Auto Sleeper Berkshire Tyre pressures (1 Viewer)

Flybywire

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Loughborough
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Have just bought a Autosleeper Berkshire using the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Its a 2008 model. Does anyone know the correct tyre pressures? Many thanks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's not really motorhome make and base chassis that matters, exle weights and the type size and spec of tyre you have fitted are all that matters.

Martin

OP
OP
F

Flybywire

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Loughborough
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks Martin. That is what I am finding and as a newbie to motorhoming I am finding it difficult to get my head around how to work the pressures out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
The best advice is to load your motorhome as you would normally travel - including passengers - and visit your local weighbridge. Get a weight for each axle and then contact your tyre manufacturer and give them the info - full tyre size details and axle weights. They can then give you their recommendations. Alternatively you can get some guidance from this booklet - bother - can't find it! If you PM me I can send you my copy!!

OP
OP
F

Flybywire

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Loughborough
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks Bill, that is really useful and I will cross reference with the tech specifications. Just found the last service guide and the tyres were 79psi at back with 72 psi at front.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks Bill, that is really useful and I will cross reference with the tech specifications. Just found the last service guide and the tyres were 79psi at back with 72 psi at front.

That looks sensible. Are they not show on a sticker in a door jam ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The recommended pressures seem to vary enormously. The vehicle handbook might recommend very high pressures, typical 5 or 5.5 bar. Some tyre manufacturers, notably Continental, suggest much lower pressures based on the weight on each axle. Mine run at 3.25 bar now, much more comfortable.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have found a decent quick and fairly accurate guesstimate is:

Actual axle loading divided by the maximum axle load shown on the tyres multiplied by the maximum pressure.

Example: tyre says 1450kg at 80 psi so that would be be 2900 max for the axle, weighbridge axle weight 1860kg

So. 1866/2900x80=51.3 psi.

Martin

OP
OP
F

Flybywire

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Loughborough
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Never Knew it was so complicated. With our caravan it was 65 psi and that was it. Now I have to consider weight versus comfort versus reliability. Will do some reading on the matter. Interestingly enough Auto Sleeper never bothered to reply to my emails. I would have thought they would have known.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The problem with motorhomes is that the weight can vary dramatically depending on what is carried and how it is loaded, I the guess the other point is you never travelled in your caravan so ride comfort would not play a part in that calculation.

Martin

OP
OP
F

Flybywire

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Loughborough
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Very true Martin. The reason I am so concerned about tyre pressures is that I have had two blow outs with good tyres on the caravan due to incorrect pressures (being advised incorrectly) It was not until I spoke direct with Coachman that they provided the correct pressures for the weight I was carrying (air con plus motormover plus extra batteries and awning) Once I had the pressure correct at 65psi never had a problem with tyre wear for years. I think I will be off to the weigh bridge before long with the motorhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back