Austria

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by haganap, Feb 1, 2011.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

With only a little over 2 weeks to go until we hit the road for some skiing, the bloody French Snow dancers seem to of gone on strike. Hence, looks like the Alps is not yet conjucive to as good a skiing conditions as I like.

Therefore, quickly need an alternative should the need arise. Austria looks the favourite, or should I say place where the Snow Dancers are doing their bit.

However never been, Never wanted too, All I know is that Adolf was Austrian, it's next to Germany, It's a big place, they are crap at Football and err well that's it really.

So in just a couple of paragraphs can you talk me through it in a motorhome?

Ta

haggers.

2. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Camp Alpin Seefeld is RV friendly and English is spoken.

Remember if your RV weighs over 3½ tonnes you will need a GO box for the motorway tolls.

Dick

3. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

We are in France at the moment, spent 2 weeks in the Alps, there is snow but icy and hard packed.
    We have just arrived at Vosges Mountains Eastern France this morning and there is snow here, but not much ski-ing
    We have been to Austria and Germany ski-ing the last 2 years- the first year we kept off the motorways only using A roads it is possible last year we bought a vinette as we are under 3.5 ton.
    Germany try Garmisch Stellplatz it was about 20e a night with a free bus into town, or park free at the slopes.
    -Oberstorf was a good aire similar price and close to lifts ski back almost to your van.
    Austria- try the Zittertall valley there are plenty of campsites along the valley, we stayed on an aire in Hall but you will be too big for that.
    Hope this helps have a good trip, we are home on 6th Feb
    Sue

4. davvidof

davvidof Read Only Funster

We wanted to travel through Austria at the beginning of April but have been put off because we have read that the law requires Winter Tyres between November and April 15th for vehicles up to 3.5 ton, as you have recent knowledge can you confirm that such a law exists please?

thanks

Dave:Smile:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Scotland .. it's snowing today :thumb:

6. haganap

Thanks Vera, would apprieciate some info on the Go Box as well if anyone has a comment. I am over 3.5t (4.2)
    We have been to the Vosages, but sadly in answer to that and Jim's post, Feb half term is a no no no no no... way too busy and as much as we love Scotland, we have already been once to the slopes this year..:Cool:

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Only thing I know about Austria is take everything with you...its damned expensive.

8. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Hi Dave , we have snow tyres with the snowflake on, but are not sure on the law, we thought it was if you are over 3.5ton.
    Try the RAC or AA sites or the Caravan Club.
    There are passes where you must carry snow chains.
    Austria is a fabulous country hope you enjoy it.
    We use Camping Cheques for sites out of season, and if you buy from the Caravan Club with your ferry booking you get cheaper ITX fares.

Sue

9. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

hi paul
    Not able to give you any pointer regarding MH as I am newbie
    But you should not worry too much with lack of snow in Feb for good conditions on piste.
    through not had a lot of snow in January, Most, if not all, big resorts had banked the abundant snow during last December and using these snow reserves to repair worn out piste, and also snow cannons at strategic areas on the piste.
    Downside is big resorts are a lot more expensive with ski passes, and lunches and all adds up if you have a big family,
    Quick checked with SKI CLUB UK site that France , Austria, Swisserland with no snow forcast for the next week or so but piste conditions still range from hard pack to excellent.
    With sun on your face daily, and good condition on piste, It would make a lovely skiing holiday. Beats grey ski , wet feet and clothes anytime.
    You never know, it may still snow while you are at resort.
    Enjoy your trip

10. ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies Read Only Funster

Only campsite I've stayed on which was in ski country was this one

http://www.camping-seehof.com/

Beautiful scenery but sadly they charge electric by the kwh.

You have to have winter tyres by law and carry snow chains - so I was told. Got a bit confused with the vignette/go box as I thought you purchased the vignette if your vehicle weighed less than 3.5t (which mine does) but found out afterwards that it depends on the maximum permitted weight of the vehicle so I should have had a go box but they wanted to charge me nearly 200 Euros to get to Vienna and back from the Tirol area (I guess your charged per km) so I forked out 7 euros for the vignette and risked it. These websites might be of help

http://www.austria.info/uk/how-to-get-there/austria-by-road-1134817.html

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/austria

Oh and take plenty of money - hellishly expensive :BigGrin:

11. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Paul
    Never been skiing so cant help there but we did stop in Innsbruck in the summer for 3 nights on way to lake garda. Stayed at a campsite called Nattersea lovely campsite and Innsbruck was a lovely place. We are under 3.5 and where told could pay any fees when paying toll for brennan pass but they only charged us the price of a car.

Not really much help but Austria was a lovely place.

Gerry

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Welllll.. we are plated at 4.1 tonnes.
    We go to and thru Austria pretty often.
    No idea what a Go Box is, never been asked or stopped.. Vignette is pretty cheap compared to Switzerland, people are friendly, and the pass's are amazing !

13. tommytli

tommytli Funster

we have had a motorhome 4 years now and every year we have been to austria (only in the summer though) its a fantastic place, i think in the winter you have to have snow chains/tyres, if you are over 3.5 tonne you will need a go box, we are 3850kg but play it dumb and just buy a vignette its only 7.70e:Blush: we have never been stopped yet:Blush: we stayed on a good site in st anton once and each pitch had its own heated cabin there are some pics in my profile.

14. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Fill up before you cross the border - yes it is expensive...very much so. But the expense is only revalled by the beauty.

There is also another beauty......it is small enough to enable you to drive through before needing to fill up again.

Enjoy!

15. brodie

brodie Funster

Hi

We have friends who have just come back from Samoens, it didn't snow much but the resort have bought loads of new snow cannons apparantly and they were out alot. It was a bit icy in patches but she said they got some good skiiing in and the sun was shining. They stayed in an apartment but are returning in April in their motorhome. :Smile:

16. haganap

Thanks
    It's not the piste skiing we are after, we generally like going off piste and enjoy the whole winter brasard with snow outside the van.
    As regular French Skiers we have skied in worse condition than that of the moment but thought we would take the opportunity to go over the mountain. I know stacks of very small resort's with bundles of snow cannons, with cheap liftpasses, and great aires if you ever want to take your motorhome, Its just never done Austria.

Got 2 weeks to go yet and the most resorts are offering difficult conditions at base with better conditions up top, however, a lot can change in two weeks, so heres hoping, :thumb:

17. Lynn ( Mrs Ash )

Lynn ( Mrs Ash ) Read Only Funster

Got 2 weeks to go yet and the most resorts are offering difficult conditions at base with better conditions up top, however, a lot can change in two weeks, so heres hoping, :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Lets hope our fingers & toes a crossed , really looking forward to it :Smile::Smile: