Auto Electrics Help - 12v Usb Socket And Tom Tom Operation

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Bill_OR, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

A couple of weeks ago I replaced one of the 2 12v sockets in our 2012 A-T Apache (Fiat based) with a USB socket. Easy job thanks to the info found on here.
    It seemed to work fine but it wasn't until we went away this week that I realised that my Tom Tom Camper & Caravan model really doesn't like this socket!
    The problem is that when I turn off the ignition the TomTom goes dead immediately - no message saying that it's shutting down because the power supply has been disconnected - it's just dies immediately! As a result, when I switch the ignition back on the TomTom doesn't restart and the only way to restart it is the 'hard reboot' - i.e. hold down the power button for 20 seconds.
    Before I put the old 12v socket back, does anyone have any idea what the cause of the problem might be?

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Probably the TomTom.

I have a Go Live 820 which I use in the car. It came with a USB cable for connection to a computer or (supplied) mains plug and 12v plug. Because I also use a dashcam in the car I have a multi-socket adapter with both USB and 12v sockets.
    I tried plugging the USB cable in direct and the TomTom refused to work at all so I have to power it using the supplied 12v plug.
    In theory (voltage/amps output by the multi-socket adapter) it should be OK but for some reason it isn't.

3. tick59

tick59 Funster

Are you starting your engine with tom tom plugged in???? Start your engine then plug in when stopping plug back in you seem to be getting a power surge. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Has your Tomtom got traffic and the aerial is in the power lead, I had a Garmin like that could only use with genuine Garmin lead, otherwise all sorts of funnies happened.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

If it's the USB 1 amp/2.1amp I found they were marked up wrong. No problem once I swapped to the 1 amp which was really 2.1. It sounds like your internal battery is completely flat from insufficient power input. Try charging it up and give it another bash

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

@lennyhb - Yes, I'm using the correct TomTom cable and if I just pull the lead from the usb socket the TT shuts down properly. It only causes a problem when the power is cut to the USB socket
    @Techno100 - have tried it on both 1A & 2.1A connections - same effect :-( The TT battery is partially charged so I don't think that's the issue - it just seems to be disconnecting in such a manner that the TT can't switch to the internal battery fast enough
    @tick59 - I appreciate that this strategy would work but I'm a lazy person and I just want it to work!!

... I guess I really need an oscilloscope on the power output... Anyone come across a free Android app that will do this?

7. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

@GJH - I'm thinking that the easiest solution is to put the old 12v socket back in place as I know that approach will work! Fortunately I didn't cut the Fiat wiring when I fitted the new socket!

8. Techno

Best solution IMHO is to make it always live. That information also on the forum (y)

9. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Thanks @Techno100 - I'll have a look.
    regards,
    Bill

10. Techno

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Tomtom go 500
    twin usb adaptor hard wired in car (3a total) wired ign switched.

When i turn on ign the tomtom boots up, turn key to start and it begins to shut down normally (ign accessory supply shuts down in starter position which is normal)
    Once running the tomtom restarts as normal from the last screen before closing unless the countdown sleep timer expires first then i have to restart by pressing the on button as normal.

I suspect the usb socket is under powered, 1a or less, maybe not enough power to charge AND use and the screen is taking available power due to the tomtom battery too discharged.

It should be no different than unplugging the usb when on PC or wall socket charge...normal shut down mode.

I have a generic 5v 500ma usb wall charger which hasnt enough output to even start the tt, let alone charge it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the cheap voltage regulator used in the chinese usb sockets actually pulls the +ve output to ground when power is cut. this shorts the TT internal battery
    solution is to make the USB socket permanent live
    plus only one of the 2 usb outputs is capable of keeping the TT battery charged

• Like Like x 1
  13. sparky

sparky Funster

Hi I wired a cig lighter socket from the radio lives supply behind dash and used origianal to top lead and threaded to where to tomatoes sits so when ignition is off or on tomtom still has power

• Like Like x 1
  14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I've only 'scanned' this thread but we found that a USB socket doesn't sufficiently charge our TomTom - it will put some current into it, but it never ever got back up to full charge, consequently we now only use a standard 12v socket for the TomTom and haven't had any problems since.

• Like Like x 2
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Predictive text by any chance ? :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

@MinxyGirl - I think that's my easiest option - reinstate the original 12v socket

17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

By recent standards of posts here this is a model of clarity. No 9cm EHU leads or weird recovery companies. Clear as a bell. :)

• Like Like x 1