not the starter battery. That died a death whilst the MH was OTR for a few months, even though the battery was less than a year old.
The battery manager gives up to 4amps charge.
Theoretically, we should never suffer from a flat battery again, unless some pillock (me) leaves something on. :roflmto:

BTW, I have also installed a Sterling Battery to Battery, thus doing away with the need for mains power.

Cheers,

Jock.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Guys,
A question which is slightly off topic - but related,
I have looked at these devices before but have been unsure of the following points.
Up to what level of charge is it NOT necessary to disconnect the battery to prevent damage to the alternator diodes?
Will a device such as this have much beneficial effect on a 120AH start battery?
Sorry if I've hijacked this post.
Hi Bill
Every amp is of benefit to any battery, it works best when you have solar topping up your leisure batteries and the over spill gets used
there is no danger of overcharging or damaging your alternator

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bottom line..
Things like alarms, powered antenna amps that have not been fitted correctly and are always on, even van battery powered smoke detectors and the like will all, very slowly, discharge a battery
With one of these simple little devices fitted there is sufficient to over come any minor drains going on.

With my electronics design engineer cap on I would happily recommend getting one fitted esp if you have solar panels.. As George said, every amp ( and esp a free amp ! ) is of use :Smile: ( and yes, one chip, a couple of transistors and a few discretes would have done the same job but I really cannot be bothered nowadays truth be told )

With my motorhome user cap on it has now allowed me, same as Jock, to be completely mains free no matter what ( unless some berk press's the button and we have a nuclear winter or some such ! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back