Austrian Go Box (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK after a total disaster this year in Austria, spending about an hour travelling 10 miles trying to avoid the motorways, only to be confronted with the alternative roads having 3.5t restrictions in place. Next year we are going to take in a bit of Austria, so we will probably bite the bullet and get a go box, just for peace of mind.

Now onto the question, does anyone know if it is it possible to order one and have it delivered to the UK, or do you have to get it in Austria at one of the outlets?

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Just done Austria and did the same as you to avoid the Go Box, but have to say I didn't see any toll gates where you could be stopped and checked. Everyone I spoke to didn't bother with them. I was at Natterer See near Innsbruck and the A12 was the only road I avoided and it was easy to stay on the lesser roads. Search Google and I think you can pre order them in the UK but I think its easier to pick them up at a service station. By the way I got stopped in Switzerland and got away with the fine for not having the documentation for being over 3.5T. I paid 34 Euros for the tax form which lasts a year.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Just done Austria and did the same as you to avoid the Go Box, but have to say I didn't see any toll gates where you could be stopped and checked. Everyone I spoke to didn't bother with them. I was at Natterer See near Innsbruck and the A12 was the only road I avoided and it was easy to stay on the lesser roads. Search Google and I think you can pre order them in the UK but I think its easier to pick them up at a service station. By the way I got stopped in Switzerland and got away with the fine for not having the documentation for being over 3.5T. I paid 34 Euros for the tax form which lasts a year.
Is this the vignette or yet another cost for travelling in Switzerland?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
OK after a total disaster this year in Austria, spending about an hour travelling 10 miles trying to avoid the motorways, only to be confronted with the alternative roads having 3.5t restrictions in place. Next year we are going to take in a bit of Austria, so we will probably bite the bullet and get a go box, just for peace of mind.

Now onto the question, does anyone know if it is it possible to order one and have it delivered to the UK, or do you have to get it in Austria at one of the outlets?

The account ones are only available to people with an Austrian address and bank account.

You have to buy a prepay one at one of the outlets, preferably before you get into Austria. We entered Austria from Italy via the Brenner pass and they are available from most of the motorway services as you get close. The Brenner motorway is immediately toll so you can't wait for somewhere in Austria to buy it or you won't be legal.
You just give your vehicle details and away you go. There is a fee of €5 for the box itself and you have to have a minimum of €75 credit on it so you will be relieved of €80. It beeps whenever you pass under a toll point and when you hear a double beep it's a warning that you only have €20 of credit left. I did notice the tolls seem to be bloody expensive unless the Italian who sold me the box set it for the wrong class. We came through the Brenner Pass and left the motorway just past Innsbruck, a distance of about 45km, and we heard the double beep just before the last junction.

The GO website has a map of outlets Broken Link Removed

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is this the vignette or yet another cost for travelling in Switzerland?

The vignette is only for vehicles under 3.5t. Over that you pay the Heavy Vehicle Fee instead which is CHF3,25 per day if it hasn't gone up but you have to prepay for 10 days. I think it lasts up to a year. You sign and date the form for each day you are in Switzerland. It actually works out cheaper than a vignette if your visit is 10 days or less.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Over 3.5t you have to stop at the border of Switzerland, go to the border office and fill in a form. The guard will register your vehicle, and you pay your toll, and you are good to go, I found it very easy.

I am under 3.5 and think @ approx £27.50 for use of a great road system including all tunnels it's a good deal. wait and see what the germans will charge if they get away with it!

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Dont know what route you are taking,
if you travel A8 use Samerberg sevices
N47°48'06" E12°10'32" we were helped by an English speaking attendant, just take your V5 and your wallet:( enjoy your trip.

Eric

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Dont know what route you are taking,
if you travel A8 use Samerberg sevices
N47°48'06" E12°10'32" we were helped by an English speaking attendant, just take your V5 and your wallet:( enjoy your trip.

Eric
We are likely to stay in Munich prior to Austria, so that is very useful information, thanks :D

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK, perhaps a more complicated question now. How does one prove Euro V compliance? My van is compliant, but I can't find any documentation to prove this, it is not on the V5. Any ideas? Will the Austrian officials know that a Ducato from 2011 is compliant?

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I dont think its relevant as the toll is charged by the weight of your vehicle.

Eric

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I dont think its relevant as the toll is charged by the weight of your vehicle.

Eric
According to the austrian toll site, the go box will by default be set to Euro III attracting the highest rate of tolls, to change the Euro class proof must be provided at a go sales point to qualify for the lower toll rates.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I'm off to Austria in a couple of weeks and have already sent details of euro class 5 and have received confirmation back. Hopefully this will mean the box will be set to the correct tarrif for my Euro class. I managed to get a letter of confirmation of euro class from Fiat as it is not shown on the V5. Will report back how we got on.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
We Came Down Through Germany And Austria, Awful Motorways,Roadworks Every Where. The Services We're Packed Full But It Was The 1St Of August. Every Time We Stopped For A Go Box We Were Sent to The OtherSide Of The services,, Couldn't Find It So Ended Up Just Buying A Week Vignette For Austria....
Switzerland,,,We Got Ours At The Border. We Got The 10 Day Tax But Because I Only Put 3 Days On The form, I Was Only Charged For 3 Days. The Form Is All Printed in German, Didn't Have To Show Log Book Or Any Documents.
Worth The Hassle Though, Had A Great Time In Croatia,Venice Etc, And Now On Last Few Days In Luxembourg.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
When I did mine I claimed Euro V at the service area and got the Go box. You then have 30 days to send proof to Asfinag. I sent them a photocopy of the Fiat CoC and V5 which showed the emissions. I eventually received confirmation letter back stating that my Regd number was compliant and no further proof was needed. If you can do it in advance of travel then that would be best.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have a Gobox bought it on Italian side of the Brenner a few years back. At 5 tonne and 3 axles its horrendously expensive to use so we mix n match part toll part non toll when in Austria. This works ok to a degree but can be bloody hard going on non toll roads. Journey times increase massively so does fuel consumption climbing up and down all those bloody mountains. Bonus is you'll visit some stunning places you'd normally never see.
Off to Croatia next week so be using it again I expect.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks all, I do have a copy of the CoC in the van, I will see if it shows Euro class on it when I get the van back.

MarkandLesley

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Funster No
Just a note with the go box. When it beeps 4 times it means credit as run out.
YOU HAVE TO TOP IT UP WITHIN 5 HOURS or get 250 euro fine.
You can only top it up by taking the box to a service station.
Mine ran out of credit by 4 euros just as I left the motorway, so ended up with 5o euro taxi ride, as I didn't realise about the five hour rule until camped and settled and did not know where nearest go box station was. Also can't be topped up by phone.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We Came Down Through Germany And Austria, Awful Motorways,Roadworks Every Where. The Services We're Packed Full But It Was The 1St Of August. Every Time We Stopped For A Go Box We Were Sent to The OtherSide Of The services,, Couldn't Find It So Ended Up Just Buying A Week Vignette For Austria....
Switzerland,,,We Got Ours At The Border. We Got The 10 Day Tax But Because I Only Put 3 Days On The form, I Was Only Charged For 3 Days. The Form Is All Printed in German, Didn't Have To Show Log Book Or Any Documents.
Worth The Hassle Though, Had A Great Time In Croatia,Venice Etc, And Now On Last Few Days In Luxembourg.

Agree....have always found German traffic the worse in Europe in summer months:.... it adds a day getting back from Italy

If heading for Italy its easy to get through Austria toll free

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If heading for Italy its easy to get through Austria toll free
I have not any trouble in the past, but this year, every road I have used in the past led to a weight restricted section!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Came through Austria 3 days ago toll free even though we have a Gobox decided not to use except for the tunnel into Slovenia. If you have time it can be done but adds an extra day to the journey but for our tagaxle still a big saving.
As for Germany what a bloody nightmare its getting worse everytime I travel there. One 10 hour day only saw us cover 300 miles. One traffic jam after another. Talking to a Dutch guy this morning had the same problem added a day and half to his travel time. We'll be going back by Como and Basel can't be bothered with Germany.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just a note with the go box. When it beeps 4 times it means credit as run out.
YOU HAVE TO TOP IT UP WITHIN 5 HOURS or get 250 euro fine.
You can only top it up by taking the box to a service station.
Mine ran out of credit by 4 euros just as I left the motorway, so ended up with 5o euro taxi ride, as I didn't realise about the five hour rule until camped and settled and did not know where nearest go box station was. Also can't be topped up by phone.

So how would they know its run out of funds and how would they fine you. Also they can only fine you if you've been through a toll surely not just because its run out of funds.
As far as I can remember when I bought the box it wasn't registered to my address though it's been a few years so I may be wrong.
Just interested as someone tried to convince me they bought a box put minimum funds on it and have never topped it up since and never been pulled.
Personally I find that hard to believe and wouldn't have the nerve to risk it.
Still got 100 euros on mine had it checked the other day.

MarkandLesley

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Funster No
I would have got a fine for the sake of 4 euro over.
You can only get a go box with your log book, so they have your reg and address.
You also have to send proof of emissions i.e. email of log book to the head office within a set time.

We met a guy in Croatia with a huge Auto Trail tag axle who came through Austria without a go box or evan a sticker for under 3.5 ton (suppose its just a matter of luck)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
So how would they know its run out of funds and how would they fine you. Also they can only fine you if you've been through a toll surely not just because its run out of funds.
As far as I can remember when I bought the box it wasn't registered to my address though it's been a few years so I may be wrong.
Just interested as someone tried to convince me they bought a box put minimum funds on it and have never topped it up since and never been pulled.
Personally I find that hard to believe and wouldn't have the nerve to risk it.
Still got 100 euros on mine had it checked the other day.

Hi FB I am sure some one posted a year or two ago on here or another site, that they got fined because their GOBox had be superseded by a newer model.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back