Auto-Sleepers Van Conversions - Hot Shower Duration

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by MJ65, Apr 7, 2016.

1. MJ65

MJ65 Funster Life Member

Hi Folks,

With hot water heated to 60c and Shower mixer adjusted to comfortable how long do you typically find you can run a warm/hot shower for. I don't know anything about flow rates but given the Hot Tank is 11L (I think can't find it written now) and the Fresh Tank 69L, I wonder what is to be expected of a warm shower duration.

How long does it stay as a hot shower, 30s, 1m, 2m, 3m?

Would value comments - thx

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

we can get two showers out of ours.. never tried it on a time basis

but you don't use like a domestic shower. ie .. on all the time..

it's get wet, turn off water, soap up, then rinse..

• Like Like x 3
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

What sort of water heater have you got? We have a Webasto and it can do two showers but tends to run a bit cool on me towards the end if the other half has washed her hair. :)

4. Zoppydog

Zoppydog Funster

Same here
    Chris

5. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Having an autosleeper vc we are both able to shower, but allow time for water to re heat. I shower before breakfast she after. Time run for water is about 3 mins but as others have said, wet, water off, apply shower gel etc, shower off. You will use up all your water in far less than this if you stand under the running water.

6. MJ65

MJ65 Funster Life Member

That's the way my previous motor home worked, 2 reasonable (motor homing so water on water off while lathering) showers but this (and it's new - uses a Truma Combi Heater) but running on LPG or 16a hookup I can't get even one shower out of it. It is seems to run cold after less than 2mins on low flow mixed to warm. I think it should do more as it's basically useless so would like to know from others their experience.

7. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

As others have said 10secs wet down, shower gel on scrunchie and a good old soap down, 20 sec rinse.

We call it a motorhome shower

Easily do 2 showers (in effect about 1 min of water)

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

also known as a sailors shower or a submariners shower

can take a while to adjust the mindset to how different a motorhome shower is. water in a motorhome is a very limited resource and you only heat a few litres at a time

9. chaser

chaser Funster

Yeah same here

10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

When setting the temperature (ie how much hot/cold water) always start off with the cold on a 'slow' flow and add the hot gradually - don't have really hot showers either, just nice warm ones, otherwise you will soon use up all the hot water in the tank and end up with a cold rinse! Once you've sorted out where the tap needs to be make a note for future reference to make it easier to get to the 'ideal temperature' quickly!

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Just a thought ... how long are you leaving the water to get hot before getting a shower?

12. MJ65

MJ65 Funster Life Member

The water heater is on for 3-4 hours prior to testing, the water from taps is properly hot,60c setting, and I am not trying to run the shower hot, only adjusting the mixer to presently warm.

In your experience how long typically should it take to heat full tank from cold?

13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Edit: Just seen you have a gas system, so ignore what follows as it relates to a diesel heater. :)

Not an easy question to answer. Our Webasto prioritises warming the habitation area and only switches to heating water when the hab area is up to temp. One trick is to turn the hab temp down to something low temporarily so it can concentrate on heating water. If we were to wind the hab temp up to something silly it might not heat any water at all.

However, assuming the hab area is up to temp it seems to heat the water quite quickly, no more than an hour on diesel but perhaps two hours or so if running on the lowest electrical setting of 1Kw.

14. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

About 30 to 40 mins, to heat water to 60 on gas

15. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Assuming the boiler is set just to heat water. I say this, as I find it can be hit & miss sometimes when set to heat the room & water. A couple of times I have had cool water in my shower coz the room heating has been on...

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. MJ65

MJ65 Funster Life Member

Most testing done with 16A 1800w electric setting and no heating on as I wanted to know what the water heater and shower could deliver if unhindered with the blow air heating.

17. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Water will take longer to heat if using heating, as I think the heating takes priority.

18. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Tested the water consumption on our Bessacarr with the Truma Combi running on gas only, used to take about 20 mins to heat up from cold. Each shower with soak and then wrinse used about 7 litres of combined hot and cold water using one of those aireated shower heads.
    Cheers
    Ed

• Like Like x 2
  19. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

Ever since I have had a MH the first thing I changed was the shower head for a trigger operated one as e-bay 251611001851.
    Saves having touch the mixer tap between water on-water off thus the water flow/temp control can be adjusted and controlled easier (we think)
    We also had a AS Warwick Duo and could have two showers one after each other in warm water.
    Colin

• Like Like x 1
  20. chaser

chaser Funster

Think this is obvious, but if not, always set your water boiler to the hottest it will go, then when showering set your mixer to warm, then you will use a lot less of your hot water, I have a mate who says his missus can't understand mixer taps so sets his water to showering temperature , well then she only uses the hot and it's gone in a crack(n)